1930's Grandma's Flower Garden

I am sure somebody was doing a GFG block for their 1930's swap but I can't find the picture.

I have started piecing one for myself to put in my quilt but was curious of the setting that the participant used.

I am only using 1" hexagons so am sure I will need to do 2 or 3 rings, but how did you finish the edges or were they appliqued on.

I also need to do one of Bobbi's Electric Fans, I want to include some of those unique blocks in my quilt that I didn't get to receive.

Any other uniques ones I have missed out on?

Thanks

Lyn

Lyn, I did the gm flower garden blocks for the 30's exchange. I do mine with english paper piecing. It is easy, goes very fast, and comes out very precise. I only did one round on mine, because I used bigger hexagons. If using the small ones, I would do two rounds. I appliqued them on to the blocks, but you can continue around the colored part with white, or a solid color until it is the size you want, then square it up. Or, run them all together if the entire quilt is gm flower garden.

After I appliqued the 'flower' to the plain back, I trimmed off the backing behind the flower, cut my basting threads to remove the paper pieces, and voila: done.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I do LOTS of english paper piecing. I am doing a Dresden Plate right now. I always have an EPP project going. Great take along and TV time project. Can't stand idle hands. :D

Peggy

Boni,

thanks for the page reference and

Peggy,

Thanks for your instructions. I had never done any EPP until the start of last month and now I have already completed 4 1" rosettes and have the papers and fabric cut to start a Baby tumbling blocks.

I have also been asked to quilt the "Worlds Largest Hexagon Quilt" in February next year. The LQS is organising it and hopes to have a quilt 15metres long in time for A Reproduction Quilt Symposium in May.

I may get some more 6" squares of 1930's fabrics and make a few more rows on my GFG.

Again thanks

Lyn

Hi Lyn

EPP is great as you can take it anywhere, I have started a GFG to take to my weekly patchwork meetings and it is amazing how quickly it is going together. I have already started on the third row across. Mine consists of small and larger flowers that seem to float across the top and then a border of small flowers will frame it.

Have fun quilting the monster better you than me...

Cheers

Karen

Archived