Batting question

Hello all,

I have a customer who wants me to do a quilt with a woolen batting. It is a beautiful light but rather thick batting. The top is made of diamonds and she wants a diamond feather in each one and some leaves in the sashing and borders. No problem, I can make that, but I wonder what will happen to it when it is taken of the rollers. Will it be very puffy, too puffy? I have never before quilted with wool. Will it be lovely or is it maybe better to use a somewhat thinner batting like Hobbs polyester ?

Usually I like the puffy ones very much, but now I have my doubts, because I have no idea how it will turn out.

Has anyone of you experience with this?

Anne Que

Anne,

Wool is one of my favorites! It will give a beautiful definition to your quilting but if you want it less puffy quilt it down more and it isn't as puffy in those areas. I'm not sure if you saw the quilt I just posted but I used wool on that quilt. You can see that the feathers and the motif pop wonderfully. It is so easy to get nice tension too! Here is the link. http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18155

I like several, but Hobbs Tuscany Wool is my very favorite....now with that said.

Care for it is a bit different...it all depends on how much you really want it to shrink. I have washed in cool water and let dry flat and very little shrinkage, and I have washed in warmer water and partially dried in dryer and a little shrinkage, about 2-3%. NOW I have also washed in a bit warmer...not hot water and forgot it in the dryer and about 6% shrinkage. So there is a bit more care than a general poly batting or a cotton batting.

Originally posted by meg_marsh

Bonnie,

Is the Hobbs Tuscany Wool any different than the Heirloom Premium? What if you misted the batting & put in dryer - might take care of some of the shrinkage - but is it stable enough to go through this process. I have done this with the QD wool.

Hobbs 80/20 looks and feels very much like a Warm and Natural batting where the Tuscany Wool is an actual carded wool product....it doesn't have a much of a skrim on it but I think there is a bit there. I haven't used QD Wool...I don't have a source for QD products.

You can mist it (the tusancy wool), but I don't know if I would put it into the dryer...its very fluffy, and airy...doesn't pull apart very easy, but I don't know if I would put it into the dryer.

If you wash it in the washer you also take the chance of felting it...as its loose and feels like carded wool.

Also the shrinkage was due to my not washing my fabrics before hand...your quilt will only shrink to the point of most shrinkage. (i.e. if your fabrics are preshrunk you will only get a minimal shrinkage, if not they could shrink up to 8% and that is how far your WHOLE quilt will shrink. Hot dryer didn't help)

The package says:

Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting is made with the very best super washed wool, which eliminates most or all of the shrinkage. It is then carded and resin bonded to help retard bearding. Tuscany wool batting provides superb insulation and the fibre breathes. It can be quilted up to 4" apart and is washable. Hobbs recommend washing in tepid water by hand and laying out flat to dry. It hand quilts like a dream, and is wonderful for machine quilters as well.

The latest quilt down with Tuscany Wool

post--13461902511232_thumb.jpg

Hey, can I put in 2 cents here? First of all to Heidi: WOW! How did I miss that quilt the first time you posted it? Your quilting designs are just beautiful and I've marked the thread as a favorite so that I can re-visit it. Meg: the Tuscany wool is a bit different from the Heirloom Premium...the main advantage is how it is packaged...not squished in a package but folded so far fewer wrinkles to begin with. Bonnie: as usual, you really know your stuff! Anne: do you know if your customer's batt is Hobbs or Quilters Dream or Matilda's or??? In spite of what the Hobb's package says about washablilty, I've heard that there have been a few problems of late with the Hobbs washable wool batting...too much or too uneven shrinkage so, while I love it, I am only using it for wall quilts which will not be laundered. The wool from Quilters Dream is a bit heavier...I have no personal experience working with it or washing it but I know that lots of folks love it. The Matilda's Own and the new Pellon wool batting are both mixed with polyester fibers for the nice loft & hand but better results when washed. All the wools are wonderful to quilt. Please share a photo when it's done.

Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by meg_marsh

Hi again Bonnie,

I think you missed - the Hobbs Heirloom Premium Wool - not the 80/20. It says that you can quilt up to 3" apart - much closer than the QD - what about the Tuscany?

Thanks

I thought you were asking about the Heirloom Premium 80/20 sorry....I don't have a clue about the HP Wool, all I have ever used is the Tuscany. The Tuscany Wool you can quilt out to 4 Inches.

Archived