HI I AM NEW TO LONG ARM QUILTING

• 2 weeks later...

I was having the same problem a few months back. First I was not doing the same amount of quilting in the center as the borders, this caused wavy edges all the way around.

Once I over came this. I still noticed once in awhile I was still getting wavy edges but not as bad as before, but noticeable to me. I found I wasn't pulling my rollers tight enough. Just to make sure I did the same amount of tension on the top piece as the backing. If one or the other is off(say top is tight and backing is not), this will also cause wavy edges.

Hope this helps.

Quilting Fairy & Tinkerbell2

Northside Quilt Shoppe

Midwest Quilting

http://community.webshots.com/user/qfairy

P.S. You are one lucky gal to get a Compuquilter. I would love to have one but to many irons in the fire. But will one of these years.

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS ; BEING IN THE GREAT NORTH AND DOING EVERYTHING BY TRIAL AND ERROR I HAVE NEW QUESTIONS WITH NO MANUAL OR JUST PLAIN TRIAL AND ERROR. I HAVE BEEN GETTING REAL LOOS STITCHES ON THE BACK OF MY QUILT SO I TAKE THEM OUT THE FIRST BOBBIN IS FINE THEN I CHANGE SINCE EVERYTHIN IS MANUAL ON THIS MACHINE INCLUDING THEADVANCING OF THE QUILT. THE TENSION IS FINE AND THEN IT IS NOT. IT MAKES ME NUTS BUT TRIAL AN ERROR IS THE LEARNING CURVE FOR ME. THEY ARE LESSONS IT SURELY DONT FORGET. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED I HAVE GONE THRU A TROUBLE SHOOTER GUIDE AND FOLLOWED STEP BY STEP .

It has been my experience that loops on the back mean the thread (not

bobbin) tension is bad.

Check your thread path to ensure you didn't

miss a guide; verify that there isn't any lint or pieces of

thread in between the tension disks.

I clean my tension disks with a piece of thread about 12 inches long. I double the thread over and tie 3 or 4 knots about 1/2 inch apart inthe thread; dunk the knotted thread in

some alcohol - blot off excess and then run the knotted thread between

the tension disks. The re-thread your machine - ensure your thread is in

between the tension disks.

• 5 years later...

Mary,

If you have loops or railroad tracks on the back of your quilt, then it sounds like the top tension, not bobbin, needs to be tightened. There are many, many discussions on thread tension on this forum. I find it helpful to use the search feature (at the top of the page) to read up on a particular problem I'm having. There's lots of great advice to be found here.

Linda - great idea for cleaning tension disks! Thank you for sharing!

Archived