Another Newbie Question

Sunimp

I have been seriously considering a long arm purchase for the past year and keep coming back to the APQS machines.

I don't want to start a business, simply quilt my own quilts and perhaps a few for friends.

With this in mind, do you think it is important to have the stitch regulator. Adding that stitch regulator really puts these machines into a 'big bucks' category that I find really hard to justify for personal quilting. I have looked at the HQ-16 and the Fun Quilter, but like I said, I keep coming back to the APQS.

I know you all love your machines (I've spent days reading just about every post on this board) but I guess my real question is - is it better to go with an APQS without a stitch regulator than another brand with one or do I just throw caution to the wind and go for the Millennium? It's not really a question of whether we can afford it (we could) but more a question of if I would ever get over the guilt of spending so much or of buying more machine than I need.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Irene

I'm still a newbie at all of this. My machine arrived in December, but my job responsibilities have kept me from playing with it much. This is why I bought a stitch regulator. First, it will increase your learning curve on designs because you don't need to learn stitch length regulation on your own first. My first sewing machine as a child was an old White treadle that was not regulated. As a kid, I didn't care. Unless you do a lot of free hand design on your domestic machine (this is non-regulated) it will be a whole new world. I still have trouble relaxing at the machine. With automatic on it's one less thing to deal with. My vote (I researched machines for 3 years and looked at EVERYBODY) is: if price is not a factor go for the stitch regulator. It's a tool to use as one can always turn it off. There is enough to learn on these babies, and don't your own quilts deserve to be as perfect as you want them to be?

Martha

Hi Irene----

What a wonderful dilemma!! I think everyone here will say to buy as much machine as you can. When I decided I couldn't live without a longarm, I ordered a Millie with a 14 foot table. The voice of reason in my house (guess who?) asked me a good questuon---Would I ever need a table that long and also, did I want to have to walk around it a million times a year. I called and changed to a 12 foot table.

The SR is wonderful and does move you ahead quickly--but many well-known longarmers will say they started without one and many times don't use it--like for micro-stippling.

The Liberty has a SR and a smaller throat length which is great for intricate and heirloom work- not so far to reach and great for sit-down stitching.

I suppose what I'm trying to get across is to weigh it all and decide what you can't live without. That list may change after you have your baby for a while!!!

It's very interesting how you progress. You will practice and practice and then find that wonderful technique that you love and are good at. I found myself drawing on a dry erase board for hours or drawing feathers in the margins of a puzzle magazine and then tearing out the "good ones" to file away as a reference!!!

Have a wonderful time making your decision. Sounds like half the battle is won because you have a supportive partner at home!

Happy stitching

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa

HI :I JUST SPENT TWO YEARS DOING RESEARCH ON QUILTING MACHINES. I HAD AN OPPOTUNITY TO PURCHAS AN OLDER USED ONE WITH OUT ANY INFORMATION OR A STITCH REGULATOR ON IT. IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE MILLENIUM I WOULDNOT HESITATE. I JUST TRIED OUT THREE MACHINES WHILE I WAS ON VACATION AND I CAN TELL YOU WITH OUT A DOUBT THAT THE APQS MACHINES ARE A DREAM COMPARED TO THE OTHERS. I BROUGHT BACK A SAMPLE OF WORK FROM A COMPQUILTER ONA A-1 AND THE TENSION WAS OFF I WORKED ON AN APQS AND IT IS LIKE A KNIFE GOING THRU BUTTER AND I DID WORK ON A GAMMIL AS WELL

SO FOR MY MONEY I CHOSE THE APQS. AND I BELIEVE WE ARE PURCHASING ONE . GOOD LUCK ON YOUR DECISION

HI Irene,

I know how you feel. I started looking at long-arm machines and felt I could never get by without the stitch regulator. That was until I took the workshop offered by my local rep. The SR was turned off after about 10 minutes and never turned back on. Not to say I'm perfect... far from it, but I learned that the SR is not everything. I have had my Freedom machine for about a year now (where did the time go???) I wanted the deeper throat and I got the laser light for pantos. The only option I wish I had is the single stitch/needle up feature. If you want to start small, I think APQS is pretty open to upgrading machines, so maybe you can start simple, but still start with "the good stuff" That's my 2-cents worth anyway. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Leslie

I got my Jennie Matilda(Millenium) on September 1, 2004. As I do with everything in life, I flew by the seat of my pants...not really looking at others and just plunging in. I spent about 6 months of the first year pretty much avoiding her and wondering what I had gotten myself into...can I really do this........what if I flop...yada, yada.:mad: I finally rolled up my sleeves and dived in and she is fabulous! The reason I went with APQS is that a friend of mine had a Ultimate 1 and had never had any real problems with it. And then of course, I visited this board ALOT!

If you can afford it go with a Millenium, go for it..I, personally don't think that you will ever regret it. Or for that matter, any of the APQS machines. The APQS team is always there for you and always willing to go beyond the call of duty.

No matter what you decide, don't be imtimadated(like I was) and just have a ball. The creative process is so much fun!:P

AND..take all the classes that you can, they really do help.

Good luck with your choice.

Irene, If you keep coming back to APQS, in your heart will you be happy with another choice?

If you want the APQS with the stitch regulator another option is the Liberty. It is a sweet little machine. With a lot of the features the Millie has. Of course it has a smaller quilting area. But in the future you could trade up should you decide you and the extras and the added quilting space that the Millennium has.

Best of everything :) If you have any questions about them give me a call.

Myrna Ficken

I don't know why you feel guilty. quilting is one of your joys in life. when would you ever enjoy it more. You can share this joy with family and friends. You can quilt projects for charity. You can have a wonderful time. I just returned from classes using the Millie and it was wonderful. Go for it. Get the biggest throat space you can because it allows you more design freedom. Men don't feel guilty buying a boat or expensive golf clubs or motorcycles so you shouldn't feel guilty buying yourself a Millie. Good luck and get over the guilt. Who is judging you? Cheryll in Idaho

Irene,

I am a hobby quilter, too. I would advise you to go to a quilt show or to reps and take a machine or two for a test-drive.

Personally, my opinion is that once you do, you will realize how important a stitch regulated machine will be to get your quilting off to a satisfying start. There are plenty of things to master in longarm quilting! You will be glad that your machine takes care of one of them.

I bought a Millennium, 14 foot table (had the room for it), four or so years ago. What I can tell you for sure is that I have received immediate and helpful assistance with any issues I have had with my machine (always operator problems so far).

Linda/9patch

Irene,

This is a big decision. But do get all of the options you want. Another alternative is to see if there are any trade in models available. That is how I started out and it worked well for me. I didn't go for all the options - specifically the stictch regulator and the one stitch - as they were just coming out when I purchased my first long arm. When I finally upgraded . . . well there is just no looking back. Amy

Thank you all so much for your input - I get such a good feeling from this forum.

I did go to Houston last year specifically to try out all the different machines and through that experience was able to eliminate several manufacturers.

To be honest, I think my decision has been made, I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I have made the right one. I think for me, probably the Liberty would be perfect - I like the size, the weight (I do have arthritis and carpel tunnel issues) and it has the stitch regulator which I know I would love!

I'm sure you will be seeing a lot more posts from me as I go through my final decision making process.

Thank again everyone.

Irene

I too have been looking for over a year now and read this board every day, I know what I want it is just that I am so far away from everybody and have not had the chance to get to the machines or the showroom to get my hands on them. It is a tough decision when one is a hobby quilter but the love of one's life. I know I want APQS as well. Kathy

Hi Irene

I recently bought the Milli...had it for about 3 weeks and am in love with the stitch regulator. I'm still on my first practice sheet because I'm practicing micro stippling and I'm not sure if I could do this without that stitch regulator. I can set it for teeny tiny stitches and have the stippling look great!

I researched for 10 years before buying the Milli....the last 9 years of that were spent on "buyers remorse" before I even bought the unit. I'm so glad I did tho and can't wait to get my first workshop lessons in March.

Rita

I just bought a used Millie (Ruthie) this is my first longarm, I think having the SR has made my learning experience so much more enjoyable. I didn't have to spend hours learning her. I have already done 11 charity quilts and each and every one has turned out wonderful. I say go for the Millie.

Sewbobby

My Millennium was delivered just last week. I tried two other brands at the only two quilt shows I've ever been to. I had never heard of a longarm until last October. Once I tried one and the thought got into my mind, I just had to find one for me. I also thought of the expense and was going to go for non-stitch regulated, or the smaller Liberty. I debated and felt guilty and then my husband said, "Didn't you set money aside when you were working? Maybe it was for this. Get the one that you really want."

SOLD! I did get the one I wanted and I hope to quilt for myself, friends and do a part time business.

Judy in NH

I'm really new at all of this - just got my machine on Tuesday. I don't know much about other machines out there - in Europe there aren't alot of machines available BUT all I know is that I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days with some of the people from APQS and I am sold on their machine not simply because it is a fabulous tool but also because they are a great group of people who I am proud to be associated with. In this day and age, I think that counts for alot!

My husband bought a brand new motorcycle July 2003. Then I started trying to figure out how to buy a long arm machine. My sister asked if I had refinanced our mortgage while the rates were low. So we ended up refinancing, saving enough to buy a really nice machine and some cash without changing the length of our loan or monthly payments. So I got something to play with that makes me some extra money and he just got a new toy. He does give me rides on it, we went to St Charles MO last summer to see all the quilt shops. I agree with everyone else, get as much as you can afford and you have the space for in your house.

I have had my Liberty for about 6 months now. We also took advantage of refinancing our mortgage at the low rates & increased home values. Since then the value of our house has gone up even more in our area so it's as if the Liberty was free :P not really but that is how I got over my buyer remorse and the fact that my DH is a golfer (he golfs several times a week and is an expensive hobby) so I figure why does he get to have all of the fun especially since I am stuck home with raising our 5 kids...us moms need a little stress relief now and again and quilting does that for me. LOL

Joann

I tell myself that I am going to quilt w/o using the SR and find that while I'm thinking it, I'm at the same moment pushing the green button on the left handle. Guess I just can't live w/o it!

Do you feel guilty when you buy a car and pay extra to have remote locks, etc, etc.? And the car depreciates! If you can afford it - go for it. And yes, you will probably be just as happy with the Liberty.

Good luck and God Bless.

:D

Archived