After I have made a few quilts where can I sell them at?

I have a question for all of you quilters. Now that I can put together a quilt and I love doing it. Where do you sell the quilts at . There are just so many family members that you can give them to. I would like to sell some of my quilts till I get a business of quilting for others together, but I'm having a hard time finding places to sell things at.

I haven't had much luck selling completed quilts either, except custom made things that people want me to make especially for them. I would appreciate advice on this also.

One thing I can say is that you won't get what it is worth on Ebay. A friend of mine tried this- bad results.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hi Idahoquilter,

Maybe an ad in the paper that you make and sell quilts. A craft store that maybe you could have it there on consignment, not a craft supply store but a store that sells completed projects. The other thing would be if there are a lot of Craft fairs to go to, that would be the best because then you can advertise the business even more.

These are just a few things that I plan on doing.

Good Luck

Char

Yesterday I did some more looking around on the websites. There is a couple of places like crafters malls. 1. www.quiltnstuff.com, 2. craftermall.com, 3. lillycraftmall.com. I also just went though the phone book to look for gift shops, the days of having things on consignment is becoming something of the past. I did find a couple of gift shops that either take things on consignment or just buy them directly. If anyone else has anymore suggestions it would be greatly appreciated by several.:D

I go to alot of craft shows like Sugarloaf Craft Festival, Country Crafts at the local fairgrounds. These are "judged" art and craft shows. There are always quilts at these shows. There must be some success since some go back every year. You might check out your local county government for upcoming events.

There is also several websites out there that specialized in arts and craft shows. Off hand I can't think of them, but they usually are searchable by state or region.

You migh check with a local guild. I belong to two guilds. They each have a quilt show for the public either annually or bi-annually. They usually offer vendor spots for a price.

Hope this helps.

I've checked several places, including a "antiques-mall" where people lease spaces (starting with a 10x10) from $180/month and up. Also 10% goes to the house, you are charged 4% for any Credit Card transactions, etc. There is a weekend Antique show in the area, and they charge $125 for 3 days. In any case there is no guarantee of the traffic.

Locally, though we have a lady who lives on a very busy throroughfare, and she has a sign in her yard Quilts For Sale and a phone number. I hear there is a 3 month wait for quilts made to order....

Cynthia

Well, you have received a wealth of information already....and sorry, most of it isn't too promising. Unless you have some "show wins" for some quilting and people know your reputation, it's pretty difficult to get any "quilt construction" jobs locally. I've had two places ask for "Made to order" wall hanging size. One is a home decorator shoppe and the other is a

wallpaper store. There was another - a very fine store that sells items made locally...but she didn't want to pay anything for the quilts and her prices sure didn't reflect that attitude when it came time to sell them. As for making quilts "to order"...I feel that is the difference between a "sew-er" and an "quilt- artist". I don't do very well MAKING MYSELF DO something..that is just almost grudge sewing. But if I can create and ponder, and fondle and construct from my own mind and heart I can just go sailing on a project. The few that I've made especially for people, I actually hated before I finished them! I have one more that I am to have done for Mother's Day...then the lady says.."Now, I'll have to save money to pay for it"...oh, really? And who is going to buy the fabric? She is going to have to give me a deposit or I won't order it. I'm not about to get stuck with a bunch of fabric I don't really care for and then she back out of the order. Maybe the deposit will prevent that from happening.

There is a shoppe near us that sells alot of "Dorm" quilts, etc. and for

dens, and couch throws, etc. they are about twin bed size...just 3 fabrics...a center of some pretty fabric and 2 borders...one narrow and the outside coordinating with the center. They sell them for around $60.00 ea.

But they do everything by machine, buy the fabric/supplies wholesale and likely still don't make very much profit, but it keeps the employees busy if there is nothing else to do. GOOD LUCK..and if you find that special place that wants quilts and will pay well...let us know....ML

Archived