Correct place for the quilt label

yankiequilter

When I put a label on a quilt it usually is on the lower right side, when looking at the quilt from the front. (When looking at the back it is lower left.) I would like to know if it makes any difference which corner the label is on. I am finishing a couple of quilts to put in my guild's quilt show next month and I want to get the label in the correct corner. I'm looking forward to comments from the judge, but don't want one of them to be, "label in wrong corner." :P

I don't think there is any wrong place for a label. The judges don't judge the label and it's supposed to be covered up so they can't read it. I was working as a scribe in the judging room at MQS in 2008 and never heard a comment about a label on any of the 300+ quilts that were in that room.

At Innovations they want you to put a label on the center of the sleeve with specific information. This label is supposed to contain owner's name, address, phone number. I don't consider this "label" as the "my label" because my label is more personal and it was in one of the lower corners. I don't remember which corner I stuck it in. Probably the lower left...or was it the right corner?? :P

Hi Carmen,

Here are the label placement guidelines for the Minnesota Quilters State Show:

"Each quilt must have a 4’ wide (finished) sleeve securely attached to the top back of the quilt and an identifying

label attached to the bottom right corner of the back of the quilt."

http://www.mnquilt.org/mq2009/JudgedRules.pdf

I would check with the Show Coordinator of the show you are entering, because the guidelines might vary.

Originally posted by LadyLake

Hi Carmen,

Here are the label placement guidelines for the Minnesota Quilters State Show:

"Each quilt must have a 4’ wide (finished) sleeve securely attached to the top back of the quilt and an identifying

label attached to the bottom right corner of the back of the quilt."

http://www.mnquilt.org/mq2009/JudgedRules.pdf

I would check with the Show Coordinator of the show you are entering, because the guidelines might vary.

Gee didn't know it was a rule...its always been the corner in which I put my label...its just the one that seemed the most logical.;)

• 2 years later...

One AQS judge told us in a class that there aren't any hard-and-fast rules. Then a show asked for a label added to the hanging sleeve and any other label covered with a temporary applique. Huh? I guess it could save some time prepping the quilts for judging, but really? Another label? I guess if your show is special and exclusive enough, you can get the entrants to do anything to enter.

Caution--sarcasm ahead!!

Imaginary Hoity-toity Quilt Show of the World entry rules---any deviation from the rules will result in refusal of your entry.

1. All entries must be folded into thirds, except the long side, which must be folded into fourths and then shipped in a box exactly the right size to contain the folded quilt.

2. Only approved packing materials accepted. No styrofoam peanuts, tissue paper, or plastic pillows full of air accepted. Only lovingly shredded, prewashed selvedge strips can be used as packing material.

3. All labels must be covered with a fabric applique. Identification of the quilt will be accomplished by a code word like "chopped points" or "twisted seams" or "what was she thinking" which will be issued to you electronically after we view your quilt. These codes are randomly chosen and in no way reflect upon your quilting skills. *disclaimer*

4. All judging comments will be carefully worded so as not to hurt your feelings (except for that one comment that you don't understand about the color choices which you will agonize over and stew about for years to come).

5. We reserve the right to use the images we may take of your quilt to market magazine articles, calendars, web sites, etc. but you will be so flattered that you will gladly go along with it.

Just having fun here so I don't have to go face the last quilt before Christmas which is beckoning to me!

Archived