My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

LOL!!Dear Dory, I should be going to fabrics annon...but it just feels so good to walk out of a quilt store even with a fat quarter!! I think." hey these shop owners are working hard and need support" so I support every time I get a chance!! I recently had Barb Mayfield (APQS rep from North Washington serving north Idaho and Montana as well) her DH here to replace my wheels with Edge Riders and while they were here she went into the bathroom and came out telling me she knew I was a quilter as I even had fabric stored in the bathroom!!

I love Fabric Depot and get there at least once a year, such a selection of fabrics!! It's so hard to choose but I've leaned to take patterns with me and TRY to stick to those projects but somehow other 5 to 7 yards of random beauties just leap into my cart!! My plan was to use up a lot of my stash practicing with my new Millie. I guess I should name it, everyone seems to have a name for theirs. Just to let you know how new I am with it, I asked Barb about not getting offered colors because I really wanted a purple one or some great metalic color, but she said they don't come in colors, but I kept seeing green ones mentioned....she let me in on the Green machines.. I felt so out of touch!! I just fondled some fabric and felt better.. good luck with your struggles...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to comment -- and I'm highly qualified, since I'm in the zillion-dollar club -- but I'm in too much of a hurry. I'm on my way to my LQS to pick up a customer quilt. Not gonna buy anything, uh-uh, no way! Unless they still have that lime green batik on the sale rack ... or .. ??? Bye (or is that buy?) now.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

OK... Don't tell Dory but I think we all need to fly out to Quincy, CA for an Intervention.

Whatayathink, girls???? :cool:

So... You all can show up on Dory's doorstep to work on her addiction and me? I'll just go outside to the paddock and hang out with the ponies.

Funny, Shana...very funny, indeed!:P

However, "flying" to Quincy is next to impossible (unless you have a small plane) and once you're here, you'll never find me. :D Even though my husband does the GIS maps for the entire county, guess whose house isn't even on it???? :o You should see when people try to find us with their car GPS--they end up in all sorts of weird places!

But...come on down...lets ride!!! The boys need conditioning, we're doing a 50-miler in August.

Okay, this is the weird part...I can go to a quilt shop and not buy. But let me get an e-mail with all those pretty pictures, and, well, you know what happens. I think its the delayed gratification... After all, its usually days between ordering and getting, so its a double treat.

And, worst of all (or maybe its good, sort of), Dennis just laughs when I buy more fabric. He's never said a bad word and often helps me pick it out.

Hey, do you think that if I start an encounter group, we could all meet at a quilt shop to discuss our "problem"? Bet you all could help me get over the "must order by mail" hang-up!

Off to shop at FD, virtually, of course;)

Hey Dory, I've been to butterfly valley. My neice was married there. Really pretty area.

Bet if you open a quilt shop everyone will find you.

Check out this online quilt store (Countrypinesquiltshop.com)

A lady in Susanville opened it and she sells to us locals on weekends and by appointment. She has lots and lots and lots of fabric and tries to keep it under $8.00 a yard.

Barbara, whose house were you at? We're all the way around the valley toward the back.

My friends and I have been talking about opening a quilt shop...don't know that it will ever happen. What a terrific website your friend has...I feel the need to push buttons coming on!!!

Originally posted by doodlebug

I was scared you meant me on the first post

Hi, I'm shannon, and according to dory, I'm a fabriholic.

And I'm proud to be....it's my retirement plan....

'splain please...how exactly is that a retirement plan?:D

You guys think you've got it bad? I've ridden my bike within 7 blocks of Fabric Depot every day for the past 2 weeks. Thankfully I've been going at 7am, so they aren't open yet. However, I then spend the entire day at the quilt shop! Amazingly, I've only bought 5 yards of fabric this week, and that's going to be a blouse for me and a b-day gift for my nephew.

So, whenever anyone wants to come and visit "The Depot", the guest room will soon be available again. I won't even make you ride your bike there either. However, I've got a trailer to haul stuff on the bike if we need to!

Beth,

You're an enabler, that's what you are!!:P I was already planning on stopping at Fabric Depot and/or E.E. Schenk on my way to/from the Moxie Meeting in just over two weeks - what days/times are they open? I figure you know that by heart.....;)

This was my cure - a smaller place so don't have the room anymore. I use every nook and cranny I have but past that - no more room. Therefore - buy less (still too much) & have to keep making more tops just so I have room for what little more "I need"! Unfortunately, it also meant a 10' table instead of a 12' or 14' (but 10' is better than 0'!!). I am sure this is no help to anyone ..... LOL!!:P

I, too, am terminal.

BUT, we are all extremely patriotic and are doing our part to help stimulate the economy, right?

Of course, we can't leave ANY of the quilt stores without SOMETHING, they depend on our business to stay in business. I certainly want to do my part in this crisis.

I am heading for Sisters this Saturday with 39 other guild members and guests on a bus to do just that. The little town of Sisters needs our help, I am positive and I am all for helping out whenever I can.

I rest my case.

Originally posted by doodlebug

i still can't beileve you called me out....

and as soon as i come up for an explanation to 'it's retirement' i have to tell davis first. he's still waiting on that answer...:P

Now, come on...what are friends for???:P:D

Hi Ladies, my hubby just made me some shelves in my little walk in closet that houses my fabric. It is only about 6ft x 6ft square with a dfoorway, but he did such a good job and I got my fabric somewhat organized. Still have a ways to go but....a great start. I can never say no to a great deal and I love bright and funky fabrics. here are 3 pictures, each showing a side of my closet

post--13461902151975_thumb.jpg

Archived