Reducing my studio's electric bill

LadyLake

Mercedes, I am wondering what type of meter your electric company is using? It would be interesting to find out. I have the old style round glass covered ones that have the wheel that moves upon usage and a kilowatt counter. The electric company has my meter read once a month and they only write down the numbers on the counter. My bill only shows total kilowatts used for that month.

Hello Liam,

Not all companies offer this......... we call it Off peak electricity here in Australia. We used to have off peak hot water, in other words, electricity used at night time to heat the water. The electricity was at a cheaper rate and there were two meters that were read.

Our bills show the usage over the last year.. we get quarterly bills.. so we can compare how much we have just used and how we compare to the same time 12 months ago.

We have "lost" a few children and have Solar hot water now, but we have to run a water sewerage treatment plant pump full time (aeration), however, our bills are still cheaper than they used to be in the city. We have also changed all the light bulbs to fluro. And we cook and heat with natural gas. We do not have airconditioners, the house is designed for cross ventilation and is totally insulated. We would have liked to put in solar panels as well, but just didn't have the money. It is something we are considering, but in the moment, the electricity would have to be returned to the Grid (two meters for this, one for electricity used, one for electricity created). Geoff is a firm believer in small footprints (although he wears size 11 clod-hoppers) ;) To become self sufficient in electricity, we would have to store it in batteries, and the technology for these is still not good enough to be "sustainable".

One thing my husband really hates is when he comes home from work and he can see that I have left the printer on in the study or my sound system in my sewing room. Both rooms are at the front of the house and in the dark, with no street lights, they give a a wonderous glow!! :D (In my defence, I am normally using them!).

Regards,

Two years ago we installed solar panels and produce electricity that flows back into the grid. The power company installed a meter that can tell when the power is used and it's cheaper during the off-peak hours. Our biggest power user is/was the pump on the well. We have a 5000 gallon storage tank so we don't need to pump water all the time. We installed a timer on the pump so the large tank is only filled at night. That saved a bunch. Throughout the year there are times when we use more power than we make and other times when we make more than we use. The power company does a "true up" once a year and that's when we pay the difference if we've used more than we made all year. Unfortunately, they will not pay us if we've made more than we've used. That's why you don't want to get a solar system that is bigger than you need. Anyway, last year our power bill for the whole year was $168. This year it looks like it's going to be the other way around so we've been using the AC a little more.

Certainly you have to factor in the cost of the solar system. We figured it would be a 10 year ROI based on the price of electricity at the time. As the power company raises it's rate, our ROI gets shorter. The price of solar systems have come down and with government incentives and tax breaks, it's an affordable solution. And I feel good about reducing our carbon foot print. The controller thingy even tells me how much power we've made and how much carbon we've saved.

Some of the Amish that we work with have running water in their homes by having a large propane tank filled with air and this puts air in the well to keep the water flowing. They use a gas powered air compressor to fill the tank. We are consistently trying to think of ways to conserve energy and still have the conveniences of the modern world.

Hello Holly,

That sounds great, however, our Government has changed its policy and we don't qualify for any Rebates or Government assistance, so we would have to face the burden ourselves and our ROI would be too great to make it worth while. We looked into this as we loose power on a regular basis and Geoff was looking for something that would give us continuing power. (Being without water pumps or treated sewerage is not fun for more than a few hours, we are talking days!!) Luckily the power lines have been fixed and maintained and we have only had short blackouts for the last few years. Keeping my fingers crossed it will stay that way.

When we were first speaking with Architects and builders, we had one who refused to let us have Solar hot water, as the "Roofline would look ugly". That sure didn't go down well wih Geoff!! (I must admit, I love my verbose, closet treehugger but this left him speechless, which is quite a mean feat!):D

Regards,

Susanne,

Our solar panels are actually quite attractive. Most people don't even notice them.

We didn't a system that stores electricity for use during a power company outage. That would require expensive batteries and a place to store them. Ours simply sends power into the power grid. When there is an outage, we are without power too. :(

Yup!!! That sounds like us. We now have really bright camping lanterns and when the power goes out we play Yahtzie or Rummiecub, it is real family time. Gas allows us to still cook. And as far as aesthetics... no one notices our solar hot water either, because it is the same colour as the roof. We did not choose that architect if you hadn't guessed.;)

But we really do want the solar power. Eventually we'll get it!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 programable thermostats in the house, you can program the AC and heating to be just right for the times you will be in the zones, and save a lot of money during the times you aren't there.They overide easily when you need to . They change a little between winter and summer, but they save a lot of energy expense, especially in the south.

Our biggest expense turns out it the amount of hot water it takes to keep 4 teenagers and their clothes clean:D When they had all gone on to college our energy use went down by half:P:P

• 11 months later...

Perhaps your energy use had more to do with the son than washing clothes. I'll be if he was changing clothes, he was also bathing, huh? When my grandson lived with me, the amount of time he spent in the shower- standing there- not washing was mind blowing. Those long showers added up!

Mereceds is absolutely right. i have all of my equipment - not just the machines but the lights and iron and all of it - plugged into multi socket power strips. when i leave my studio - i pull 3 plugs and everything is out. it is really amazing how much electricity these thigns draw even when not in use. give this a try - i think you'll be pleased. ;)

Originally posted by Mercedes

I actually did a little experiment over summer and unplugged anything I wasn't using on a daily basis like mixer, treadmill, fans, sewing machines, etc. I also started unplugging things like my computer, washer, dryer, etc and plugged then in only when being used. I charge things only until they are charged and no longer and use my dishwasher and washing machine on off hours - I can set mine to start in the middle of the night or early in the morning. I don't let my dryer run longer then needed - I find my clothes are totally dry before the buzzer goes off in my dryer to I take them out.

I saved a wapping 30+% of my power bill just by doing this! I was totally amazed. Many items pull power just by being plugged in, even if they aren't being used. Is this a little inconvenient - sure, but it becomes habit and it doesn't take but a second to plug and unplug something.

My power company was sending out monthly home energy reports which showed how you were doing - these reports were not in the power bill but a separate report. This helped me keep on track. I was really happy with the results. Try it, I think you'll be surprised as the results....Mercedes

Has anyone tried the large barnyard type windmills, and battery storage? We live amongst so many very tall trees in our yard and both neighbors, solar panels would do no good.. This summer has been a killer with so many hot hot days.... in the winter we save by burning wood for heat, which causes me breathing problems, as it Always burps a good puff of smoke when we open the door to stoke the fire. Win some and lose some I guess.

the energy efficient lights and flourescent lights always give me headaches, so I have to stay away from them, they also affect anyone who has siezures from the invisible flickering, kicking off a siezure. Be aware of that nasty little part.

WOW That is a big increase just for quilting. I am guessing is not that.

Everything that has a light , clocks, etc draws electricity when not in use. I am bad about not unplugging everything. I know it would save me $$$. I do turn off my printer, and coffee pot, and when I am not in my quilting room I unplug everything. If for no other reason thunderstorms.

• 1 month later...

We live in the Palm Springs area. HOT! Our electric bill from April thru Oct. runs from $250 - $500. Drops to around $100-$150 in cooler weather. Large energy efficient fridge, swimming pool (pump/filter running), energy efficient washer/dryer. DH leaves power cords plugged in all the time and it drives me crazy.

Two years ago we installed two of those solar tubes...they are great. One is over the couch in the great room - we can read during the day without turning on lights. The other is centered between my Millie and my cutting table. On sunny days it provides alot of extra light. We love them. Our great room and our large quilting/art studio do not have much natural lighting/windows, as the summer sun beats down on everything.

Marilyn

I tried those energy saver bulbs in my living room and they are soo dull I can't even read with them on much less quilt! I currently have daylight florescents in my quilting space because they came with the house when I bought it last yea,r they are an issue because of being a migraine trigger for me so I have to add other lighting to help prevent headaches. I am starting to re-do my quilting basement next month YEA!!!

Wondering what kind of energy saver bulbs actually produce light and if the LED track lights might be an option. Has anyone tried those?

Archived