Short Lived Employment

"Ziiiiiiiinnnnnnnng"- the sound of the bullet passing by real fast. They must like the chatty girls as someone said previously and you in particular. How did Jen fair? At least you get more time to get those pesky bills taken care of! Good going Ms MB:D

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was me, Mary Beth. I'm the blonde..... I wuold do anything to get some of Rod's BBQ. :D :D :P

So you dodged the bullet...this time. You have a good plan, go for it. So if the axe falls on you next time, you will be prepared. I say you should get a cardboard box and decorate it with rickrack and glitter and put it under your desk. So if they call you in to lay you off, you can tell them to kiss your rickrack and go home. ;)

Now back to LindaR's warehouse suggestion. You know, a warehouse is so much cheaper to heat in the winter when it is sunny and 70 degrees outside, like say in San Diego. I would love to go to a Quilter's Commune. Longarms, more thread than the law allows and laughter all day. Soundslike heaven to me.

Mary Beth, I'm soooo glad! I haven't said anything although I've been watching this thread and just praying for you, oh, and holding my breath! I guess that's one good thing about what I do for a living, it is job security and I'm a very popular person right now! I'm really glad it's all business to business work, also, I just could not handle doing collections when people are losing their jobs and everything they own. That just strikes too close to home. I've done the divorced, laid off, losing everything and nothing to do about it and no one to help thing, it is soooo miserable! Has Jen heard anything yet?

Oh Hooray! Gald to hear that you and Jen both made it, and that you have a plan for the future.

Now, about that warehouse space. Yes, SanDiego would be great in winter, but in summer they do get hot. I speak from experience as our shop is in a warehouse. Does that mean that we need 2 of them? The summer/winter locations?

Yay! Glad to hear you are still employed! (I am NOT the blond either!) Reading this makes me feel as if we are all standing by at the Holocost! (sic?) It's just sickening and makes me remember why I avoid any nasty situation like this! It just upsets my tummy and my blood pressure goes up and my head swims and, and, and.....

My poor nephew had to be the one to tell his department people they were laid off yesterday. Now he has to work double time to do their work too... it wasn't his decision, the higher ups made him do it. How awful to be put in such a horrible position as well as the one being told.

I just don't understand these times.....

Mary Beth, I'm so glad you are still employed. I was looking forward to meeting another Missourian at MQS this year, but now you will probably be making big bucks instead of volunteering at the show. I went through a down sizing in a big corporation a few years ago and I know how it feels each day waiting to hear who stayed and who had to leave. Not fun. I see your sense of humor is still intact. I love reading your humorous comments. Take care.:D;)

Darlene,

I will still be at MQS, Wednesday thru Friday (or Saturday), and volunteering if there is a lay off...we still are not out of the woods, we just missed it this time. Sooo, I hope we still meet. I love meeting everyone we talk to here, and especially another Missouri gal ;) Thank you for the nice comments, I love to write, so this is my outlet....I'm trying to blog, but I don't really push that. I keep telling myself I should be posting there instead of here all the time....but you guys respond...no one responds on my blog :D

About the warehouse....that round barn looks more appealing every time I drive by! Have you all ever felt how good wood heat feels? Oh to snuggle up near a wood stove in the winter and have a quilt retreat....aaahhh...I can feel it now.

I'm so glad you're still able to keep your job...and your sense of humor, it's a good coping mechanism. What a stressful few days!

I'm somewhat in the same position and have pretty much lost my sense of humor most days. Never thought I'd experience health issues related to stress, but I'm there. I'm the primary wage earner (not bragging, it just makes it harder to walk away) and it's kind of gone on for a couple of years that my job has been in jeopardy...wish I could say I am over it. Now the economy has me at their mercy again, but like you, I'm putting every penny I can to paying off debt...without taking all pleasure out of life (i.e. I still support my LQS's and other things quilty, helps keep them in biz and me sane). One thing we did recently was review our insurance...saved a decent amount. And refi'd the house...rates got low enough to be worth while. Even if I don't lose my job until it's my choice, we'll be better off for it.

Still smiling but wearing down. I'm sitting here dreaming of being at home working with fabric and dogs...but better get back to work :-).

Anita

Mary Beth so glad that you and Jen both are employed. God has a plan and getting your bills paid off and then being able to just enjoy your quilting figures in there sometwhere. maybe that barn is part of the dream too.

Anita, hope that your job situation settles down for you.

the courts in Oregon are closing on Fridays and they cutting the juvenile budget which pays my salary so come July 1 I might be unemployed too. so maybe we can start that quilters commune. we could do warm in the winter and Oregon in the summer.

What a day today was. We got an email saying they were going to cut some employees hours to 30 per week. When we first started having problems they offered 30/week and I took it, so no big deal for me....then they called me into the office today and said that even though I am at 30 hours they would need to change my hours and they hoped I would be okay with it.....Mon& Tues 8:30 - 5:30, Wed and Thurs 9:30 - 5:30 and Fridays...............OFF!!!!:D:P:cool: Do I sound like I am sad :D:P:D:P:cool: I will keep paying off my bills...cause I don't know how long this will last.

Mary Beth,

I'm a little jealous because I don't think they will come in and tell me I have every Friday off :mad::mad::mad::mad:! That would make my day...no that would make my year! I would love to only work part-time but it is a full-time job. I'm not complaining I know I'm lucky to have a good job but some days I wish I had more time to do other things. Today I've been up since 5:30, did my workout was, at work before 8. Got out of there at around 4:30, ran home got the grocery list. Back out got groceries and let Taco Bell cook dinner. It was 7 pm before I got everything put away and could get to my quilting machine. My BIL came at 7:30 so not much time on the machine. Oh well at least I get to work at home on Fridays! I think I'll get up early so that I can do some quilting before I have to start working!

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Well, I am rubbing it in. I have every other friday off and guessie what? Tomorrow is my FRIDAY OFF! Yippeee!

(I work a 9-80 flex schedule)

Oh that so didn't help! At least I don't have to fight the morning traffic! I'm so glad it is Friday! I just calculated that in addition to the almost 3 weeks of vacation I have planned for April and May I still need to take another 30 hours so I guess I'll be getting more time off. That is if I can keep up with my job cause ain't nobody else going to do it!

Mary Beth,

That is great! Nice of them to give you a long weekend every week. :)

Like Shana, my last job I did 9-80s. I loved having every other Friday off. Of course, now my commute is down the hall to my quilt studio and the only traffic is to step over the dogs and get through the baby gate. (I don't let my dogs in my studio) DH gets a little testy about what he calls my bunny slipper commute. ;)

Archived