Cutting Tables

kennan100

I have two of those folding cutting tables you can get at Hancock's. I like them because they fold away to nearly nothing but when folded out they are very large. Now there is no storage so that's a downer. Good luck. I sure wish my sewing room looked as good (and as clean) as the ones posted on here!!!

Oh - I envy all of you - here in Kent I have just a standard cutting table with 2 fold out leaves but only have enough room to extend one side - down south, I use the kitchen counter. which is not very big - barely the size of a big mat - when I have large pieces of fabrics, I drape over a chair so the fabric does not pull/stretch. I have to stay very organized! -

I took a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, cut off 2 feet of the length, and put 2x4 legs on the 4x6 foot piece. I sanded and finished the surface with many coats of rock hard varathane and also finished the edges with trim. I made adjustable legs, but right now it is 36 inches high. I like to stand and sew quick projects, and it's perfect for my 5'4" height, sewing, cutting, doing layouts, etc. It takes up quite a bit of my room, but I have a good 4 foot square to work on three sides. The rest is for clutter and my DSM.:D The 2x4 foot piece that was left over I covered with thin batting and muslin and that's my ironing surface. It lays on top of my ironing board, and when I'm not using it it stands behind the door out of the way. It's great for ironing width of fabric pieces and fat quarters.

I should have pictures, but maybe later on webshots.

I am toying with the idea of using the premade cabinets from Lowes/Home Depot. I'm thinking, if a sheet of plywood is 4'x8' then you could have a pretty good area for table top, plus, with my height I could put a base under it if needed to raise it to where it needs to be. Most tables are just way, way too low for me.

I usually don't post very often, mostly just enjoy reading everyday but I have to tell you about my cutting table. Our local Hancock Fabrics was changing out all their fixtures and was selling all their old ones. I purchased one of their 5 ft. x 10 ft. cuting tables with all open stoarge underneath with a door on each end. My grandson has hundreds of legos in the bottom of it and spends a lot of time under there when I'm quilting and he's 11 yrs. old. I am fortunate to have a shop that doubles as an office for another business. When we built the shop I didn't have the cutting table so now my husband says if I can sell this building he will build me a larger one. I know I am very fortunate to have the space to put a table so big and it is well used and I love it. Oh, I almost forgot to say, I got it for $100.00.

Shelia

Archived