My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

Admitting it is the first step toward curing it right???:P

Just got an e-mail from Fabric Depot (great prices, good fabric, out of Portland so no sales tax) and its so hard not to press the "confirm order" button. I don't need the fabric. Even if I buy the fabric, I don't have any time to do anything with it so its basically just a major case of the "I wants" and an exercise in stash building.

Somebody, quick tell me not to push that button. ...back away from the computer:D:D

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's the real issue...I don't even have to use a credit card. Due to Brother Dave (Dave Ramsey), we don't have any CC debt (well, except for Mel and he's his own thing since he's a business expense).

There are some people on this list, who shall remain nameless, that have zillions of dollars in their stashes. Mine, in comparison, is relatively small...I'm thinking that I must make it grow!

Okay, nevermind...you guys are just no help!!!:D;):P Although Jeanne has a point...if I sell my current base, I could use the fabric money with the money from the base and buy the base I really want....now that's a thinker:P

Dear Dory, I'm so sorry you have this affliction. I too, have suffered for years from this addition.The only cure it is to immerse yourself in your addition. I've been doing it for years and I find it really helps.

PS Fabric Depot, huh? Do you Hancock of Paducha too. Very bad place for us addicts with plastic. Am expecting the lastest "cure" any day now.

I can relate. We just spent so much money prepping a picnic area on our property that now we can't afford a picnic table. We had to pay for bush hogging and leveling, mulch and sod. Hopefully, this fall when it's not so hot out, we can get the table.

Oh Dory, is there a 12 step program for fabriholics? I need one. I too have pushed the submit button too many times - even pushed it recently on their Batik sale. I'm going through all my fabrics this week and organizing them and have a big bin full of stuff I hope to sell - what was I thinking!

Is it the colors - the feel - the smell of new fabric. See - here I go getting that urge to go online and look-see some more.

Can I ask for help too?

Me? I cannot... I absolutely can not walk out of a quilt shop without buying SOMETHING! I don't have an addiction, do I? No. I am not a fabriholic... But all of the (five?) storage bins in my quilting room are full and now I've started stacking the fabric on top of the lids because I REFUSE to buy another bin (because if I do that bin will be instantly full with what's stacked on top now). I need two more bins, maye three.

SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!

OK this is Shana's monthly receipts in her pocket book when she enters them into Quicken:

$ fuel for car

$ groceries

$ wine and beer

$ Material Girls quilt shop

$ more fuel for car

$ Northern Threads quilt shop

$ some more groceries

$ Calico Cow quilt shop

$ wine for dinner

$ fuel for car

$ Material Girls quilt shop

$ Northern Threads quilt shop

$ groceries

$ Calico Cow quilt shop

$ more wine

Now you know where my money goes each month. It's pretty much the same every month...food, gas, booze and fabric, repeat.

What fabric stash? I'm going green, I'm insulating the inside of my house with fabric, in the closets, under the bed, in the kitchen pots. (Who has time to cook anyway?) Under the bed, in the trunk of the car, inside bags, inside the purse, inside the crock pot with the hidden, I won't share dark chocolate.

I have multiple addictions, Thank Goodness that Quilts are the answer. They successfully produce an acceptable result that allows one to gather more necessary color choices....

I do not find that my stash reporduces itself.

Too Funny, the first thing I did when I got home , after visiting 2 fabric stores, didn't need anything, AND they were Not having a sale, coming home with "stash"....bad me.

You should know that I have yardage, I bought, gulp, back when it was 36" wide and so stiff it could hold itself up....I've collected so long, now I am actively working in reverse, I used to worry I wouldn't have enough, now I need to figure out how to use more, quicker, without sacrificing quality, Hence THE MILLI!!!

I read once that quilters have the wrong idea regarding stash. Instead of thinking of it as something to use up, think of it as a collection. If your husband collected coins or stamps, he wouldn't dream of "using" them!!!

I find the paypal button as bad as plastic....:P Pat

Dear Dory, My name is Kim and I am a fabriholic, I have been addicted since I was 14 and learned how to sew. My first job was in a fabric shop and I still have some of it! That was 36 years ago.

I LOVE fabric, can't resist petting it wherever I find it. My youngest son & I went to look for a new sectional for the family room yesterday and he was petting the samples too! (He's a cop!) :P

I look at it as an investment, if we lose heat or have an ice age I can insulate us with my giant stash!

So you have my blessing to PUSH the button, go ahead live dangerously! :P:D:cool:;):)

Here's a funny one, I worked at my LQS with a gal who just couldn't let her DH know how much stash she had so she became very creative at hiding the bags and boxes. One of her favorite spots was the wheel well for the spare tire in her car, can you guess what happened????? :o Yup hubby was with her when they got a flat and I have to say the fabric will NOT take the place of a spare tire! :P:P:P

Archived