Edgerider wheels anyone??

I have had my Lenni for about 2 weeks and am really unhappy with how it moves. I have been frame quilting four years with another brand machine so am not a newbie at this. I find it very difficult to get a smooth curve. If anyone has edgerider wheels installed on a Lenni, would you please let me know if this helps or not? I hate to spend another $160 if it is not going to improve the control/movement. Thanks!

Dara,

Does the machine still feel stiff in manual as well as regulated mode? If so, there are some more table adjustments we can make to smooth out the ride.

However, if it feels stiff only in regulated mode, then it's a matter of growing accustomed to the "feel" of the regulator.

Call Amy, Christy or me and we'll get it going smoothly for you. I'm glad it is running better, but we want you to quilt like a demon and feel like an angel floating on air:)

Thanks Chris. I will eventually put them on. Mostly due to all the positive things I have heard on this forum and others. Just gotta convince hubby that another $200 is needed on top of all that I have already spent! I am supposed to be making money with this machine, but so far just keep spending! LOL

Originally posted by Dara in IA

I am supposed to be making money with this machine, but so far just keep spending! LOL

Get use to that....that's what happens. My hubby keeps telling me that I need to spend money to make money...maybe that will work with your spouse....:cool:

• 3 months later...

I'm Beta testing a new design for Edgrider. The wheels are awesome!! I'm really impressed! Wow! Now 'm going to have to order them for my Milli. For years I've been putting off ordering them as I was told it was the silicone-type wheels that made the difference. But for this model--it's the sliding hub in the wheels that make them so cool. Thanks Edgerider!! I hardly needed to make any adjustment.

Hi Deb

Great to hear your positive news on the new Edgerider wheels for the Lenni.

What is the difference between these new ones and the original edgeriders.

I am hoping the next few weeks will go by quickly, while waiting for my Lenni to arrive.:)

DEB

Are you beta testing the edgerider wheels for the Lenni? I hope they will be out for sale soon. So you like them on the Lenni alot, correct? do you have them on the one piece table? how much difference does it make in the control of the machine/ thanks for any information you can give me about them. even a picture of what they look like would be great. thanks. Jeanne

• 2 weeks later...

are they available yet to the general public or is it still in the beta testing faze. hoping they come available soon. Really would like to give them a try on my Lenni. I have been pretty satisfied with how it moves without them, but there is still room for improvement. thanks.

The sliding hub wheel is placed on one side of the head and carriage. The hub is basically a cylinder/short metal tube (like a tiny straw) that slides into the wheel hub. The wheel and the sliding cylinder both are inserted on the wheel bracket on the left side of the machine/carriage. The right side of the carriage/machine have the non-moving hub which keeps the machine/carriage stable. By having the sliding hub, you don't have to do all the tweaking of the wheel bolts (the ones that you have to use the "clock-type" diagrams to keep them aligned. This is a very simple and ingenious design. Very cool!! I love 'em.

As far as a picture of them. THey look no different than the normal edgerider wheel because the hub is inside the wheel. When I installed my carriage and head, I did a "flip of the finger" to make the APQS wheels spin---there was a lot of resistance and the wheels did not spin freely. After I installed the Edgerider Wheels, the "finger flick" test spun the wheels around like a spinning top! Awesome.

As for how it feels on my Lenni, I think the above paragraph should explain that. I can freely move the Lenni with my pinky. Very smooth.

I must admit, however, I have been using my Millie for the past 3 years. The Lenni is a new addition to my studio. It's a one-piece table...but that doesn't matter for the wheels. I've used the Lenni quite a bit to demonstrate at shows, and did love the way the Lenni moved so easily. In fact, I thought it moved quite easily (compared to the weight of the Millie--which is normal).

It would be up to the individual person's needs if they feel the ER wheels would benefit them based on their experience and feel for the Lenni movement. I've found each quilter has different muscle control. I'm going to be using my machine for rental in my studio, so I thought having these would be great for all users--novice to the more experienced. I do love them so much, that I will get them for my Millie. She's a little heavier and tighter in movement. The wheels will be a grand addition.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted edgerider on Friday July 31 and as of then they did not have wheels for the Lenni. I have had nothing but trouble trying to get my machine to move smoothly in the center of the table. I have adjusted everything with not a noticeable improvement. I am really hoping the edgerider wheels will make the difference. Hope they get them out soon!!

Hi Lisa, I was just down in Des Moines and had a two-day seminar on the maintenance of the APQS machines with Amy. She is absolutely awesome and I would bet she'll be able to help you a great deal. Here is how to contact her:

Amy Anderson

APQS Service Dept.

800-426-7233 ext 207

aanderson@apqs.com

Let us know how things work out for you. Whereabouts in Canada do you live? I'm in Manitoba.

Archived