correcting crooked feathers

I watched Kimmy Brunners twirly whirly feathers video and I have a question. This may be a very rudementary question but I am pretty new to machine quilting. In one of the segments she made a comment that one of the feathers was awful and in a "real" quilt she would rip it out. My question is do you remove the whole frond of feathers or are you able to just remove the crooked feather, and do you have take it off the frame to do this?

Thanks

And my husband recently taught me a quicker way to frog then the way I was doing it - I was breaking the stitches about every 3 or 4 and then pulling threads. He just pulls the top thread straight up, which then pulls bobbin threads up, and the just rips through the bobbin threads. Goes much quicker and not quite as much of a fear of ripping the fabric of the quilt.

I just finished watching that video and I thought her bad feather wasn't really that bad. In the big scheme of things nobody would even notice it. I like Myrna Ficken's philisophy - If it can't be seen from a moving train, just leave it there. (I may have paraphrased a bit.:P)

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by stitchinsally He just pulls the top thread straight up, which then pulls bobbin threads up, and the just rips through the bobbin threads. Goes much quicker and not quite as much of a fear of ripping the fabric of the quilt.

Yes, this method works great but assumes that you have easy access to the bobbin thread to cut it. It becomes a real challenge when the stitches are so tiny that you can't cut the bobbin thread.

road kill feathers aren't all that bad. I generally leave them in unless it's a center block and real noticeable. I had one that looked like a body part (don't ask which body part) and I made sure I pointed it out to my friend and we laughed. She wasn't so sure she wanted to touch it though....

I only remove the offending feather - if I do - and then restart from there.

I can't wait to get Kimmy's DVD. it's on the wish list.

Archived