fixing border fullness

lyonden

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all of you who commented on the quilting. I was also amazed that it worked as well as it did. She is having to curve the corners around the vines to get rid of the extra fabric that I couldn't hide. But, it looks even better now.

• 3 months later...

Hi Carol,

I read with interest your comments on the wavy border as I have just done a wavy border myself. Nothing compared to yours. It is just beautiful.

Mine was done with CompuQuilter. I am rather new to quilting. But I was interested in what you said about shrinking the border. How do you do this?

Thanks for your input.

Carol Osburn

Millie with CompuQuilter

Amarillo, TX

Carol,

To check for wavy borders quickly, fold the quilt out on the floor. Bring one long end into the center of the quilt, along a center seam or the imaginary center of the quilt. Align the one corner of the border with the quilt's center edge. If you're alone, it helps to put a pin into the border and corner there to keep the edges aligned.

Now move to the opposite end of the quilt. Make sure the center of the quilt is smooth (tug it gently toward you) and then check the border to see if aligns with the center's border or hangs past the center. Any "overhang" tells you how much longer the side border is compared to the quilt's center. You can repeat this for all four borders.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense, and I'll attach photos:)

Archived