thread breakage

I have a milli. I am fairly new back to this after taking a long break. I cannot sew at all wtih my machine. I broke a needle then filed down all plssible places for burrs ,replaced the needle, re threaded the maching adjusted the tenison; used sew aide on my thread top and bottom. and i am JUUUst this close to sacrapping the whole idea of quilting. I called and left two messages at APQS, waited almost 2 weeks, no reaponse!!!! e-mailed them today and now on to this rant, please help, this is a big investment!!!

Originally posted by deloa

feel free to call me anytime 269-767-2799 i may be able to walk you through some things

dave

I just want to say how wonderful it is that someone here is always stepping in to try to help! As a newbie, I've learned so much from reading here and each time I have a go at my machine, I find myself improving.

Thank you all!

hang in there, stress can make the situation 10 times worst.

So breath, relax (chocolate or a stiff drink may be required). And approach your machine with confidence and tell yourself that you will conquer this.

Most likely it is just basic mistakes that all of us make. Last month I too had to refind my tension sweet spot after doing this for over 4 years...it can be very frustrating, so hang in there.:)

Hi Cinnamon

Before you put the hook assembly back in, do go over it with a fine stocking or some dental floss and check for areas where the dental floss might catch. These are the areas where thread might also catch and break. Also, you said you've filed down all areas where thread might catch. On the hook assembly, just check that you haven't mistakenly sanded the area that should not be sanded, a diagram of this is in the manual. if you have, you might hae to replace the hook assembly.

Good luck

sue in australia

hi Cinnamon7

We need more info to be able to help you.

What do you mean - machine not sewing??

Sounds like you have power to your machine.

Try positioning the needle with the thumbwheel first - by hand very slowly. When you rotate it does it go down into the hook assembly and back up without hitting anything - you should have the bobbin case in when you do this. If it doesn't hit or scrape thats a good sign.

Next try positioning the needle with the command and yellow button. I have no idea what needle positioner lock out is - where did you hear that phrase? - now if the needle goes down and up thats a good thing.

Try not to worry about the lights that come on, they change as you position the needle and if you are running the motor. If all you have done is change the hook assembly and positioned your needle, they should be coming on OK.

Does the thread cutter work. if not position the needle again so its in the up position.

I'll be checking for a message from you every hour or so tonight so just let us know whats happening - or not happening.

sue in australia

I have power. I retimed the machine and i beleive it is working fine. I just can't sew with the machine. the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted the tension any and everyway i know how but no change. The "needle Position lock" refernce i got from loking up the meaning of the left and reight bank of lights on the machine in the book on page 187. Left bank #3. I just don't know what to do any more. Thread cutter works.:(

Hi Cinnamon, Linda L:)ang in Rosedale BC is a long arm supplier and her husband is quite knowledgeable about APQS machines. I am sure if you called him they could help you. They are located at 9245 Annis Rd. and the phone number is 604-794-5955.

Hope you are happily quilting soon,

Heather

Dear Cinnamon,

I'm sory to hear about all the trouble you've already been through. I've experienced already a lot of threadbreaks and very often when it breaks at the needle and looks pulled, the thread got stuck right at the spool/cone. For instance when using Aurifil, when the thread comes of the spool it often gets stuck at the bottom of the cone, it just flips under the cone and gets stuck. I discovered it after a lot of tension disk adjustments etc. Just a stupid thing I looked over, just a little tip.

Hang on,

Archived