Beef Barley Soup

My family loves soup! I made this soup many years ago and I never had a recipe. I usually just add whatever I think it needs and don't measure much at all. One night my hubby said this was perfect here is a pen write it down exactly now! LOL I did and have been making it that way ever since. I thought some of you might like it. It is very hearty and easy to make.

1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes

8 cups water

5 beef boulion cubes (you could substitute beef broth for water and boulion

1 lb lean stew beef cut in small bite size pieces (salt and pepper to taste)

3/4 cup barley

3 potatoes diced

1/2 cut diced carrots

1 can Northern Beans

Brown up the stew beef in a little oil. Add in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. I let this simmer for at least an hour sometimes longer. You can also make it in the crockpot. High for 5 hours or low all day would probably do it.

A lot of times I use the pressure cooker for it. If using that I first brown the meat, add in tomatoes, barley, water and boulion. Bring to pressure and pressure for about 20 minutes. Cool of pot (under colder water) add in the potatoes, carrots and beans. Bring back up to pressure for 5 minutes. Walla.

Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich, fresh bread or biscuits. Makes great leftovers! Oh yeah you can also add whatever vegetables to this that you want! Feel free to experiment!

Archived