comparing long arm vs. short arm machines?

prinsew

I would love to own a long arm machine but feel that the investment wouldn't warrant the purchase at this time. Could I hear from others about their decision to buy the short arm machine instead? I'm presently looking at the Pfaff Inspiron which would come with the stitch regulator. Has anyone used this? Any problems? Any suggestions? Are there any other short arm machines that someone might recommend instead? Should I go with a long arm instead and if so which one? At this time I would only be quilting for myself as I have six finished quilt tops with three more nearly finished. I would appreciate all replies!

It really depends on the type of quilting you want to do. I started out with my Designer 1 on a table top frame and used it a few times and grew so frustrated that I couldn't do what I really wanted to as the throat space was so limited.

My friend has the pfaff on a grace frame and just loves it! However, she is limited to just meandering or doing a very small (about 4") pantograph. You have to remember that these machines only have about 6-7" (I believe) throat space and as more of the quilt gets rolled up on the take-up bar, you have even less quilting space.

Anything she wants done with block designs or border designs, SID, etc. she sends to me. I do quilt as a business and purchased the Millenium last May and absolutely love it.

I did want to mention the frames now that come with the Viking and Pfaff machines.... don't waste your money (my opinion and from others I know). If you are going to go with one of these machines, definately look into the grace frame or the hinterburg frame, they are made of wood and much sturdier.

There are some machines out there that give you more throat space such as the Nolting Hobby Quilter or the HQ 16. They are a little bit pricier, but they give you the ability to do more without the cost of a longarm.

Patty

If you are looking for a good machine for personal home use and want to start off with a good size quilting area the 20 inch throat plate might be the perfect option. You have 13 inch of quilting space even at the bottom of the quilt and it come on a great table that handles the wieght of the larger quilts as well. You may want to go to our home page and look at the Discovery and the Liberty. You can put these machines on a smaller 10 table or if you have the room you may choice a standard 12 or 14 foot table. Just remember that a 10 foot only works for as large as a queen but the 12 and over will fit a king size. The Liberty has all the bells and whistles, and you choice the options on the Discovery... I would suggest the single stitch button, automatic needle postioner, and built in laser, if the Discovery is the one the like. Where are you located?? You may want to try the machine and see which one feels best. If you post your location I could let you know if we are going to be at any of the shows close to you this year or you could click on find a dealer at the top of our home page and go to your closes rep to try the machine there. Which ever machine you choice be sure that wheather you are spending $5,000 or $15,000 you want to make sure that the machine you choice is right for you and will do exactly what you want it to do:D:) Good luck and I hope to hear that you are a new long or short armer in the near future. Let us know what happens.

I started out with a Juki on a Hinterberg frame, and soon discovered that I was very limited by the small throat space. I would recommend buying a longarm. Find a used one if you can't afford new. You will be much less frustrated in the end! I bought the Millennium in 2004 and love it.

Hi prinsew,

When I was thinking about a longarm, I researched several. But, for me,

it is all about the throat space. I love quilting but I can do without the

jamming and cramming to get the fabric thru the throat. It just took

all the fun and creativity out of it for me.

I lucked out and found a used Ultimate I ($2200) snapped it up. It was a

wreck and needed some TLC. Once I got it running, I decided that I

really liked quilting and found another Ultimate I ($9000) with a few of

the must have's (one-stitich to grab the bobbin thread, auto-advance to

roll the quilt and thread cutter.) I passed the good deal onto another

gal and we were both happy. I love that 26 inches of throat space. I wish

that I had the 12-foot table rather than the 14 but I'm OK with it.

A friend bought a Juki TL-98 with the Grace frame and the pattern perfecct

panto system. I think the whole package was about $2500. The juki

throat is 9" I think. She loves the machine (it does only straight stitching

like a longarm) but found the frame too big for her space. She is keeping

the machine and trying to sell the frame. Unlike longarms, the resale on

used frames is not so good.

I guess you need to look at "where" you will put your machine. A longarm

was my best choice but if it takes up too much room, you will be

frustrated with it.

Good luck and let us know what you decided. This forum is a great source

of quilting experience.

Good luck.

I purchased the Handiquilter frame that sets up on a table and used my older Viking. Then, I got the Juki with a bigger throat area. It was OK, but so limiting I still wasn't happy. At MQS a couple of years ago I planned to get some attachments that would make my shortarm set up more workable. I ended up ordering a Liberty. So, I spent several years and more money than I care to think about trying to make something work. I did eventually sell my Handiquilter frame and the Juki...at a loss of course. :( I love my Liberty!

Cheryl in Iowa

Dear Prinsew

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter with the Inspira metal frame and I love it. I used a friend's Brother 1500/Gracie frame and hated it. The glide on my frame is so much easier. I can control it with two fingers. On the Gracie frame the plastic wheels were always coming apart and it was a pain. I also had a big problem with broken thread. Since I purchased my own machine/frame I am finding the joy of machine quilting.

I would suggest you find others who live around you to help you through the first few weeks as you and your machine are learning each others quirks - - it's very frustrating - - if you are new to machine quilting...but after that, it is wonderful

I couldn't justify spending $5,000+ on a quilting machine for my personal use. I spent about $2,100. One of these days, when I have more money and more time I plan to invest in the long arm - - but for today I am happy to own my own machine so I can quilt when I like. Yes, there are limitations, but the joy of quilting anytime I want is worth it. It may be a starting point, but I am finding joy - - - beginner with my "toy". Quiltingnut

I really appreciate all the replies I've received. I know I'd rather have a long arm than something smaller, but it's so much more than I feel I can spend at this time. Any suggestions where I might find a good deal on a used setup? I'm in Washington state if that makes a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm attending the Sewing Expo in Puyallup this weekend and hope to try out any machines that may be there. Thanks!

Hi prinsew, I just registered so that I could respond to your longarm research. We have spend much of the last month investigating all options. Several years ago (at the Evergreen Fair!) I tried a longarm and felt like Rosie the Riveter but I loved the concept, so when I recently tried the HQ I was so impressed with its smoothness and ease. However, I urge you to go to the Yahoo users board and look at the comments. It also gets quite pricey when combined with the adjustable table and frame. Then, given that I have a Juki with a 9" throat just for machine quilting, I began to look then at other rail systems--and soon got overwhelmed. And I tried the Pfaff Insperion which at the price is incredibly tempting (especially as an HQ alternative). But it still is a tiny machine. And I didn't want to invest just to 'try it out'--that seemed like a waste of money and I knew ultimately I would be horribly frustrated. So I wrote to Carla (APQS sales) because I liked her responsiveness on the boards and I wrote to Gammill because they have a closer dealer. Carla emailed with a very personal discussion; Gammill sent a slick brochure (and it is impressive) but no answers to my emails.

End result: I bought a used Liberty this weekend and, other than the onslaught of nightmares, am INCREDIBLY excited!!! It is so much more than I could have hoped for; I did go with a 10' table because I didn't want it to be a life statment. Quilting is a hobby for me also; this is a toy (gasp!); and I have no plans to stitch for others; and (double gasp), I've never actually used a longarm. That's it! Have a good time doing the Puyallup!

I started out with an OLD short arm machine. I've posted the whole story before but DH wasn't about to spend the $$ to get a real longarm. Here's what we got for $500.

Old%20machine.jpg

I've written a detail account of the whole "how I got from there to here" trip on my blog - http://sunshinequilts.blogspot.com so I'm not going to repeat it all here.

Having a Millennium is the best! If having a Millennium doesn't fit your needs and your budget, then I'd bet there's something out there for you. Just try it and make sure you can work with it and never lose sight of your goals if they're to eventually work towards a Millennium.

Judy - it really is a small world! I have been reading your blog - through a link on Debra Spincic's blog - but didn't realize you were the same Judy that posted on this forum. Your quilting is absolutely beautiful - I have spent a lot of time admiring it - lol.

Thanks for sharing the story of your first 'long arm' and I'm so glad you now have the machine of your dreams.

Irene

I'll be wearing my APQS shirt and carrying my APQS totebag!! Hope you can find me!!

Stop by and see Sherry. She is an expert and has experience with many types of machines. She is the perfect person for you to visit with because of her knowledge.

Say "Hi!" to Alex for me. She'll be there too!

Cheryl

To echo everyone go and try, I hated my grace and juki I bought everything to make it work better, it was just not for me, but I know many quilters who love it and do amazing work. I bought my longarm used and in the end it cost just the same as the grace/juki so don't settle! get all the information and make a choice thats right for you!

I'm in the Seattle area and I'm attending the sewing expo in Puyallup right now. What fun this is!!! I looked at the HQ sixteen with the HQ tabletop frame yesterday and for under $7000 I can get the complete package including the stitch regulator. I'm leaning towards this one mostly because of cost and the 16" sewing area. What would your opinion be? I have also been looking for used longarms but have not been very successful. If anyone knows of used for sale please let me know. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate the help!

Greetings - -

If anyone is interested I have a Viking Mega Quilter w/Inspira Frame and stitch regulator for sale on ebay at the present time. I bought this set up to see how much I would enjoy machine quilting without spending a fortune. This set up is in excellent condition!! I love being able to finish my quilts without sending them out. I have found this machine is very addictive!!!:D I am selling this machine because I have had so many requests for me to machine quilt for others that I am going to buy a bigger machine.

This frame is very sturdy - -no complants here. The laser pointer and stitch regualtor are fun! This machine and stitch regulator still have warranties. I have even used the Viking machine to sew quilts on just because it sews so fast. If you are interest feel free to e-mail me or check it out on ebay.

I almost bought one of the home machine quilting frames. I already have the JUki tl98 but when I talked to others who had the New Joy or the Grace they were all just waiting till the time they could upgrade to a long arm. I knew I wouldn't be haappy with the samll amount of throad space. I purchased a used Ultimate 2 locally for 4300 with the table included. I don't have all the latest things like a thread cutter or a stitch regulator but I have a big machine that I can learn on and then later on I can upgrade and I probably won't lose any money to speak of. Think of it that way. It does take up quite a bit of space in my living room but it's great. :)

Archived