Coconut Cream Pie

I made a Bannana Cream Pie and a Coconut Cream Pie and the Coconut Cream Pie won. I thought I'd share the recipe.

1 c. sugar

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

3 cups milk

4 egg yolks,

3 TBS butter

1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 cup flaked coconut

1 9" pie shell baked

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. (I used a whisk for this). Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more, remove pan from heat.

2. In separate bowl, light beat egg yolks. Gradually stir in 1 cup of hot mixture into the yolks. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 additional minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in butter, vanilla and coconut into hot mixture. Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust. Cool. Cover and chill to store the pie.

I also added coolwhip to the top and then topped off with toasted coconut. I made 1 1/2 batches so that the pie was really full.

Well I have to be completely honest. I was a major grump this morning...just not my day I think. I haven't woke up like that in a long time. I didn't sleep well, the cat woke me in the middle of the night getting sick and I have company. Normally my company sleeps in but this morning they were up by 7:15 and woke me up just after I had finally actually fallen asleep. They are also very talkative and loud in the morning...I'm not! I was just plain grumpy. I knew my MIL was coming in the afternoon and she can be a little high maintanance too. We got to talking about Coconut cream pies last night so I just decided it sounded good and not so hard to make. I think I'm forgiven for being so grumpy!

If a hostess got up and made me a pie like that I'd certainly be forgiving!! I just got off work and am very tired, the store was crazy busy today!! I work at Cablea's as a cashier, I'm supposed to be retired but now I guess I'm in the "semi retired" working class. This job was supposed to be fun, no stress, and part time, it's turned into full time and way harder physically that I thought it would be.

My first occupation was in Civil Engineering Land - development. I designed subdivisions, roads, water, sewer systems, and processed new developments with County and City, I as well worked with some State and US Gov. Departments. It was very exacting work and always pressure loaded. It was fun most of the time but there came a time for me that I just didn't want all that trailing me home anymore. When we moved to Idaho from California about 15 years ago I still worked in California and flew back and forth as projects allowed. One time I was gone from home 8 months!! That's when I started piecing quilt tops, I could do that and not have to have much more than some cutting tools and a sewing machine.

Anyway I ramble, I'm glad your mood is better!!

LOL!! Men are universally the same!! For heaven's sake don't take the lady to lunch or buy her flowers, just wait for her to bake for you!! I have pretty much stopped baking as the waist line can't handle it much any more..and believe me it's really hard to not go for the baking isle when I'm at the store. Those skinny cow frozen ice creams just don't cut it like a nice fat piece of cheese cake or chocolate mud pie or or or .. Help! I'll be out of control soon!! I will remember that promise if I get to NY again!!!

LOL Shar one of the reasons I bring it to work is so that I don't have to keep it at home and then I'd eat it! Normally I don't bake more than muffins. I made zuchinni muffins yesterday too. Right now I have company so hopefully they will either eat it or take it with them. If not the boys at work will get some leftovers on Tuesday.

Have you tried those 6 week bran muffins? I used to make those but not sure if I have the recipe anymore. They were a little heavy on the sugar but were really good and you could just bake the number of them you wanted in the morning and the batter lasted for ever in the fridge!

I understand about taking the leftovers to work, guys at work places have cast iron stomachs!! They will eat anything!! I'm sure they appreciate your baking very much!!

Yes it did start with Bran ceral but I remember it being the whole bran or total bran, I could be remembering it wrong as that was at least 35 years ago. The one I had didn't call for pumpkin but it does sound good. I 'll have to search the dark corners of the storage and see if I can't find that again. I'm sure they were called six week bran muffins. There are probably a lot variations of the basic recipe. If I can't find my recipe I'd love to have a copy of yours. I'll share mine if I can find it. Thanks!!

I found it, but would still like to try yours!

Six Week Bran Muffins

Mix together and set aside:

2 Cup All Bran cereal

2 Cups Boiling Water

3 TBS Baking Soda

Cream together:

1 Cup Margarine

3 1/2 Cups Sugar

Add:

4 eggs

All Bran mixture

2 Cups raisins

1 Qt. Buttermilk

Stir well then add:

5 Cups stirred but not unsifted flour

4 Cups Branflakes

1 Cup chopped nuts

Batter is thin, refrigerate

Fill muffin tins 7/8's full

Bake at 400 degrees 18 to 20 minutes

Batter keeps 6 weeks use as needed. Seems like it makes thousands!!

Archived