ok i have a weird question

i've been LAing now for 5 years, and i think i'm getting close to 'burnout'. is this normal, like the 7 yr itch, or i'm i just 'bored'.

chocolate isn't working, and i've tried to boost my creativity by looking through all the LA books i have, re-watching some of my DVDs, and even putting on a practice piece to 'play, but i'm just not in the mood to long arm and just the thought of LAing is not drawing the ususal excitment it use to.

i'm i just going thru something similar to writer's block? will it pass....

Shannon,

I think everyone goes through burnout with their jobs. Dealing with people and their quirks sometimes just makes one want to bury their heads in the sand. I don't long arm quilt for others as a job, I do it for a hobby, but do have a day job that can be trying. People are more demanding of others than they are of themselves. And I truely believe artists are always trying to one up ourselves. We think we have to out do the last quilt or whatever. Maybe you just need to take a few days off and enjoy the great outdoors, if that is what you like. Sometimes just stepping away and doing something completely different refreshes our creativity. I get a lot of ideas from taking walks and just listening to the voices in my head.

Take time for yourself. Don't forget to enjoy life. Judy

Shannon, do something else for awhile that you love. Piece, if that's what you like to do, or do something totally non-quilty for awhile. I think everyone needs a break every once in awhile. Take the time to read some good books, go for hikes, biking, just anything to give yourself a break.

You'll either find that the passion for quilting comes back or it doesn't. If it does, you're good to go. If not, sell your LA and use the money to hop on a plane, come out here and teach me. We'll go out for pony rides in between lessons so you don't get bored!!:D

Judy you're brave...admitting to voices in your head:P:P;):):D

I can say yes from experience....about 5 years it became a chore, by years 7 it was okay one more gotta eat, go to work fall into bed....by years 9 and 10 I was so on auto that I didn't realize I was not only meeting myself in the alley, but had run over myself.

My suggestion to you if you can is to take the summer off....cut back to where you are almost not quilting at all....now if you are like I was and this is your only means of income you are looking at your screen right now shaking your head and calling me "NUTS" okay, if that is the case cut back to where you can have at LEAST 3 hours a day everyother day for you....and if you want to combine them into a WHOLE day just to goof off or sit and watch the paint peel OR better yet go grab a toy other than a sewing item and go outside and have a fun day just for Shannon... And if that can't work out at least take Saturday afternoon off and ALL day Sunday..... Even places of business have at least one day of closed doors.

Once you get to the point I was, burn out hurts...and it takes a LONG time to heal....so unless you want to be in my shoes...take some time out for you kiddo. Nemo needs you and we would hate for you to start hating him, and thinking of him as a weight hanging on your neck.

Hey Dory....some of my best conversations come from the voices in my head...and its really noisey in there when they all go to sleep at the same time, you can hear the wind blow even.. That's when I get bored and call you or someone else so I have someone to talk to.....:P:P:P:P

ok, so it's 'normal'

i just want to get the one on the frame done. i'm sick of looking it at (it's pretty, just sick of looking at it) also, i'm SO far behind in my log, i think that's weighing on me too....this wekkend i might just disappear and see what trouble i can find...

dory- don't tempt me, i might be calling you from the airport, boots and helmet in hand, saying "okay, come get me" :)

bonnie- i might be in your area the week of aug 16th. what's your schedule look like?

(p.s. not only do i have the voices in my head (VIMH), but i have total conversations with the pets, all 3. i tell davis he better becareful leaving me at home all day by myself. i tell him all the time "you're just jealous cause the voices talk to me")

Originally posted by doodlebug

bonnie- i might be in your area the week of aug 16th. what's your schedule look like?

Totally open at this time....just let me know as the time gets closer...in the mean time I will pencil you in. Did you plan to come up here or do I need to come to you....

bonnie-

i'll be in westbury (long island area) for the week, and the friend i'm staying with has a friend in northern NY, we were going to see if she is close to you, and make a day of it with the car- her visiting her friend, and me vistiting you. if that's okay....if not i'll hop a train. i'm creative- i'll get there one way or another.

(p.s. not only do i have the voices in my head (VIMH), but i have total conversations with the pets, all 3. i tell davis he better becareful leaving me at home all day by myself. i tell him all the time "you're just jealous cause the voices talk to me")

Huhuh and I've even called Gene and told him that it was his turn now to speak because the voices were quite and I would be able to hear him..... (shhhh don't wake them...some days they are really really noisy...and man the stuff they spout off with...even makes me giggle at times..) Dang doesn't everyone have voices....I thought everyone did. :o

Shannon, closest airport is Reno...I'm waiting!! Just let me know when to pick you up!

Hey, if the critters are talking, its not "voices in your head"!! They're doing the talking!! My little filly, Emma P., sounds like the voice on the cow commercial when she says, "Don't vote for Lisha." Often times, when Dennis and are riding, we don't say a word to each other, but the horses carry on entire conversations...go figure:P And our Border Collies--now they can TALK!!:P

Hey, Shannon, a thought so your backlog doesn't make you crazy...how about calling your customers and just let them know you're running behind. It will ease the pressure a bit which may help.

Hey Shannon,

You've probably received this advice, but remember to take care of yourself too. It's the old thing when you fly, and who's oxygen mask goes on first. Yours or your incapacitated seatmate. Yours of course! You have to take care of yourself before you can fix anyone else. Or their quilts for that matter.

Now that I've gotten back from my 25 mile bike ride, it's time to get back to work. By the way, it wasn't all play. I got my hair cut, and took a dog bed out to the animal shelter. I love to bike to errands.

Hi Shannon;

Funny, I've been feeling the same way -- I'm backlogged and with more foot surgery possible I feel this pressure to get it all done. I sent out a postcard to current customers and said I would not be quilting for a while and if they wanted their quilts back to give to another quilter, I would understand. Not one of them said they wanted their quilt back; they all were very understanding and said to take my time getting well. So the burden is somewhat lifted and I'm taking some time off. Maybe it will allow me to sit and piece which I NEVER get to do any more.

We gotta do what we gotta do and in the total scheme of things it won't matter a hill of beans in the end!!!

Go hunting!!!!

Sharon

bonnie-

i'll be in westbury (long island area) for the week, and the friend i'm staying with has a friend in northern NY, we were going to see if she is close to you, and make a day of it with the car- her visiting her friend, and me vistiting you. if that's okay....if not i'll hop a train. i'm creative- i'll get there one way or another.

Not a problem....you both can actually even camp here if you want.... I have a king size spare bed and a full sized hideaway ... or a queen airbed so plenty of room you don't have to make it just one day if you don't want to. Come on up.... but I have to laugh...when the locals say nothern NY they generally mean Yonkers...and actually that's still part of NYC...... I'm a bit further up than that.:P:P Just let me know...I have a place for you or at least a BBQ.

ok i have an idea- :P

i call all my customers and tell them i'm taking the summer off. then i rent a RV load up the dogs and cruise around the country meeting all of you guys. instead of couch hoppin, i'd be driveway hopping! :) then i could write a book about it. i could go around america, with the occassional hop across to canada when i felt like it....i could call my book "doddlebuggin' the RV way" it could be like a coffe table book, with lots of pictures, and the weird facts about the places i pass through....oh, NO interstates, all back roads....you now i'd need a good co-pilot....someone who could read a 2-D GPS system....

Well as thick as we are on the map you won't have but a few hours drive between stops.... sounds like a plan...and I not only know how to read a 2D- GPS, but I also am a DANG good flat map reader as well..... AND if you should choose me I have a Garmin, and we can let it get us lost....

I have an idea. Quilters Spa Retreat - where quilters find a spa where everyone comes, and others cook for them, clean their rooms, get massages, pedicure/manicure, go for walks in nature. BUT NO ONE QUILTS but just laughs and laughs.

Is there something like this somewhere already?

Originally posted by Bonnie

how to read a 2D- GPS, but I also am a DANG good flat map reader as well.....

um, a 2-D GPS is a flat map.....:cool: silly little bonnie

laura- i'm putting in my vote for a cabana boy....

Actually Gene has a hand held electric GPS that is 2D that's what I thought you were talking about.:)

Archived