Clacking noise in the hook area

ceridwen

My Millie 2008 is making a funny clacking noise that seems to originate in the rotaring hook area. I took the top plate off to see if there were threads etc... nothing. I took the needle out, same noise.

I did a search and someone had a similar problem but no helpful advise was given.

thank you!

I just DW40 the crap out of it and it seems to be working fine. It must have been some thread dust that hadn't dislodged from the last time I cleaned it.

Gosh, I'm looking forward to attending the Saturday maintenance class at MQX this year!

Sally,

I have not had to re-pack yet but I understand from others that you might have to do it every year or so. I think an air pocket gets in there and you just have to fill it up. I keep putting it off but I think it is time. My machine is getting more noisy than usual. Joann (Jhend) told me it sounds like it needs to be done and she has done hers twice.

My Millie is less than a year old, I'd hate to think that it has to be packed! That machine barely has any milleage on it! lol

The clacking noice could still be heard. Every so often I stopped machine quilting and oiled the hook area. I don't know if I've been oiling it wrong or what, but I sure did it a lot tonight to deal with the noise.

I'm now finished and oiled it again as it was making the noise. It's fine now!

This has been the worse quilt to machine quilt. The top thread kept breaking (pop) creating a gap and continuing to stitch as if nothing happened (long top threads on the back of the quilt). The bobbing thread was fine. The time it took me to machine quilt this lap size you'd think I was doing a king size.

Carole,

Make sure your quilt sandwich is not to tight. I have had that problem before too and thought there was something drastic wrong with my machine, even paid a tech to come out an look at it. When it kept doing it I tried everything I could think of short of pushing it off a cliff, then I loosened my quilt in the rollers and that was the problem. It doesn't take much, but give it a try and see if that helps.

I believe I was told that repacking the grease is ONLY if an airpocket happens. You DONT have to do it every year! ONLY if you start hearing that noise, will you "check" it to see if an air pocket has formed.

John Mitchell....step in here if you can, did I explain correctly as you've told me in the past?????

Thanks for the tip on the too tight top - TTT! Gotta make a metal not - check TTT! lol

I was so pre-occupied with the noise that it didn't dawn on me that it might be a problem.

This morning, my millie seems to be running fine!

I haven't had an opportunity to play a lot with Penelope, so it's all so new to me.

This year I decided to take classes at MQX with teachers who use APQS. So I booked with Dawn and Sue. I figure I'll learn tips at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your imput!

Wise choice. I have not had a class with Sue...yet...but I'm sure I will one of these days.....I am a follower of Dawn Cavanaugh, and wish I had as much talent and knowledge in my whole body that she has in her little finger :D I think I have taken all of Dawn's classes, and have been a Teacher's Angle when I can. You will learn so much from both of the talented ladies.

Hi Carole

The noise could just be the hook assembly touching the hook retaining finger which is normal. Check the section in your manual on timing to see the parts I'm talking about.

Grease - only needs to be topped up if you have a very annoying grating grinding noise around the hook assembly area. The noise is caused by an air pocket in the gearbox. The air pocket is created when the cavity is originally filled. There is no way the guys know an air pocket is in there until it shifts with use and moves around the gears. This can take days or months to appear. Once its topped up it shouldn't need to be done again, if you get ALL the airpockets out.

sue in australia.

Sheri;

True, you only need to get air pockets out and refill with grease when the gears become very nosy. The gears are extremely hard and will not be damaged but the noise can drive you crazy. On some machines this may be many years. I have repacked many machines. It also depends on the skill of the person who packed the gearbox at the factory. They (Mike and Mark) have developed a method of filling the gearbox that should be foolproof if procedures are followed correctly.

John

Mine needed repacked in having her less than a year. I called apqs and they listened to it over the phone and could tell me what was wrong.......they're good!!:) After my DH repacked her, she's nice and quiet again! It was a rattling sound that seemed to be coming from the bobbin area.....who knew!!??!!:D linda

John,

While we are talking about maintenance issues (the packing of grease and such), what would you say are the more common wear issues for machines that have been used for a few years? Mine is about 2 and I wonder what to look out for in the future. So far, it is purring like a kitten!

I did get black dust from the back of the machine, on the cross bar under the belt area. Amy at the factory assured me it was fine since it was sewing perfectly.

Thanks for your insights...

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Thanks, John.

I can pick them up at MQX later this month. Sue Schmeiden carries parts in her booth. Looking five or more years out, what are the biggies? The hook, the belt, the motor, the advance feed system? What would you look at if buying a used machine? Are there any items we should have on hand, sooner than later?

I want to take the Maintenance class, but it is on days (very early or very late in the week) I can not attend. One year it will work out, I just hope it is not too late for my machine!! Thanks again.

Lisa

Lisa, your machine is new enough to have the ball bearing hopping-foot rocker in the head and the new style needle shaft, both of which are regularly installed on older machines in for maintenance. Belts don't give a whole lot of trouble, but you might think about having a spare set of motor brushes on hand, and as John said, the pigtails are very susceptible to wear with miles of thread running through them.

Brad

I have been repairing machines for about 9 years now and have never replaced a belt on a Millennium. When I last talked to Mark about the belt issue they had never replaced a belt on a Millennium. I did replace one on a ULT I that had jammed and the belt was smoked. The brushes last a long time and usually give an indication they are going bad.

A “L” hook assembly for the APQS (this is a factory modified Teflon coated hook) is $65. If you have a machine with the “M” hook it is in the neighborhood of $150.

We carry most all parts for the APQS and Nolting machines in stock and only charge actual shipping charges with no handling or packaging charges.

We are currently running a special on steel bobbins $20 for 50 or $30 for 100. (I have a limited supply in stock). I also am selling bobbin cases at $24 for 3 or $30 for 5 (I have plenty of these in stock).

We also are an authorized Hartley dealer and carry most Hartley products in stock for quick shipping. We also stock the stand alone bobbin winders.

We also take MC/Visa.

John

Archived