Neutral Thread Color v. Color Thread

gable428

Hey... us "Butla Sistas" must think alike because I have me a set of those ebay dental pics, too! Bought them about a year ago? I love to use them... the best frogging tool, I agree! But I still have problems with that Rainbows thread shredding and fraying. Just gotta be more careful, I suppose...

Tracye - I'm with you. I've tried over and over and .........to tie a knot and bury it and I cannot do it without there being a spot of thread that shows worse than a few tiny tiny stitches. So I do that. I've not done a "show quilt" as yet and I'm not sure I ever will. I'm not in this for the competition, but for the creativeity that it allows me to have - so a few tiny stitches to secure the start and stop are what I'm doing. If it's good enough for Sue Patton, then it is good enough for me!:cool::cool:

My only suggestion on frogging is get out your "over 40" glasses, and then try to frog backwards from the way you've stitched. I.e. right to left instead of left to right. I can usually get a hold of the top thread, and then by pulling on that and snipping the bobbin threads on the top of the quilt.

Now, let's all get out our big girl briefs, and use the fun threads!

Beth, my big girl panties will now fit two people.....so maybe I should just throw those away....and use my now panties..... Not sure I will ever get over the thread scare....bright, neon, pink on purple....to scary for me....maybe next year.:P

Originally posted by Bonnie

Beth, my big girl panties will now fit two people.....so maybe I should just throw those away....and use my now panties.....

Bonnie, I suggest you take those "bigger than Bonnie Big Girl Panties" and toss them in the fire place and let those babies burn! BURN!!! :) It is a rite of passage and you deserve to burn those things...

And then go shopping and get yourself a pair of those thong thingies! Gene will flip! :P

I didn't have any gray thread to match this grayed-blue fabric, and was so surprised when Superior's Lapis Lazuli turned out to be such a good match. That thread is blue and purple, for God's sake, and it doesn't look the least bit gray, but it turned out to be the perfect color thread. It hardly shows on the fabric.

post--13461901334395_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Originally posted by Bonnie

Beth, my big girl panties will now fit two people.....so maybe I should just throw those away....and use my now panties.....

Bonnie, I suggest you take those "bigger than Bonnie Big Girl Panties" and toss them in the fire place and let those babies burn! BURN!!! :) It is a rite of passage and you deserve to burn those things...

And then go shopping and get yourself a pair of those thong thingies! Gene will flip! :P

Oh Shana baby you gave me a good giggle! Bonnie come on I'll take you shopping and we'll get you some Shana panties! ROFLMAO!

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Okay, here is the deal...I must be a cheap skate...okay, I am! Why would you use a more expensive thread on busy fabric, when the pretty, expensive thread is not going to show...I would not do that....am I wrong?

But see, the thing with Rainbows is it DOES show, it just doesn't show off. It's like a lovely pair of diamond ear studs that sparkle and draw attention to the wearers face but not themselves.

It has enough sheen that it draws attention to the quilt and quilting but you don't really notice the thread.

It's freaky, but true. :P

My customers LOVE this thread, but only after seeing it on their finished quilts. LOL.

Also, it's not that expensive to me at wholesale. I don't know if I'd be such a huge fan if I had to pay retail. It would give me incentive to save up and buy my Superior thread at MQS for sure!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Oh Shana baby you gave me a good giggle! Bonnie come on I'll take you shopping and we'll get you some Shana panties! ROFLMAO!

Hey! I do not (repeat...do not) wear those thong thingies!

(this started about thread color and Rainbows and look at us... this conversation has gone straight to the dumpster!) :P

Getting back to the subject... I plan on buying lots of thread at MQS. I don't have much (maybe 20 cones in various stages of use??) Sheesh!

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Okay, here is the deal...I must be a cheap skate...okay, I am! Why would you use a more expensive thread on busy fabric, when the pretty, expensive thread is not going to show...I would not do that....am I wrong?

Mary Beth, I don't know if you were talking to me or to TracyeQ; anyhow:

--I figure that thread is the least expensive part of the entire quilt;

--my time is important to me and I'm only going to use the best components. Why would I waste my valuable time on anything less than the best?

--My (own) quilts are all I have to leave to this world to show that I was here, so I want to leave the very best.

--My name is associated with quality, and my customers know that I use only the best.

Oh AnnHenry, I didn't mean any disrespect to you or Tracey or anyone else. I was saying..."I am a cheap skate" because I look at the price of the thread and most of the quilts I get in my studio are that blasted Thimbleberries stuff that has too much going on to quilt over. I didn't name names, except my own. No offense meant.

Archived