Quilters vs. piecers

This is not a scientific poll but I was just wondering:

1. Were you a piecer before you were a longarmer?

2. Did you ever hire a longarmer to quilt your tops?

3. If so, did the experience teach you anything that has helped you with your own longarm business?

Thanks!

I am a long-time piecer and have used long-arm services for most of the finish work. I felt it was a "shot in the dark" to use a new service. I got more than one back that was nothing like what we had discussed and I was disappointed in the outcome. The experience taught me to pay attention to my customers wants. I write everything we discuss down on a card while we're talking. If the plan changes as I'm working with the top I call the customer.

I've been a piecer for many years - those old two color pieced quilts being a favorite. I've also taught beginning piecing and other pieced projects for years

I can't really say I'm a long-armer yet since I just got the call from Allison that the Millennium will be delivered on next Tues. :D :D

The one and only quilt I ever sent out was a simple nine patch on point with a cuddly flannel back. It came back so over quilted that it was stiff as a board - my DH said it looked like a mattress pad!! Not what I had in mind and I never sent one out again - that's why I have 10 tops for practice when the LA gets here.

So, I am going to be sure to listen to my customers - really listen - and also listen to the quilt. I'm hoping to find my niche doing the more traditional style of quilting that I love - love that crosshatching and those feathered wreaths !

Barb

Another whole week and your Millennium will be there! Isn't it so exciting?

Goodness, I wonder how many people are 100% thrilled when they get their quilts back. I would hate to send mine out now to someone else but I had a wonderful longarmer when we were in Louisiana. As much as I hate being away from my family, I would never have bought my own machine is I was still living near Martha.

Have fun with the new machine!!!

I love to piece, it is so soothing for me but I was only a 'piecer' for about three months before I got my longarm:-) So never sent out a quilt, didn't have a clue. This is where the boards have been such a help. I think that as newbies we get so hyped and impressed with all of the lovely show type quilting that we tend to overquilt once we get going and that progresses as time goes by. I love the look of the heavily quilted pieces BUT I don't care for the feel and definately don't like using them. Most of my customers are bringing me 'practical gift' type tops and thankfully one of them said early on that she wanted medium spaced quilting, not too heavy, blah blah blah. I find this to be true of all of my customers. The temptation to do some heavy custom work on one sometimes is almost overwhelming. But I stop and think, what am I getting paid to do here? Right now there is the most wonderful top with vivid batik dragons on the machine and I am dying to do varigated threads and custom work on it but customer wants overall 'nothing fancy'. The bread and butter in longarming in my area is everyday quilts with medium e2e or meanders.

Shoot, I would do this one for the same price just to play with it!!! Have to find time to finish piecing mine so I can play again:-)

Mary & Sophie

Guest Linda S

I was and still am (hopefully) a piecer. Finding it a little difficult to squeeze in the time to piece and I haven't even opened the business doors yet!

I never sent a quilt out for machine quilting. I've always been a do it myself kind of gal. Actually, until about a year ago, I wasn't really even aware of the fabulous quilting that could be done on these machines. I don't know if I was just living in my own little world or what!

So, having seen these wonderful quilts by Judy, Linda A, Sherry, Karen McT, etc., I am inspired to try to do something nearly as good. When I try something new and it comes out well, I dance around my quilting studio and the length of my table, then go back and try some more!! We won't talk about the things that don't come out so well! :P

At any rate, I'm loving the whole experience. Now if I could only afford to get rid of my day job!

Barb - I'm so excited for you!! Hold onto your hat. You'll be having so much fun!!

Linda

This was the most upsetting part of quilting for others...I just never had time to do something for me. In the last 6 weeks after giving my notice, I have to admit that I should have been boxing stuff up and getting ready for this move, but I was setitng at the sewing machine piecing for me. I sat for a minute and thought about the last quilt that I pieced and did for ME....it was over 4 years ago. I got so involved with customers quilts that I just felt to guilty to do something for me, so I stopped doing my own stuff, and I have to admit that I got so burnt out that at times it was a big chore to make myself even look at the pile that I had in the corner waiting for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let this happen to you...quilt for others, but also stop and quilt for you as well. Its very important not to loose yourself like I did, I didn't realize that I was as tired as I was until I started to look back and wondered how I did some of the things that I have done. I don't mean to harp, but please please piece for yourselves and look at the business end as a business, keep hours for customers and and not eat and sleep for them as I did. ;)

I've been piecing for 10 years, not very prolific. Been sending all my tops out to longarmers. Only one came back totally different than what I had asked for (and ruined, in my eyes, but not in the eyes of the baby who got it!) which is a great lesson in the art of LISTENING (the quilter paid no attention to what I asked for)! My biggest frustration has been that I find a good, reliable quilter and then have to wait 3+ months to get a quilt back. When I finally get into this business with customers, I will really try to communicate, stay in touch, and be clear about everyone's expectations.

I love to piece. I've been doing it for years. I decided to get a home quilter after waiting 2 years to get 2 quilts back from the local LA'er. My stack was getting pretty big. More to this story, but I sure don't want to hurt anyone. I am glad I got my Liberty.

Cheryl

It deleted my message, so will repost. Piecer for 24 years, sent early large ones out to LA little old lady who was fast and cheap. Thrilled with any type of quilting, nothing exciting. Boy have I learned alot, and much more to go. I try something new frequently, in piecing and quilting. So things always have room for improvement. and that is why classes/videos/book are a great asset. Debbie Rolek

http://community.webshots.com/user/debbierealquilts

I had pieced many quilts and sent them to a dear friend with a LA. I gave her a free hand to do whatever she wanted. As a result, I received some beautiful custom quilts in return. I was so impressed with her work that I decided to visit her to learn the trade. She graciously taught me more than I ever imagined and when I got home I ordered my machine. She is still my mentor and I strive to reach her level of perfection.

One of the things I learned was that waiting 3-6 months to get a quilt back was very disappointing. I decided not to accept any quilts that I couldn't complete within 4-6 weeks. It has kept me from getting too stressed and gave my clients the option to use someone else if they didn't want to wait.

At the moment I am not quilting for other people. I found that I never had any time to do my own quilts or work on other projects. I'm taking time off, at least 4 months, to do the things I've missed. When I start up again it will be at a slower pace. I got into quilting because I love it and I don't want to lose that passion.

I can sure relate to Barb. I have been a sewer since I was little, but quilting is a whole new medium for me. Seven years ago, I made a queen size spread and need to hold the layers together ( mind you I had not quilted a top yet so did not have a clue), I drew on a designed and shoved this whole thing through my regular machine night after night, I did not even realize that this was called quilting. Then I stopped in a local store that had opened up, and it was like a candy store. Didn't know how to read the pattern, Quilt patterns are different than clothing, and I joined a quilt guild, which has been tremendous help. Then I saw a long-arm machine about two years ago, and started my research. For me it was like riding a tricyle and saying I can do this, I can ride this big bike! Yeah Baby!!!! I got my Liberty this last May, and I wish I could give up my Day job, but not yet. I really don't want my business to build so fast (which I don't think is a problem anyway), but I want don't want to just put out the product, I want to enchance the art. So I am soaking up the knowledge. And this web site is a great help. Thanks to all of you.:D

I've been a avid piecer for almost thirty years; yes before the tools were cool! Thanks goodness the cardboard template has passed on :o and rotary cutters and nice acrylics are here! I sent my quilts out for years however I am a busy piecer (one quilt a week) and it got rather pricey, I wasn?t always thrilled when they returned. I tried various quilters around the country and gave up, in 1995 I bought brand G. :mad: after wrestling it to the ground weekly (so many issues) for three years I sold it and waited for the opportunity to purchase the Millennium.. Well I retired in March and it arrived it mid June. I have a top stash to keep me going for about three months I had no idea it was that large until she got here and I started looking for things to do! The rest is quilting bliss and as soon as my daughter goes back to school next week :D I?ll get back up to speed. Summer breaks always-slow me down. I do only quilt for others twenty hours a week and the rest is all about me! I sound like the kids now don?t I? As for customers I have learned to take notes and draw illustrations (not a great artist) so that we all know what we are getting. I like to think that almost everyone is happy. I know I am loving life!

I have been piecing for about 1 1/2 years now. I tried quilting a few small projects on my DSM and it was very frustrating. I sent out 2 quilts to be done by a professsional quilter and was told they would be done in 4 months. 8 months later she still hadn't started them. By that time I had already ordered my Millennium and I asked for my quilt tops back. I will do them myself when I get enough PPP in!

• 1 year later...

I am at the moment a piecer & have been for about 8 years, I have sent out 4 quilts to be quilted on a L.A., the first quilt went to a L.A.r that was a newbie & she didn't tell me my batting was to thick & then charged me more because it was harder for her to quilt. :( The last time the L.A.r was far more talented and I was quite pleased. At presant I am wanting to start my own L.A. buss. & am finding it hard to find used or preowened machines in B.C. Canada, but that will not stop me. It may take a while longer but i'll get a Milli. yet!!!:D

I just love this forum, I've learned alot from you guys, :D but I must spend less time here & more time getting my buss. off the ground

I have been piecing for about 5 years, LA for almost 2. I have never sent a quilt out to LA'er because I felt I couldn't afford it. So I only quilted baby quilts and one twin size.

Figure out this logic, I couldn't afford to send my quilts out to be quilted, so I bought a Millie:D. That almost sounds dumb. But I am glad I did. Even though I am not artistic, and I struggle with some of the quilting, I have learned tons. Besides I have met some of the nicest people, customers as well as other quilters.

Some things I have learned just this week are this:

1. Be totally honest with my customers.

2. Don't make them wait a year for their finished product.

3. Be committed.

4. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have been look at your quilting very closely, chances are no one else will see it like you do.

The first 3 points I learned from another quilter in the area, not from her personally, but through other people. This lady is one of the most talented quilters I know, and she has thrown it all away because she gets too involved in her own quilts, in being someone at our machine quilter's guild, and vision of grandure - wanting to write quilting books or be a teacher/quiling expert. One of her customer's called the police to try to get her quilt top back. One customer threatened her with "Call for Action" a local T.V. news program that goes after "shifty" businesses because she had the customer's $100 deposit and her quilt top for a year. And the local quilt shop owners will not recommend her to anyone. Yep, I've learned a lot this week.

The last point I learned last week when I attended the classes in Des Moines with Dawn Cavanaugh. Along with that will come confidence. I'm getting there :cool:

Have a great day,

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

You said that your logic was all off. NOPE NOPE NOPE.....That's also how I got my ULT II almost 9 years ago now...There were only 2 LA'rs in Nevada at that time and I just couldn't see paying the outlandish prices that they were charging for quilting, I had planned to make 7 king size quilts for christmas presents that year, and there wasn't any way I was going to pay $350 for each one to be quilted (and that was only simple meandering at that time, no customer work)...so I too bought my own, and started a business...Some logic, but its how I got here and it put bread and butter on the table for just about that long. I have since moved away from Nevada, but I'm still quilting and loving each and every day.

You learned some very important things this week....There is/was a quilter in Reno that did something similiar to this and I think that there are several that are still waiting for their quilts last I had heard.

I think the learning process is totally a work in progress, I am learning things about myself and my machine daily, but I've always known it was better to be honest with people than try to pull snow over their eyes...silly woman, Karma will get her.

Have a great day.

Bonnie

I admit it, I am a closet piecer :P

I used to use a longarmer, but one of the main motivators for me was to be able to say "I did it" I have also been competeing so that was important, the "team quilt" category is getting toooo crowded. That and the fact that I am publishing patterns now, and you have to make, finish and quilt many samples of each. Hiring out was just getting too expensive.

Then, yes of course my knowledge of piecing has helped, and quilters respect me and my opinion. There is a man in our area that Longarms (nothing against them mind you) and he is much cheaper. But he needs to be to get business. He has never pieced a thing in his life. Although I know htere are some FABULOUS L/Aers like Karen McTavish and Sue Scmeiden who cam in with no quilting OR piecing experiennce. Good company!

I was a piecer before a longarmer. I was always a sewer and then started piecing about 8 or 9 years ago. I quilted my own tops on my domestic for a bit. There was no longarm quilter where I was living at the time. We moved so I started investigating who to get to quilt my tops and found that there were about 6 longarm quilters in town but all booked up for at least three months. I was on maternity leave and decided that this was a homebased business " I could do too" and never looked back. That was just over 4 years ago and now I have two machines and a super business. Now I am one of those with a waitlist, but my customers book ahead and no one really seems to mind. New customers call and are aware of my waitlist. The key is keeping them informed - I send out letters, e-mails and advertise alot. I also ensure that I really listen to them and we spend a lot of time going over designs and threads. Other customers do just say - whatever - I still give them options and prices and make them choose at least enough to get some direction of what they expect and at least 'what they want to spend'. I love this 'job' and wouldn't change any decisions I have made. I would just like to have more time to quilt my own tops -- I have WAY too many sitting here. I try to schedule my own in, but something always seems to happen. Oh well...I'll keep trying.

I have been making and piecing quilts for over 30 years. I have always lived in the mountains or in the country and had a full time job and never took time to shop around when I got to town.:( When we moved to a bigger city I was so happy to find the new gadgets like rotory cutters, acrylic templates and misc.

I never had a class or lesson on quilting, I always used cardboard templates and doing it on my own and I have always hand quilted my quilts. Several years ago I sent out some qulits to be long arm quilted and fell in love with them. I now belong to a quilting group and have taken lessons.

I saved for years for my Millennium and just got it last October, and have enjoyed longarm quilting so much, I am having a ball!:D I am still working but I try to cut back on my hours so I can quilt. I thank you all of you ladies for all the hints and ideas that you have given.

Jean

I have been piecing quilts for as long as I can remember. I have never sent a quilt out for someone to finish. I have ownership issues. When a quilt is finished, I want to be able to tell the person I made it for that I did it myself for them. It's a good thing that all of our customers don't feel that way. When I bought my LA it was so that I could quilt for myself and family without the struggle of trying to fit the quilt under a small machine. Although many of my favorite quilts were quilted on my 30 year old Sears Kenmore. I never intended to go into the LA business but there was a need in my area so when people asked, I gave in. It's been fun, stressful, educational and more. But as Linda S. said, it's hard to squeeze in some time to enjoy doing my own projects.

My business name is Patches N' Paws. "Patches" is obviously for my quilting and the "Paws" is because I raise Border Collie pups and Labrador Retriever pups for sale and I run a kennel where people can board their dogs when they go out of town. Dogs are another of my passions. They take up the first half of every day so my quilting time is limited to the second half of the day.

If I could just clone myself, I could take time to enjoy it all. It's wonderful to hear from all of you that you experience many of the same things I feel on a daily basis. It's very uplifting to hear from all of you.

Thanks,

Pam Geary:)

Judy, I am one of the "man" quilters mentioned by quiltaholic_518 who never pieced a single quilt !

Kathy is piecing all the tops. Many times, that I have a question and at other times, she ask what is best for the quilt. We help each other and the end result is a better looking quilt.

Kathy used to take the quilt tops to a couple of different Long Arm quilters in our area. One was cheap and quick but had only one pattern and the other one was good and expensive but overbooked and it took a long time.

When I retired, I took up machine quilting and with a lot of PPP I was able to quilt as good or better as other local shops.

I love to try new things and always look at your stunning quilts to be able to do as good as you do. I took many classes at MQS and try to put everything that I learned into action but it's a slow process.

The main thing is that I am having fun and gained respect and a good reputation around the area.

I just posted pictures of my latest quilt, Rhapsody in Blue, that I finished Yesterday. They are in my Webshots album "2006 quilts"

Jurgen

I had been a "piecer" for years before I found that it was really only a "means to an end" for me. I loved to quilt the tops! Then I found that what I really loved to do was create art quilts. I have adapted a way of piecing that allows me more freedom to create and less worry about the actual sewing. My problem is common to us all. No time to do anything for myself. I am entering a quilt in a show this weekend and had to make myself quilt it so that it could go in. It put me behind in my work, which has me stressed. I would like to do what Jean Weishahn has done, but first I need to get caught up. I am scheduled into September, but have been turning down quilts. I am glad you posted your comments, Jean. Now I can see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Lynn Eckman

Spokane, Wa

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnspokane

I started out piecing. Tried to quilt using my viking, but found it too hard on my hands and upper body. Have quilted clothing on my machine also, not really relaxing way to do things. I sent 2 tops out to be quilted. The first went to the closest shop that has a long arm. The wait time then was 3-4 months and "working very hard" they just brought their wait time back down to 4 months. The repeats weren't as close together on the panto as I would have liked. The second quilt went to a woman who is about 2 miles away from me. She did a much better job - asked more questions when I dropped the quilt off. However, I am a control freak and really want to complete start to finish. I also want to do more with quilted clothing and am NOT sending that out. It seems more logical to me to quilt first, sew later. My question is why would anyone take in a quilt if you have such a long wait time? Why not just have a waiting list and call the client when you can actually mount the quilt or there is only 1 on the machine and she is next. Are we all so afraid the business will go elsewhere and there won't be enough pie to go around? I'm still learning. I know I will be forced into business because as soon as someone finds I have a Millie she wants me to take her quilts. Have several potential clients lined up. I'm just not forgiving enough with myself yet to visit my work on others. Looking at the quilting in magazines is getting me over the hump, and my dance with the machine is getting more relaxed. I didn't decide to do this to add stress to my life.

Archived