Black Light pencil??

jeri

I'm trying out using black light pencils and powder. I'm not happy with the way the pencil I have sharpens as the wood just splinters and it's impossible to get a nice point.

What is a good brand and where do you purchase them? Thanks Jeri

Jeri,

Our class had the same problem with the 'chalk' pencils used in marking for applique. An old hand at it told us to get METAL pencil sharpeners, find them at Staples. I also saw the all metal on a quilting website the other day, sigh, oldtimers now, but if I find it again will post the site. Seems that on the plastic ones, the blade loosens a tiny bit and plays havoc with the pencils. I also had pretty good luck with the ones from the makeup section for eyeliners.

Mary in CA

There is a pencil sharpener made for these pencils, it is made by Clover and looks like a large thimble. It works wonderful with all the applique pencils, it will give you the point you need without eating up your pencil. Look at your local quilt shop, if you can't find them email me and I'll send you one. I sell out of these very quickly.

Sheila

(thequilthut@yahoo.com)

Hi Sheila, I think my favorite LQS has those. I'll check Friday or Sat. as soon as I get this quilt done, it gets delivered out that way. I thought I would be able to look Tues, but time was running way too short, very busy week. Thanks for the info. Jeri

Guest Linda S

Sheila -

Thanks for the tip on that Clover pencil sharpener! I thought it must be some cruel trick of the universe that all these wonderful pencils were available but couldn't be sharpened without breaking. I will look for one locally and see if I can find one. It would be so nice to have good points on those pencils instead of ending up with little nubs with breaking leads!

Linda

I did get an all metal sharpener meant for chalk pencils etc. I didn't find the thimble one and haven't had lots of running around time lately. I haven't actually used the pencil since but it did sharpen it to a nice point and didn't shred the wood!! I will be using it for writing the Pledge of Allegance (can't spell today) around the border of a bargello flag quilt later this week. Since it's a wall hanging that will be in a military recruitment office the owner is debating about washing it before use. I'm trying to keep away from any chance of visible markings.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll try to post a photo when this one is done. Jeri

Archived