Here's one I just Finished

WOW Judy,

You are really talented. When I see this kinda work it helps to put me in a better perspective. I have so much work ahead of me and MUCH to learn but I'm enjoying the Journey. I just love the quilt. GREAT JOB!!!!

I have so many that I admire in this art and your one of them. Again great quilt1!!

Anyone can do what I did. The feather design in the corners is a stencil. Mark it, follow the lines . . it's done! This is the kind of quilting I love. I'd rather do this than freehand stuff any day.

Marie, I got my first longarm (which was an old shortarm but I didn't know any better) in 1998 so I guess it will be 8 years this summer. I started piecing and hand quilting in 1980 (when I was 2! ;)) so I've been playing with fabric for many years.

Grammie, you're so right about enjoying the journey. I've said it before but there's not a single night that I don't go to bed thinking how truly blessed I am to be doing what I do. I learn something new every day, either from reading the quilting forums or dealing with a customer or working on a quilt. The journey continues and I love every minute of it.

Thanks everyone for your comments on the quilt.

Here's a post about my favorite tool for straight edge stitching: http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=742#pid5178

I learned to longarm back when I wasn't aware of all the classes/machine quilting shows/websites, etc. so I had to make do with what I could find.

This is the tool I learned with and even though I've bought a half a dozen or more SID tools, this is still my favorite.

Linda L.: Just checked out your web site (I was wondering what a blog was), it's like a journal of your day to day stuff & you share it with all those who are interested, I loved it. Your sewing room looks much like mine, I guess Gemmini's are more creative in a mess. ;)

I'm planning to make (get) a web site, my sister in law can help me. :cool: she's good at those things.

I know the client will be very happy with your work (I would be) How big are those patches in the center?

Karen: I do know. I keep up with my time. I include the time with the initial consultation with the client, the amount of time incurred while deciding on the design, marking the design, quilting, removing marks and return to the client.

That's the only way I can accurately judge if I'm making a fair wage. If I stop to fold clothes, walk the dog, answer e-mail, etc., the clock stops.

I quote the price before I do the work so sometimes I end up making a bit more or less than I plan because one never knows what might happen during the quilting process but I can get pretty close with a guess.

Once the customer and I decide on a quilting plan, I give them a price, and no matter what happens, that price doesn't change.

Archived