I recently quilted a quilt which had some printed photo fabric in it. Bamboo batting and I used signature verigated thread. It was most unpleasant. Matilda was not amused. Neither was I. I'm unsure what caused the looped knotted top thread on the bottom, the bamboo wadding or the thread. But did figure that quilting on printed photo fabric sheets are in future to be avoided. Unless there is a solution?

has anyone had any issues quilting with bamboo wadding and or photo fabric?

thanks in advance

I love quilting with bamboo, haven't had any issues with it at all. Although, the brand I use is 50% bamboo ~ 50% organic cotton ( sooo soft).

Now, with photos.....there have been so many different types and they all are different for quilting on, in my opinion. Here are some I remember...

1. there was on that felt very stiff and as it rolled on and off the machine it crinkled and cracked...definitely the worst!!!

2. there were some that were a little bit softer but I'd tell people that I hate to quilt on it since it leaved holes. If the photos were large I would still suggest minimal quilting. You could really hear a pop-pop-pop as the needle perforated the photos, too.

3. then there is a method where the photo is printed on the fabric in such a way that it feels like it was made right along with the fabric and is nice and soft. No problem at all quilting on it.

Maybe the second one is similar to the one you used. I don't really have a solution, sorry. I just know that I'm not too fussy on doing these quilts, except for the fact that they are so full of meaning for the piecer!

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for you reply.

Yes, I think I had no: 2 on your list. As for the bamboo, I don't belive there was much or any cotton in with it at all. It was very soft and really thin.

The quilt was "groovy" and very creative. The tension issues bothered me, I fixed it as best as I could so I don't think that it will ever be noticed. It was a real PITA. I did leave the holes in the photo fabric cause I was too chicken to spray it with water as I was unsure if they were rinsed and set properly.

I may get some bamboo and make myself a design wall with it. Fabric really sticks to it!

Cheers

Satu

Hi Sandra: I only use Arctic Bamboo for my longarm. We sell it in the store and unless the customer brings in their own batting, they get bamboo. In Canada we get it from

Quilt Source. It comes in 96X120 or 80X96. Along with Hemmingworth thread (Ikeep bragging about this thread but no one seem to bite!) I never have any problems with my tension. Hemmingworyh is an embroidery thread but I use it in the longarm along with Bottom line or So Fine in the bobbin. Beautiful!

Yes! Hemmingworth thread is made in Utah and is an embroidery thread. It is 40wt Trilobal polyester. It comes in 300 colors and every one shimmers like silk. I t also has a unique spool with a clear dome cover that has an opening in the top with a removable rubber stopper which is great for storing. You just replace the stopper with a bit of thread hanging out and cut off the end. The plastic cover stays on the spool as you sew. On your domestic maching you can place the spool away from your machine and will still feed beautifully and never tangle. I have not touched my tension since I use this on my Millie. I use what ever I want on the bobbin. King Tut, So Fine, Bottom Line or anything you want. The colors are crisp and smooth. I like to use a large stitch (8) this highlights the shimmer. My customers get to pick the color and I sell them the spool.(They get whats left and use it on their dsm for appliguing with a blanket stitch, or on their own embroidery machines. It has been a joy to work with and a GREAT selling feature in the store. They only make 5 variegated so far, but I am bugging them!

Originally posted by matildanme

........I'm unsure what caused the looped knotted top thread on the bottom, the bamboo wadding or the thread. But did figure that quilting on printed photo fabric sheets are in future to be avoided. Unless there is a solution?

Satu, I believe your problem with knotted thread has to do with either 1) your top tension is not set tight enough or 2) your bobbin is not wound properly. Did you try a different bobbin? Reason I ask is I recently had the same problem and it was the bobbin thread -- tension was not tight and it was spongy. I re-wound the bobbin thread again and viola! it was fixed.

PS: I love quilting on the bamboo batt. No troubles at all.

Hey Al....

How about sending me a spool of your thread in chocolate brown and I'll try it out in March. Then, if I like it I can get more from you at the show in Binbrook. Then I can be a guinea pig for this forum, too, and tell them what I think.

Send me an email if you like then I can figure out payment with you.

Have a good day...........Sandra

Great info! I have done 2 quilts with photos...of the 3 photo fabrics i tried I liked the Printed Treasures the best. The other 2 were June Tailor and ? senior moment:o Can't recall the other but it was from JoAnn's.

I, too, like the Bamboo blend...haven't tried the 100%.

Has anyone used the batting made from corn? I think it's called Eco. I'll check again as that name might be the recycled plastic bottles.

I like the sound of that Hemmingworth thread, esp. the packaging. How does it compare price wise to Superior? Is it available in the USA? I would think it must be since it's from Utah but I've never heard of it before.

Thanks,

FYI: for those of you who might be 'environmentally' concerned, it is my understanding that the processes of getting bamboo soft and like we might want for yarn and batting and such requires many many applications of very toxic chemicals that would not be allowed in the USA thus requiring the product to be made in 3rd world countries.

I'm new to machine quilting and look at the work posted here with awe and envy, but just wanted to pass this on. It was certainly new information for me when I was considering changing to bamboo to HELP the environment!

Lynn

I'm with Shana on the top tension too loose which cause the knots on the bottom and also Signature thread isn't the greatest. I have 2 quilts to do that the customer brought the bamboo batting, so I haven't done those yet. When doing photo quilts I try not to have to quilt in the picture but if I do, it's just usually an outline and I haven't had a problem..but now Tee Shirt quilts..that's a different story:P

I did a search and found this site. I can't tell if these are wholesale prices and I can't find how many yards on each spool. It does say that you have to order in lots of 3 -5 and says wholesale orders over $500 get free shipping. I really like the storage boxes for these but that would be pretty pricy! http://www.hemingworth.com/thread.htm

I originally ordered the entire line for Hemmingworth itself including the beautiful display case furniture thingy. H A Kidd does supply it in Canada. He fills all my new orders now. His name is Jeff. A very nice young man and very knowledgable. I have never had anyone not want me to use this thread on their quilts. Sandra I will send you a lovely varigated chocolate brown (my gift) but I need to know your address. If you e-mail me that I will do it for you. I am in Florida for a month now but I can call the girl who works at our store and she will send it off. I know you will love it. I pay about 3.99 per spool and sell it for 6.99. No one minds. All of our embroidery people buy it too.

I too have been using Hemmingworth thread for about a year now. I buy it from my local Janome dealer.

It stitches up great, I also get the customer to buy the cone then I give them the remainder when I have finished with it.

Love the sheen on it. No problems using it from the back spool holder.

Our supplies in Australia are made in China, it is a polyester and 1000m 40 wt on a spool.

Lyn stitching on a Millie

Archived