micro handles by Hartley

Just looking for input on these handles, how do you like them, do you use them offen, are they a must. Do you have any controls, like on, off right at your finger tips. Can you see all the area you are working on, or just by the hopping foot?? Would you use these to micro stipple, or McTavish around applique - stitch in the ditch????

Thanks Joan

Joan,

I don't have these handles, but I certainly lust after them! Especially after seeing Marilyn Badger demonstrate them at the recent Rep Rally in Iowa.:P:P:P

To answer your questions:

--No controls on the handles, you still have to use the buttons on the larger handles, but it looked easy at the demo.

--You can see a relatively large area around the hopping foot- more than enough to do the fine work the handles are designed for.

--Use them to microstipple, outline around applique, anywhere you need extra-close control of your stitching

You'll have to wait for someone who uses the handles to chime in here about whether they are a must - but if anyone's got a pair for sale, I'm in the market!!;)

Love the Hartley handles...use them for detail work, applique, the small stuff...I don't like using them with rulers, just seems like too much stuff around the needle area. On my Lenni the lights are just about the needle, so using the handles blocks some of the light, so I've had to get used to that situation. Anyone else have a remedy. Just for APQS home office, the lights were better on the upper handles, up and out of the way.

Sharon

I'll be the party pooper. :o

I hate them and I wouldn't spend money on them if I had it to do over again. They are clunky, block my view, difficult to use and get in the way if I'm not using them.

I put them on and use them only when absolutely necessary (usually for small applique). As soon as I am done with them, then come off immediately.

Debbi

I have mixed feelings about them, too. I would like to leave them on so they are ready when I need them, but I keep scraping the back of my hand when I do ruler work. I can't seem to get the left side up in such a position to get my hand under it where I need it and not wack my knuckles on the microdrive. I have a Liberty, so I might have less space than someone with a larger machine.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I have them and use them a lot too. I just recently took them off because I gave my Millie a good cleaning, and I haven't put them back on yet. I am working on a custom quilt and will be needing the micro drive, so back on they go. I don't ususally take them off.

I have been reading others messages and so I re-read my message to make sure I said what I meant....

I use my handles sometimes...not often....in fact I probably should be using them now because I am doing some small meander...but I'm not...I don't have them on the machine. So when I use them they are helpful...but I don't use them a lot....but I don't do a lot of tiny work either.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

I have mixed feelings about them, too. I would like to leave them on so they are ready when I need them, but I keep scraping the back of my hand when I do ruler work. I can't seem to get the left side up in such a position to get my hand under it where I need it and not wack my knuckles on the microdrive. I have a Liberty, so I might have less space than someone with a larger machine.

Sandra I will only hit my knuckles if I push the handle up all the way. If I put it only half (straight to the back) it isn't a problem at all. It took me a while to figure that out.

I use mine, sometimes more than others. With me it's a case of Gotta use them for this or Like in just outlining something small, I just use my first finger left hand. I do notice the lack of light, no solution yet. and Klutz that I am, I constantly scrape or bruise the back of my hands.

RitaR

Linda.

On one side of the drive (the part that mounts) there is an angled cutout or notch. That is the side that you put towards the thread path. It allows the thread to flow without hitting on the microdrive.

I hope this makes sense, if not I will take a photo and post it (when I get a chance).

Sheri, thanks for posting the picture of how you attached your light. I've wanted to move mine since coming back from Darlene Epps', but haven't been able to convince my husband. Being able to show him this will do the trick!

And I'm second in line behind Barb. If anyone has micro-handles that they want to sell, I'm in the market.

As a Authorized Hartley dealer we sell quite a few Micro Drive handles. We have had them in our studio for years.

If you are not going to use them for a while just remove the Phillips screws and leave the mount on the needle bar housing. This way they do not get in your way and can be installed in a few minutes.

If you are interested in any Hartley products just contact us. We only charge actual shipping charges and take MC/Visa.

John

Archived