what to do first?

I'm new to custom quilting, and I have a couple of questions, if you could help I would appreciate it!!

When you do a quilt and you are going to do one design in the "body" of the quilt, then stitch in the ditch of three or four borders, how do you manage that? I'm thinking if I do the SID as I go, all the starts and stops are going to show??

and with a double wedding ring, how do I "square off" the top edge and baste it? it's all scallops? also, I have to sid all the melons, do as I go or sid the whole thing then go back and put in my designs in the large areas???

I'm confused and may have bit off more than I can chew!!

You have to decide if you want to turn the quilt and do the side borders or quilt as you go. If you are going to turn the corner then I would stitch part of the side, across the top and down part and stop. This will stabelize things. As you stitch going down be sure to pin really good otherwise you will have a real mess. I would start with the inside border and work out. Then quilt the middle and then the bottom border the same way. Then turn and do the sides. this way you only have 2 start and stops.

As for loading a double wedding ring. What I did with a quilt like this was to fold the first melon in half to make a straight edge. Pin that to the upper roller and roll. I float the top so I would again fold it in half back on itself and lay it out. Of course you can't run a straight row to lay it on but you can use a level from you hubby's toolbox and use that to lay it out. Once you have it straight you can unfold the part you have folded down. I hope that makes sense.

When I SID a border I turn it. I like to have the stitch line unbroken. However, if the back is a very busy print and I am using matching thread I will start and stop. That's the quickest way.

Hopefully you have a busy back that will hide your starts and stops - as when you are new to custom this is one area that usually needs a little bit of work....at least it did for me.

Good Luck, just take it slow - and remember, only your nose is 5 inches from the quilting. When you take it off your frame you will be surprised at how great it looks. Don't beat yourself up on this.

Have FUN.

Archived