the doodle has left the bug...

here's a quilt top that i will be starting today. it's a raffle for a local guild. as you can see, it is VERY friendly! so i'm using two layers of batt- low loft poly on top of a cotton.

this quilt apparently doesn't like me, and isn't talking. :P i'm just not inspired by anything. what designs do you see.

post--13461901737047_thumb.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The star bursts white area would look really great punched down w/ tight filler of your choice so the rays pop. THe wonky flying geese could have wonky triangles in them to echo not exactly that triangle, but the folksyness of the wonky. Make sense yet? The blue and turquoise are silent right now but could be whispering later. I'll try listening.

Good luck. They are the lucky ones to have you doing the quilting. You do excellent work.

WOW Shannon I feel your pain. Why not treat each of the large 8 points of the star as one block. Do something cool in that whole area. Like feathers..swirlies..or something radiating out of the center. (looks like a really big quilt...but you could make it work.) I would definitely do your doodle-bug-a-thingie in the cream areas to nail it down. I like the swirly thing you did on your MIL's quilt yesterday. Maybe that would look good over the flying geese...or wonky geese stitched over them like Abigail suggested.

I can't imagine why they would make something so bold or bright for a raffle quilt. Don't you usually try to make something that would appeal to the largest amount of people. I 'm afraid your quilting will be what sells tickets on this one, not the piecing. Good luck with design choice. I've seen your work and I know you will really make this quilt SHINE!

april- i think you hit the nail on the head....i'm putting undue pressure on myself to make the quilting stand out. i've got it loaded. i'm going to thread up Nemo and just hit the on button and see what happens. i WILL force myself to have fun, it'll show in the finished quilt. i'll post pictures when i'm done.

but i'll still appreciate ideas....right now i'm pebbling the black and feathering the blues.

SIDing some parts....*argh*

i need those quilting gnomes right about now....

Man!!!!

Shannon, I'm glad that this is your Elephant....I'm with you WTH do I do with this. I see lots of SID and background fills, but beyond that WOWWWWWSER.

When you decide let us all know what you did....you never know when one like this will come into your life...and it would be nice to see what someone else did with it. GOOD LUCK!

What's your trick to keeping it square with all those radiating lines?

I've done a couple with double batting and didn't have a problem. Dream Puff sort of sticks to cotton, no shifting. and I never raise my hopping foot. I would stabilize an area, then work inside that area.

Can't wait for the eye candy....Go for it Shannon! You CAN do it.:D

I have a beast on my machine right now with Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom and then a big hunk of QD puff in the 37 inch friendly medallion. Whole batts together are easier to quilt than this trapunto faker I'm doing. I never raise my foot. I have to go v-e-r-y slow around some of the intersections. I hope this thig laid flat after you pressed it.

In any case, pin baste from one side to the other so it doesn't shift on you. Pin rows 6 -8 inches apart. And work in one area before unpinning and moving on.

You will do fine on this. You may want to make a detailed road map to set in your mind (and on paper) what design elements go in what areas. I can see you using pebbles, ribbon candy, feathers and lots of ruler work. Oh, and probably several thread changes.

well.....i started it, and now i'm froggin....it looks unacceptable...plus i have 3 big tucks in the backing fabric. once i get all the stitches out, i'm taking out the poly batt...

this one is going into the history books as the quilt from hell.

Shannon, I cannot imagine you not having just gobs of ideas and lots of beautiful eye candy coming for us to drool over. YOu are such a talented lady. I can hardly wait to see it finished. Sorry you are not having fun.

thanks for all the encouragment!

i have all the stitches out, and will start the quilting again on monday- i have tons of ideas now- turns out, the quilt speaks spanish, and i had to translate! :)

anyway- thanks, knowing your guys were with me in spirit made it easier....

(p.s. ya'll are WAY too generous with the compliments)

Archived