Off set panto... How to

I have a panto ...Pumpkins and Loops by Mary Eddy ..Jelly Bean Quilter catalog....I purchased from Quilts Complete. It is an off set panto....it has the design and then dots for postioning the next row. I have not been able to figure this out. I know it is just waiting to jump out at me but I just can seem to figure tis one out.

I treid to post a picture of this panto... was unsuccessful.

To do a search on quilts complete...type in JBQ-PL

Thanks fo any help,

Starla

Hi Starla,

I'm going to try to tell you how to do this...Place your pattern with the dot at the back side of the table. When you finish stitching your row, place the laser light dot on the dot on the pattern. Advance your quilt. When you get the last stitching line under the needle on the hopping foot, you should be in line with the dot. Then when you get ready to stitch your next row it will be lined up with the last row of stitching. I like to do a dry run, and hit the high points of the pattern to make sure it is going to clear my last row of stitching. Does that make sense? That way you are sure not to over lap your row, but they will interlock.

But I totally got your instructions...and wouldn't have had to look for the scientific method.;);)

Now I just wish I had a smaller gear to hook my locks on...without a fabric advance which the OLDER machines don't have and me with a gear that has about 8 teeth that my lock sets in...getting it perfect is not only a challenge, but near impossible with some of the more interlocking ones.... so we do just the best we can and leave it at that.

I don't have a longarm (YET!) but I have been researching everything I can find on the subject. I'm trying to get ahead of the game and reduce that learning curve before I order up an APQS dream machine :)

Having said that, there is an excellent free video on the Gammill website that shows 2 different ways to line up a panto. Go to gammill.com and click on the following links... Quilting Machines - Videos - Gammill Videos - Pantograph Quilting. It really is very good. I've watched it twice and don't even have a LA!

Sorry for not posting an actual link, but I'm so new at this I haven't figured out how to do that yet! Hope this helps!

Thank you mary Beth ..I think I might have understood your explanation.....

I have looked a longarm u...that seemed complicated....thought that there had to be an easier way.

Thanks everyone,

you have made my day

Starla

I use my channel locks and just lock the machine so it doesn't move when I am rolling. I have heard of people tearing the quilt when the needle is down and they advance the quilt...but...shhhh...I do it all the time and it hasn't happened to me yet....knock on wood!! I kind of wish I hadn't put that down in writing, cause now it is bound to happen :)

I think leaving the needle in is just asking for a train wreck....at least at my house...I don't have the auto advance and to hand twist my poles (that's how old my machine is) its to jerky and you will rip the sandwich EVERY time.

Originally posted by Sharon M

the lady in the Gammill video leaves her needle down when she advances the quilt... one of the two ways she demonstrates lining up a panto.... so you can't take ALL the blame Mary Beth! .....just sayin'.... ;)

Oh, I'm not trying to take credit...I'm just saying that if I say it too loud...I will be the next one to tear my quilt....that's all. Heck no...I would never take credit for anything in quilting. :D

Archived