Anyone for a Scrap exchange?

I would like to make a scrappy quilt out of batiks but I would like to make it into an actual scrappy pattern and I don't have enough batiks in my stash.

So I was wondering if anyone else would like to join in exchanging of batiks. I was thinkging if I bought a yard of a fabric and cut it into 9" strips and then cut them in to 9" blocks. Then I could exchange them and I would end up with a bunch of different 9" blocks and could make a very cool scrappy batik quilt.

Is anyone else interested or does anyone else have an ideas on how to get a bunch of scrappy batiks. I know there are strip clubs and charm packs but batiks?

thanks

Brendalee

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we could do somekind of guideline, for example a color scheme? Some thoughts

Earth tones: black, brown, tan, cream

Jewel tones: green, pink, purple, blue

Multi color: green, pink, purple, blue, yellow,

But this would involve no more work then just cutting the blocks out and sending them to the other people, then they make something cool out of them and maybe post it back on the list to see what it turned out like. Some may want a scrappy quilt some applique?? Just a thought, I love batiks and have had a hard time getting a good assortment.

Thanks Brendalee

Sign me up!! Hope there are not too many rules...a simple 9" square exchange works for me. Then you don't have to wait for people to make the blocks- I was in a peiced block exchange before and it really put a bad taste in my mouth for exchanges....the usual -those that dont make the blocks but feel they are intitled to geting thiers, the poor quality fabrics and the worst....the woman who pieced the the pieces together to make a piece to fit. not even the same color!!!! Oh well I think I would try this exchange-I have to work today I could buy my fabric today LOL just let me know when to begin!!

Patty

I have alot of batiks, all quilt store quality, mostly Hoffman. I would love to do a swap. I am actually finishing up a Jewel Box quilt that I made in Batik Jewel tones, and was planning to make a second quilt from the left over scraps based on a block that someone sent out for the 1930's block swap.

How about something like an assortment of 6-9" blocks in a baggy mailed to each person on your list. If 10 people sign up, we will all end up with a nice assortment. Also it's not so over whelming for anyone to complete their commitment.

If anyone really likes Batiks and can't find any in their area I used to get alot of fabric on Ebay. One place in particular was called "Sirius", run out of a quilt store in California. All high end fabrics, also thread, wonderful selection. Alot of water color Batiks by Hoffman. Priced less than I could find it locally. Also they labeled all the cuts with the print color and manufacturer. I ended up buying loads of fat quarters, since they were labeled I knew the colors, and could see them in person, then went and ordered yardage of the colors I really liked.

Dianne

Ok Girls,

Here is the thought, please feel free to chime in.

Looks like we are on for Jewel tones. That means blues, pinks, purples and greens. Not pastels, can be darks and brights. Does that sound good? ;)This has to be good quality batiks, Hoffman or similar, please don't embarrass yourself with low quality fabrics.;)

We are gong to do 10" square cut pieces of fabric. Not a block, you don't have to do anything except cut and mail. This way we all make whatever we want, and I hope to see some cool photos.

Let's give anyone that wants to join until June 1st to join. Then lets see how many people we have and we will see how many we need to send out.

I will be willing to coordinate the exchange. So anyone that wants to join email me your name and address. I will then build a spreadsheet to keep track of who is joining.

Lets say you have until August 1st to send them out, as you really don't have to build anything, its a trip to your LQS and the cutting and the post office. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone to make this one work if they are interested, so I wouldn't anticipate many drop outs. If you don't think you can do it, please don't, we will catch you next time.

I would like to request that if you are missing fabric "dimes" after August 10th, please indicate to me privately through email who you have not recieved them from, and I will contact them.

I do not know how to keep a topic from spidering, and I think sometimes thank you's and such get posted on different threads. Anyone have any good ideas about how that can work? Not everyone is on the board everyday, so how do we let the people know that their mailed fabric has reached its new home? Never organized one, I had a great time in the 1930's one and would have done the fall but don't have the time to build the blocks.

I would love some advise for you all who have done this before! Hey, Teresa??? Got and suggestions?

Thanks a ton ladies, my kids think I am so cool because I get squishy mail and boy do they learn a ton about the areas, we look everyone up on the globe, it has been a family event.

Thanks Brendalee:D:D

Brendalee,

Since all you are exchanging is fabric, not signed blocks, I would suggest that you just have everybody mail them to you. Then you can repack them into manilla envelopes and send everybody however many they are supposed to get. Ask folks to include money for postage is that's an issue.

Another way of keeping track of who received their fabric blocks is to have everyone in the exchange keep an on going list on the site. The top half of the list can be who they have received from and the second half could be who they are still due to get fabric from. It would be up to each person to update/edit their lists as they receive their fabric. Similar to the lists that are now going for the 1930's swap. If everyone just posts to their individual list it would be kept under control and easily scanable. Just a thought.

Dianne

Originally posted by chickenscratch

Brendalee,

Since all you are exchanging is fabric, not signed blocks, I would suggest that you just have everybody mail them to you. Then you can repack them into manilla envelopes and send everybody however many they are supposed to get. Ask folks to include money for postage is that's an issue.

Why not send as many squares as you want up to a maximum number--say 12 (or 20). Send all squares to Brendalee and include another self-addressed and stamped manila envelope for the return of the same number of (different) squares. Then the work would be to keep track of each participent and the number of squares they send. If someone misses the deadline, their squares can easily be returned without any out-of-pocket for Brendalee.

Just a thought:).

Archived