3 Battings--my experiment

I know there are a lot of batting comparisons out there. I had a customer bring me Fairfield batting and I had never used it before.

I took about a 2-3 inch square of these three battings and without much effort tugged at them to see just how much stress they would take.

Fairfield 80/20 says on the package to quilt 2-4 inches open.

Warm and Natural says 10 inches

Quilter's Dream Request (thinnest) says 8 inches

The Fairfield almost disintegrated, if I pulled harder it would be in shreds.

The Quilter's Dream pulled a little less, but still, it was very delicate.

The Warm and Natural didn't budge--solid as a rock.

Just thought I'd post a picture. I know which one I'll never use. And I do like Quilter's Dream, just quilt a little closer. The Warm and Natural is my favorite all around.

2607558170100404369S600x600Q85.jpg

I think you did a good test. I will add that the Fairfield is horribly linty and it fills your nose as you work. Don't be tempted to use your Joanne's coupon to buy this batting. I actually put up a little sign on my bulletin board with a piece of the bag that says never buy this batting. I didn't want to forget and do it again no matter if it's on sale 40% off. If I ever start quilting for others I wills urely tell others to avoid this batting. I'm shocked that the manufacturer doesn't improve it.

I use Airtex 80/20 and like it. Their shipping is very reasonable!! I used some packaged Hobbs all cotton and what a mess. When I shook it a little to loosen the wrinkles it fell apart. I told her not to buy it again. She paid $21 for a queen bag. Yikes!!!

The quilt I have on the table right now has the Fairfield. It is very delicate and because the quilt top is batik on batik the tension isn't all that great. Getting little pokies also. I will be avoiding this batting in the future.

Originally posted by Boni

Fairfield 80/20 says on the package to quilt 2-4 inches open.

Warm and Natural says 10 inches

Quilter's Dream Request (thinnest) says 8 inches

The Fairfield almost disintegrated, if I pulled harder it would be in shreds.

The Quilter's Dream pulled a little less, but still, it was very delicate.

The Warm and Natural didn't budge--solid as a rock.

Your results are exactly why of these three I use Warm and Natural.

I did get a crib sized batt from Fairfield of the 60/40 and will be putting it onto the frame this week I hope...I just finished the baby quilt top and now need to quilt. Will let you know as well as Fairfield what I decided....likes or dislikes. I feels like a very sturdy batting and its about the same as the cotton battings we use to be able to get at Walmart...their Create-a-Craft "Cotton" batts that they no longer carry... I really liked that batting even if it did come from WalMart...it quilted up very nice and it was snuggly warm and laid very nice on the bed.

Quilters Dream Request is a bit too thin for long arm quilting, in my opinion. I know there are those that really like it and use it but I don't think it has enough loft for us to get a good stitch.

The Select loft is much better. It doesn't matter if it's cotton or the blend.

I don't like Warm n Natural as much as QD because with QD I have never had a bearding problem and with Warm n Natural, it's almost guaranteed.

Again, just my opinion. ;)

Bonnie - good test!

Good experiment Bonnie.

I have not used the Fairfield. And based on your test, I do not think that I will. ;)

I have QD cotton on the roll, 90" and king. But I stock the QD Select and Deluxe grades which hold up better than the QD Request. I did just order QD Request roll for those times when I need a really thin layer as the second layer. And there is no right or wrong side for QD. I like that.

I also stock Warm and Natural, it is the standard despite the fact that it is 87% cotton and 13% poly, many of my customers love it.

I also have a roll of Soft and Natural from Warm. This is Warm's all-cotton offering. I have not tried it yet. It is very soft and does not have the debris that you see in W & N. I have also noticed that W & N is much cleaner looking than it was a few years ago. I remember Dawn C answering the question "Which side goes up on W & N?" with "...the dirty side". Even though it is much cleaner, I can still tell which side is which.

Originally posted by dtreusch

Have you tried the Fairfield 60/40? It is a really nice batting, doesn't disentigrate and quilts very nicely. it is also very drapable and doesn't wrinkle very easily. I think it compares closer to Warm and Natural than their 80/20.

I Agree!!! :) I really LIKE the Fairfield 60/40!

The Fairfield 60/40 is for MACHINE quilting. The Fairfield 80/20 is for HAND quilting. Big difference in both batts.

Shana

As I was using that batting, I was just picturing the kids tugging and pulling on that quilt over the years and seeing that batting inside shredding to pieces. Then when mom puts it in the washing machine and dryer, it'll come out with ping pong ball wads in each open area of the quilting. Bless her heart; she'll think she ruined it.

I'm glad to know Fairfield does make a better batting. I will pass that info on to my customer. From now on though, I'm going to recommend what I carry--QD Select, blend, Warm and Natural, and if they insist, I will show them the test I did. If they further insist, I will have them sign a disclosure releasing me from lumpy quilts.:P

Veeerrryyyy interestingk.:cool:

Quilters Dream Request (thinnest loft) has notes on the outside of the label stating "excellent for hand and machine quilting". BUT-- the inside of the label states "not recommended for longarm quilting--requires special handling" or something. It isn't exactly misleading, but it irritates me that the info is buried. I love the QD Select.

You are right. If you could blow up this label back, at the bottom it reads:

For LongArm Quilting we recommend the Select, Deluxe, and Supreme lofts. The Request loft is very soft and lightweight and is exceptional for hand quilting and excellent for shortarm quilting. The Request loft provides beautiful results on the LongArm but requires gentle handling while layering and "floating the top" is recommended.

I've used it as a single layer in table runners and a second layer over another for thickness in wall hangings. I will be sure to quilt more dense if I use it again.

2340769080100404369S600x600Q85.jpg

Is anyone using the Hobbs wool batting? If so, how do you like it as I am thinking I may order it to have on hand for my customers. They say it is cool in summer and warm in winter? Does it beard and are there tension issues with the loft of the batting?

This is an excellent thread - very informative - thank you to all who continue to educate us and share their experiences. I for one use QD almost exclusively and have had no problems. With this information, I will have some ideas as to what other battings to try. I have found that I do not care for Hobbs 80/20. It quilts nicely and you do get a very nice finished product, but for me it is very linty.

JeriGirl, I just finished a quilt with QD Wool. It is so light and airy! The backing was batik and the top was a combination of fabrics, mostly hand dye and some batik. I quilted it a bit dense so it is a bit flat, not as much definition as I expected with a thick cotton. The information on the label states:

Dream Wool is wonderfully light with slight loft and lovely soft drape. You may confidently stitch up to 8" apart or as closely as you would like. Finished quilts may be dry-cleaned or gently machine washed and dried. Dream Wool stays soft and supple. Dream Wool is excellent for both Machine and Hand quilting.

I don't know about the Hobbs Wool.

I'm using the Hobbs Tuscany wool in my current project. I bought the batting on a roll so there are no wrinkles and the batting is delicious! It has more loft than the 100% cotton battings I've been working with and it feels quite stable. Can't speak to it's performance when washed as this is my first experience with it. Nancy in Tucson

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the use of wool batting? I've heard conflicting thoughts...use only cotton thread; don't/do use polyester thread!!! Don't quilt too closely together...as that disturbs the warming quality of wool for the user! Any thoughts I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance! kathleen

Originally posted by bkfood

Does anyone have an opinion regarding the use of wool batting? I've heard conflicting thoughts...use only cotton thread; don't/do use polyester thread!!! Don't quilt too closely together...as that disturbs the warming quality of wool for the user! Any thoughts I would appreciate it! Thanks in advance! kathleen

Well...I use what ever thread I have that matches what I am quilting...it can be high end Superior Threads, of both cotton or poly or the low end Coats and Clarks regular threads...in both cotton or poly. I have even used Perma Core threads...and each of these were done on a Wool Batt so some brand. I have used QD, Hobbs and hand carded.... To be told to use only Cotton Threads...that's a personal opinion of the person who told you that, and not a written in stone quilter rule....use what you have and what you like.

Quilting was as close together or as far apart as the designs demanded...didn't even think about warming quality as you put it....all the quilts came out very soft and snuggly.... so again I will go out on a limb and say that this too is a personal opinion of someone else's...and you need to experiment with what you like an don't like...and go for that.

Good test. I agree with the results. My customer LOVES that Fairfield batting. If I could convince her to use W&N then her quilts would hang and lay much nicer. That Fairfield stuff is lumpy, permanently creased, and stretched as frays so bad as you try to guide it into place.

I am down to the end of my roll of W&N. I can't order another roll as we don't have a business license tax number any longer. Does anybody know where I can buy W&N by the pack or roll without a business account?

Do you have a JoAnn's close to you...you can get rolls there..and if you have a 50% coupon..you can use it for a roll of batting. My last roll was about $96.00... My store actually has both the bleached or unbleach battings.

Archived