NQR Cousin Patty out of CCU - edited

Boni

This is definitely NOT quilt related but I believe it is important and needed by all of us. Patty is still in the hospital but should be going home soon. This lady was enjoying life and due to circumstances beyond her control was knocked flat! What should have been obvious by previous incidences, was allowed to progress to almost death. The pacemaker was put in to regulate her misfiring/irregular heart beat--a needed procedure. Now they have discovered after three incidents, she has a rejection issue. The doctors are researching a covering for the pacemaker so her body won't reject it and when she is completely healed, they will put it back in keeping their fingers crossed that her body will stay clean.

IN THE MEANTIME: and the reason I'm writing this, she will go home with a new way of eating and living. Doctors want her to lose fifty pounds and this is what they are recommending:

http://goodfoodgreatmedicine.com/cookbook/What%20is%20so%20Important%20About%20Good%20Food.pdf

It is a book called Good Food Great Medicine, by Miles Hassell, a local physician, St. Vincent Medical Center. It is all about eating good food, exercising, and living for optimal health. I want to encourage you to check it out. His writing style is quite humorous, and full of common sense. It made a believer out of me. I hope it will help someone out there. Patty and I are going to work together and learn what we can to make changes in our lives. We almost lost her, and we'll start with this to try to prevent that from happening again.

Boni:

Thanks for sharing the book information. It sounds like something we could (almost) all use! I was wondering how Patty is doing; sounds like the doctors are trying hard to get her back on her feet. I will continue to have Patty and you in my thoughts and sending thoughts of strength and healing. (((hugs))) to you all.

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Patty was feeling so good today they let her go to the cafeteria for lunch. She passed out at the table and now is in critical care with a wire directly into her heart as a temporary pacemaker. Please keep her in your prayers. This is not good. I'll see her tomorrow.

Patty had a LOT of family this weekend and the staff got really irritated at us. They shut the door by 4:30 and wouldn't let any of us back in. She is resting well. Tomorrow her doctor is going to "work her in" and do the procedure for a pacemaker. She really needs it and she can't lie in bed connected to a refrigerator-sized pacemaker forever! This is going on three weeks and the family is getting a little restless for Patty. I didn't even get to go into her room this afternoon, but I left my little "sunshine quilt" for her. I wrote a note that said," Patty, they won't let me in to see you, but I am in this quilt. Give me a hug and I'll keep you snug." I just hope they give it to her with the note intact.

Do you know what happens to your hands and feet when you lie in bed and do nothing for three weeks? Her skin is peeling off just like snake skin! I experienced that after I had my carpal tunnel surgery, but Patty's skin is just sloughing off big time. She is a hard worker and does a lot of yard work and chops fire wood, she had a lot of calluses on her hands, and now she's losing them. At least she'll have beautiful new skin after this.

Everyone of you has been a true prayer warrior for Patty. God bless you and thank you for your vigilance.

They told us the surgery would probably be sometime tomorrow afternoon. I'll be there all day, no matter what they say. Patty wants someone to be with her at all times and we'll do what we can to honor her wishes. The hospital staff will just have to accept that. I don't mean to sound hard and calloused, but someone has to remind them we are humans and need that human contact to heal. Don't you agree?

Bonnie, big (((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) for the whole family, but mainly you and Patty, along with big and frequent prayers, too.

We are having the untruthful kind of Oregon weather today, you know, where it rains every day and doesn't stop. ROFL Sure feels good, temps are low finally, too.

I couldn't stand a hospital for 10 days.. Guess if I had to I would, but sure wouldn't find anything to enjoy about it by then. 10 days was about 8 too many last time.

Hugs, Love, Rita and Himself.

Marvels of modern medicine: Doc found a little sack to put the pacemaker in so that she will not have rejection issues. Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday morning. Best scenario, she will go home Friday. Woo Hoo. Don't know what the worst scenario would be and I don't want to think about it. Best thing is she is ready to go home and is in the planning mentality. The nursing staff was reasonable today after the family had a meeting. They should not have shut us out yesterday. Now, we visit two at a time and someone is with her at all times. She's happy. Power to the people!!! I stand in awe at all the wires, tubes, and gadgetry in CCU. The monitors are interesting to watch, but I get a little concerned when the alarms go off and the screen turns red. The temporary pacemaker is a wire going into her neck and directly into her heart. She is supposed to turn her head to keep it from stiffening up. Yeah, that's right!! It's painful. I won't give more details cause it is not pleasant. She's a trooper and I told her we all are praying for her. This should make a believer out of her! She has no other choice but to tough it out.

Thanks guys! Sigh. . .

I thought for sure I'd have very positive news for you today, but it just isn't happening.

Good news: pacemaker is in protective sack, surgery completed.

Bad news: they punctured a lung during the process.

I'm crying. The doctors do not have a plan B. They are treating it as an infection issue instead of a rejection issue. That may be a good thing in the long run, but she will be miserable until she is through the woods, so to speak.

Yesterday I found her in tears because her back was aching so much. I made a nuisance of myself and got the nurses to come in and get her out of bed. They were reluctant only because it took two nurses to transfer her, but the results were miraculous. While she was sitting up in the chair, her breathing was better, she could talk better, she had a twinkle in her eye, and I got to brush her hair and braid it fresh. Then they brought the "hypothermia" blanket to ice her back when they put her back in bed---4 hours later---and she had a great night before the surgery. Again, we had high hopes. Alas, now who is responsible for this one, and how do they account for that!:mad:

I'm on my knees and praying all will heal in time and NO MORE nightmares.

Thank you so much for your ears, shoulders, and prayers.

The little quickie quilt I made a while ago is the one I took to her this week. She is using it as a comfort quilt. BTW, I used Quilters Dream Puff batting and she says it's nice and warm even though it's very light. The size (44x52 I think) is perfect for her hospital bed, just covers her without extra bulk to tangle in wires etc., and the colors are very cheerful in that sterile room.

Oh Boni

What an ordeal you have all been through with this. I was just looking an hour ago to see if there were any updates to Patty's surgery. Yes, Lord we are thankful for your bringing her thru the surgery and now another setback with the lung to bring before his throne of Grace, Prayers continue be blessed and know that he is with you always!!

Boni,

Oh poor Patty. I assume they had to put in a chest tube? I've had 13 or more collapsed lungs and major lung surgery...my heart goes out to her as those are no fun by themselves much less with the added pacemaker problem. Good news is that the lungs have a way of healing themselves more quickly than you think it will take. I pray that her lung heals quickly! Give her a big hug for me and bunches to you too!

Archived