Accu Quilt Cutter

I have the Go! and love it. I purchased it several weeks ago at a craft & sewing show and it is fantastic. Presently there aren't as many dies for the Go! as the Studio but the ones they do have work well for what I am doing and they are quite a bit cheaper than the dies for the Studio. I think I purchased almost all the dies available for the Go! except the applique dies. I don't do applique. I understand that more dies will be coming out shortly - the more systems that are sold, the more dies will be made.

I debated between the two models but since I don't own a quilt shop and I don't cut kits for others to purchase, I finally decided that the Studio model was overkill for me. I am really happy with the quality of the Go! I can cut 4-6 layers of fabric at a time (4 actually works better). Just the other day I used the 2 1/2" strip cutter to cut binding for a quilt (I used the Go! to cut all the pieces for this quilt) and in no time I had all the strips cut perfectly - this die cuts three 2 1/2" strips in one pass. You can double the fabric and get six strips cut at once.

If you are thinking of purchasing one, Elaine Gilmore sells them and she has some of the best prices/deals available. I was going to get mine through her but since they were having a show special and the company was local, my husband decided I should purchase it and take it home with me.

To contact Elaine, email her at elaineslongarm.gmail.com

Elaine also has a video showing her using the Go! Here is the address for that:

Also, there is a Yahoo Group for people who have or are thinking about the AccuCut systems. It isn't very active, but you can learn what others feel about the system:

http:groups.yahoo.com/group/accucutquilters

Angie -- We have the Studio model. We looked at the Go and talked to Accuquilt about both. The Go is a much lighter duty machine. The dies do not interchange between the models so if we had purchased the Go and then upgraded, we would have to re-purchase any dies we had. The Go dies are plastic based from what we were told and the Studio are plywood based. We were told that the Go dies would break if you tried to use them on the Studio with the increased number of layers that the Studio is capaable of cutting.

The comparison I can draw is: a household machine on a small frame vs. a Milli. Both will work, it just depends on how heavy-duty you want to go.

Johnmach

The Sewing Room

Salinas, CA

Sparkle,

Yes, I was worried when I saw that Elaine was struggling somewhat but I found that by putting the Go! on a table that was somewhat sturdier than Elaine was using, I have no problems. However, saying that, I must also say that if you put too many layers of fabric on top of the die, you will struggle a little. I have found that no more than 4 layers of fabric works best. The Go! is not as heavy duty as the Studio and you cannot cut as many layers.

I also use the June Taylor cutting system and it is a breeze and I will probably use it in the future, especially for strip sizes that are needed and there is no die.

Why did I purchase the system? I really like my toys:P This system is both fast and accurate. Cutting is not one of the most favorite things I do in quilting, but it must be done. I really like the accuracy of the using the dies. The quilt I just finished (I need to take pictures) was using the Tumbler die. I never would have made this quilt if I had to use templates to cut out over 144 pieces. I had all the pieces cut and placed on my design wall in a very short time - I didn't keep track of the time but it was much, much faster than if I had to cut using templates. Every piece was the same and all the dog ears are trimmed making stitching the pieces together a breeze. (I have a day job and only get to quilt a couple hours at a time in the evenings. I had this quilt cut out, sewn together and quilted within a week. It is for a QOV so quick and easy is exactly what I wanted.) I just had to match up the trimmed corners and stitch away - no wondering if the pieces were centered properly together. All the HST dies have the dogears trimmed. I haven't used most of the dies I purchased since I just got it, but the accuracy is going to pay off in the long run. My quilts will go together much faster and I won't have humps, bumps, and cups in my tops.

As I said in my first post, I am using this for myself. I don't have a store and I don't sell kits so the GO! is perfect for me. I don't need a heavy-duty model. (By the way, before I purchased the Go! I visited one of the LQS that has the Studio model and watched them cut several blocks - I don't know if they used too many layers of fabric but they also struggled a little with turning the handle although the Studio did remain steady on their table.) If I were making kits to sell or if I made hundreds of quilts using the same dies, I would probably have purchased the Studio. But for what I am doing, the Go! is the perfect model for me.

If you have a LQS near you that has one, I would recommend going over and trying to "test drive" it. I did at the craft and sewing show and this sold me on it.

Hi Sparkle, here is a picture of the quilt I made using the Tumbler die on my Go! Everything went together very easily and it looks pretty good. Even though the picture doesn't look perfect, the quilt lies flat - my binding leaves something to be desired, I really need to work on that:o

This quilt is going to be used as a Quilt of Valor and will be sent to Colorado.

post--13461901269722_thumb.jpg

Hi Angie,

Here's the link Tina was referring to about earlier posts.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=14040&page=1#pid146033

Obviously, I really like (and sell) the accuquilt Go! fabric cutter and the Accuquilter Studio Cutter. The Studio cutter is usually marketing towards quilt shop owners or vendors but lots of quilters have purchased this tool too - the studio cuts 8 to 10 layers of fabric at once.

The accuquilt Go! fabric cutter is new and being marketed towards the home quilter. This system cuts 3-4 layers at a time. The base system costs only $350 and the entire system including all of the current dies costs around $1000.00. Of course, you can pick and choose the dies that you would use the most.

The Studio cutter is much more expensive and can cost north of $2000.00 for a basic set up with a few minimum or essential dies.

The 2 1/2 inch strip cutter and the 5" square charm die cutter are my favorite and available in either model.

I'm sure you've already been to this website.

http://www.accuquilt.com/

Good Luck in making your decision!

Since you started this thread I have been lurking and also reading about it, really didn't know it was there, althoug I had seen it in different ads, just didn't pay any attention to it..... I have no intention of buying, because as you said I can cut rather fast now.

But what struck me was the fabric waste......the few clips that I saw, there was more fabric waste than what I get with my method of cutting....I do waste some, but the chunks I saw left over here weren't large enough to recycle to something else, but just garbage....not sure I would like that. Fabric is expensive enough I don't want to throw away that much. Just my opinion....

Hi! I recently upgraded my Mark IV machine to the Accuquilt Studio and LOVE it. I have a custom cutting business out of my home. I cut BOM and kits for guilds/quilt shops as well as individuals. I love the accuracy of the cutting. The dies are expensive, I have a wish list and when birthdays, anniversaries and holidays come around, my family knows what I want. I was not an "appliquer" before I got my machine, but I recently made an ABC blanket out of fleece and appliqued the ABC's on by hand--I hope to post a picture to my website soon. It was a nice project to work on while waiting in dr's offices, etc. I also just finished my "Let it Snow" wallhanging (picture on website). I cut it out, put it together and quilted it in an AFTERNOON.

I have learned how to place the fabric on the dies so that I don't waste fabric--I agree fabric is too expensive to waste!

I am hoping with my business to save enough money to buy a milli someday.

Rose Hall

www.customquiltkits.com

post--13461901272161_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This thread is great as I have been looking at the Go! and Studio and wondering if I should put one on my wish list.

Questions I have:

1. From the videos I have seen, is it possible that there is rather a lot of waste in the Go! dies, but not in the Studio dies? Just an impression I have from random photos. Note to the Accuquilt die designers: they could be designed to minimize waste.

2. I saw one complaint on another board that her Go! strips were cutting 1/8" too small. As quilters know, that is a disaster. I asked more questions to that poster about what might be causing that as it could be user error OR die error, and it is important to know what the problem is. One thought is that the Go! is either less carefully manufactured or its design somehow requires more expertise to use accurately?

3. My local quilt shop has an studio model for fairly reasonable rent. This means I can prewash and prep my fabric before cutting (it is the lack of this ability that makes me wary of prepackaged, pre-cut BOM kits). True, it is a lot more convenient to own my own (and most of my preferred shapes are only available on the Studio model ie. 1 1/2" strips), but that's such a huge expense.

Note: I am most interested in dies that do what I hate to do ie. very small or very narrow pieces.

Group Purchases: This would be a really good item for groups ie. guilds to purchase. Also a nice addendum to a longarm business (especially if you had a steam roller iron to press out prewashed fabric!)

I did buy the studio model. The biggest reason for the decision to go with the studio vs the Go was the availability of dies in which I was interested. It is very heavy therefore it was fun getting it from the garage to the studio downstairs and set up. Because of other projects with priority I haven't had a chance to use it much. I did make some of the apple cores and with the little notches in them they were so easy to put together. The only time I had a problem turning the handle was when I was turning it the wrong direction. Trust me to find a way to mess up something as simple as turning the handle in the correct direction. I have to say that so far I am happy with it and glad I made the purchase.

Pamela

Guest Linda S

These are really cool machines, but you are so limited by the size of the dies. They are not adjustable. I prefer my Altos Quilt Cut II and Triangulations CD for half- and quarter-square triangles. Not quite as quick and fun, but a whole lot more options and much, MUCH CHEAPER!

Linda

Well after reading all these posts you put the bug up my butt. I was looking for days now at their website and thinking about all the posts on here and....... I just ordered the studio cutter. I got a few dyes to start just the basics in that dept. I hope I made a good decision here, as I was thinking I wanted to diminish my stash in to useable pieces and also maybe either rent or sell kits to my customers. Anyway I need a deduction this year and this will be my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Now I'm in shock I spent money again... oh my!

Guest Linda S

What I mean is that not every pattern is going to call for the size you're able to cut. Also, there are really spiffy piecing methods that can be used that stabilize the bias edge of fabric that you miss if your triangles are already cut by a machine that does, by the way (as Bonnie pointed out) waste a large amount of fabric while cutting out your shapes. You've got to buy the separate dies to get the separate shapes and sizes and while it might be advisable for a quilt shop that will be making up kits to buy one of these, in my opinion (and that doesn't count for much) this machine is a HUGE waste of money. It does save time in cutting, but are the pieces you end up with going to be exactly what you want to make the pattern you've picked out? Or, I'll bet you can use them to make quilts in the additional patterns that they will sell you. I prefer to keep my dollars away from the edge of a black hole.

Linda

I am still watching to see whether they expand the Go! die set. Right off the top, 1 1/2" strips would be useful.

However, the thing that I want nailed down is the accuracy of the cutting. I would be quite happy to treat myself to a Studio cutter set if I was quite sure it would cut accurately. Seeing that one post about strips being 1/8" too narrow gave me some concerns.

I do not mind cutting that much, but even when I am terribly careful, I find my cutting is not perfectly accurate. That is frustrating.

And I can see that as I get older, with stiffer hands and dimmer eyes, cutting is going to be a bit of a challenge...

Guest Linda S

Hey, if you can afford it, go for it. And, if you'll use it and enjoy it, more power to you. I just imagine that 85% of the people who buy these will find them sitting on their shelves next year collecting dust. That Accu Cut will continue to make more dies, I have no doubt. They won't make any money if they don't have more dies to sell you.

I admittedly bought my Altos Quilt Cut 2 because I have trouble cutting (I have a tremor) and it's great to have something that clamps down the fabric and the ruler for me so I can cut easily. I'm a gadget girl to the last, but just something about the Accu Cut has me thinking I'd be spending more and more and more to get what I want. Plus, as I said, I avoid cutting triangles because I like to piece HSTs and QSTs before I cut them apart to avoid sewing on the bias edge. When you sew them within a whole piece of fabric, then cut them out, as you do with Triangulations paper, then you avoid the stretch.

I didn't mean to sound like I was your mother scolding you! ;) I've just seen so many people jumping on this thing that I wanted to throw a bit of caution in there for those who worried that they couldn't afford the latest toy.

Linda

Linda, I appreciate you taking the time to post your information. I will certainly check out the Quilt Cut II next time I am at a show and see one set up.

I like to review all my options before deciding where to put my dollars, quilting or otherwise. So far I am doing ok with my ruler, mat and rotary cutter, and with a local shop offering the Studio model for a nominal rental, I really can't justify a setup of my own!

I've got to say that my experience with this product as a tool has been nothing but positive

I had eye balled the Studio for a while but honestly decided that it was just over kill for me. The GO is perfect. I don't expect it to cut every size nor do I intend to buy every die but I am willing to take the bet that at this time next year it won't be sitting in a corner collecting dust. Anyone care to join me in that bet?

Funny thing is that I was able to purchase this system without charging it. Good thing I am not that close to the big black financial edge, eh? Nor was it necessary to snatch food out of my babies mouths to pay for it either. Whew, that was close.

And one last thing.... That big bad evil company making more dies to sell us fools. For shame, for shame that they might want to make a profit. Gee, isn't that the point of being in business?

So to say that we should probably agree to disagree is an understatement. You know what they say about opinions.....

Guest Linda S

Geez Gail! I certainly didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Sorry! I was just pointing out that frequently people jump on the bandwagon to buy the newest thing and it doesn't turn out to be exactly what they thought. I guess I should just keep my opinions to myself. Again, I apologize.

Linda

Just have to pipe in here and say that I do have both the Go and the Alto Quilt Cut 2 and the Go is easier for me to use. I know it doesn't have a huge amount of dies (yet!) but that's ok, I'm sure those are coming. I love my Go, the Quilt Cut 2 isn't as easy for me.

Oh, well. . . to each his own ;)

I also have both the Go and the Alto Quilt Cut 2. I don't have a space to keep the Alto set up and it is too heavy for me to move to my cutting table all the time. Also, I find that the ruler moves when I try to cut with it and I end up measuring both with the attached ruler and another ruler and I find that the mat never seems to be straight no matter what I do. For most of my cutting, I don't think it is very user friendly. However, when I needed to cut diamonds for a lone star quilt, I did find it was a little easier and more accurate for me to use the Alto than just my ruler.

The Go is easier for me to maneuver to my table for cutting and easier for me to use. I also love how the dog ears are trimmed and the pieces are so easy to match up. I recently made a QOV and cut all the pieces with Go. It was so easy to cut the pieces and make the blocks. All my star points matched perfectly and my flying geese were extremely accurate and I didn't have to do any trimming.

Although there aren't a lot of dies for the Go as of right now, I believe more will be coming especially because they are selling so many units. The more Go units sold, the more demand for dies. I do believe that AccuCut is out to make a profit and because of this they will make more dies.

To me, if I purchase something and it sits in a corner because I find it too difficult to use, it is a very expensive purchase no matter what the price. If I spend a little more for something but it gets used, it is a much more worthwhile and justifiable purchase.

Yes, I am one of those that jump into making a purchase many times on a whim - that is what happened with the Alto Quilt Cut. Sometimes it works out fine and other times it doesn't. Oh well!

Guest Linda S

I'm not actually advocating the Quilt Cut 2 either. I have to admit that I use it mostly to cut strips. I never cut triangles and then sew them unless I absolutely have to. I've learned lots of tips in my quilting career that keep me from sewing on bias edges. Gotta love that triangle paper.

For those of you who have the Go, I'm glad you like it.

Linda

Archived