I really need help with the quality of stitches

mountainquilter

I bought a Lenni in May and have only been able to stitch 2 donation quilts that the stitches looked nice. I have waited 2 days for Dawn to call me back. They have had me put a piece of batting in the first thread guide which eliminated the thread laying like a pulled thread every so often. I am so disgusted with my Lenni, I wish I had never gotten it. I have never had a pretty stitch from it. HELP someone please. I have loosened the tension so much on the little wheel as APQS said but it breaks the top thread. I guess I should have bought the same brand of machine my quilter has. I never ever thought I would have the trouble I have with stitches.

Mountainquilter

Diana

Before I talked to APQS , the threads on the top looked jerky and about every 8th stitch it looked like someone pulled the thread up and it was very loose. Maybe I am expecting too much. My quilter who used to do my quilts has a Gammill. I just want a pretty stitch. I don't think that is asking too much of a $ 10,000. machine. Guess I should have kept paying to have them done.

Diana

Diana,

Please hang in there. Wait for someone from APQS to help before you throw in the towel. I have a Liberty which is basically the same as a Lenni with a different table. My stitch quality is beautiful. Each type of thread I use needs some adjustment to the tension. My stitch regulator makes perfect stitches. I don't think I have every gotten an extra stitch or a long stitch where I didn't want it. I hope APQS can get you on the right track. Let Shana help you out. Everyone on this forum is so very helpful and generous with their time. Hang in there. It will all come together.

Carol

Is this the week that Innovations is held?

Dawn most likely is busy with that and that's the reason she hasn't returned your calls. She's out of town.

Let someone else help you! Shana will give you help over the phone and will get your problem fixed.

Tension is just a matter of getting the settings right......

Diana,

Please talk to Shana and let her help you get started, first the bobbin will need to be adjusted and then don't be afraid to really tighten or loosen the tension, remember that it can always be put back. The bobbin should be loose enough to drop quickly like a spider on a web when you hold it by the thread and let it drop. Then put in a scrap of fabric and just play with the top tension until it looks good. Don't be afraid to go a half turn at a time until it makes a change. I was so afraid to make any major changes until I saw that it really did improve the stitches. Mark where your present tension is with a marker or piece of tape ( that will help you feel that you can always put it back where it is although once you get it sewing a nice stitch you won't go back) and don't be afraid to really crank it tighter or looser. Also, look at the APQS site under education and read Dawn's information about adjusting tension, it really helped me. Once you get your machine to make a nice stitch you will love it, it is just about getting comfortable with making those adjustments. Let us know how it goes...

It took me awhile to get comfortable making adjustments to the tension, both on the top and on the bobbin. For years we've had it drilled into our heads that we should not mess with the tension on our DSMs, especially the bobbin.

I can't tell you what "trick" did it for me but one day I realized that my stitches were beautiful and my tension was perfect. Up until then it was frustrating so I understand how you are feeling.

Try different thread combinations. Each machine is different just as each quilter is different. For example, I find that Bottom Line in the bobbin and So Fine or Bottom Line on the top are the easiest. After I got that figured out and became comfortable with it, I started expanding my thread choices. For me, the heavier threads like King Tut are more of a challenge but I'm able to get them to work after a little more tweaking.

I'm sure your quilter with the Gammill went through a learning/breaking-in phase as well. You will get it, just don't give up.

Diana,

I was teaching classes Monday-Wednesday and did not receive any phone messages or email from you--could you send me a U2U or an email with your phone number and I'll call you right away?

I will be out of the office for the rest of today so you will not be able to reach me through the toll free APQS number, but I will call you when I get your number.

Thanks!

Dawn I spoke with Diana and got her started with threading the top of her machine .... She is cleaning her bobbin area and getting ready for the next step... which is the bobbin adjustment but I had to leave for work.

Please, if you get a chance, if you want to give her a call, I have her number. I will send you a U2U with Diana's number.

I am at work today and busy so I can't break away.... for more time with Diana so thanks a lot!

You girls are all fantastic and Diana hang in there! The Lenni is a great machine and will give you beautiful stitches. No doubt with Dawn and Shana on the job you are in good hands. If there is anything I can help with please ask. We are so blessed to have this forum and there is always somebody willing to help you out! Don't ever wait to ask for help! There is a learning curve but I promise you will get beautiful stitches!

Diana,

I'm so sorry that you are feeling frustrated. I know that you are in excellent hands between Shana and Dawn, so I'm not going to attempt to muddy the waters by jumping in too.

Just let me add that Holly is absolutely correct about feeling comfortable changing your tension. The quilt police will not come and slap your hand for adjusting either your top or bobbin tension. This is something that HAS to be done. FYI, I was quilting a quilt with So Fine in top and bobbin. My customer wanted a second color for the border, so the only thing I changed was the color of the So Fine in the top, and still had to adjust my tension then.

If by some weirdness in the universe Shana and Dawn aren't able to help you out, and I sincerely doubt that! Please contact any of the reps, and feel free to start with me. I don't know where you live, but there's got to be someone close enough to come and help out.

We've all been in your shoes when we first got our machines, and I often had to walk away from my "girl" because we weren't speaking nicely to one another. There have been many, many posts about people wanting to throw their machines out of the window, but I don't believe anyone has actually resorted to that. I hope that you won't be the first. Hang in there! We can do this!

I spoke with Shana and Dawn. I am going to try putting my thread in freezer and try a practice piece tomorrow. Right now I need to go walk in the forest and clear my head. Our leaves are turning and dropping fast and I need to enjoy the color while I can. I want to thank everyone for all your help, I'll let everyone know Monday how my practice piece came out.

mountainquilter

Diana

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for everyone jumping in to the rescue for Diana! Apparently the message for me to call her slipped through the cracks at the factory and I wasn't aware that she needed help.

We have spoken and we worked for some time to get things adjusted. Diana's "high country" arid climate is not helping her cotton thread to stay hydrated. Some of the possible problems and solutions will be good topics for the next QuiltTalk article on the home page!

Diana is going to work this weekend with her machine, and I made her promise to call me if she continues to have difficulty. In the meantime, thanks for all your moral support--you're awesome!

Incidentally, if you EVER need to reach me (especially if you've left phone messages) but don't get a response, be sure to send an email, too. I am only physically "in the office" a few days a week, so sometimes it can be 4-5 days (including a weekend) before I get your phone message. However, I check emails several times a day. I can call you back!

We're here for you--I just have to know you need me:)

Diana, I promise you, when you get this down you will love your machine. Keep thinking, it is not the machine, it is not the machine. I agree with Shana, there is a learning curve. Luckily, I haven't experienced the problems you have but I have been sewing on a DSM since age 8. The tension issues are similar so I avoided the "terrible tension" cycle. All of us have something to learn. My tension was really good but I took a class from Patty Butcher and now they are even better. Dawn or Shana or some of us can walk you through this. Please don't give up. You have a sweet machine with sweet stitches. I know you are frustrated but keep trying and you will be so proud! I promise. If you will U2U me (I do have a Lenni) I will also try and help! :) Oh, also, if you live in a really wet or really dry climate, try Poly thread.

Hi Diana, I tried calling you again several times today to see how things were going for you but got the busy signal each time, so I figured you were on the phone.

I am glad things are on the up swing and that you got to chat with Dawn. Isn't she awesome? We all are very lucky to have her on our team. APQS support is second to none. Really.

Hey, I know you've got Signature thread (which I love Signature and have used it A LOT) but consider getting a fiew spools of polyester and poly blends. For example, So Fine and Bottom Line. These poly blends work so nicely in the bobbin and because they are not cotton, the fuzz will be little to none. Cotton thread is very fuzzy. Cotton is beautiful looking on a quilt but it is high maintenance because of the fuzz it leaves in the bobbin and on your needle. When I use Signature or Valdani (which I love) I am often blowing out the bobbin area, bobbin case and the needle bar. That's OK. Just one little step. I love cotton.

With the poly blends in the bobbin, your tension problems might go away (or at least alleviate some of the problems) if you try poly in your bobbin. Me? I have all sorts of thread in my stash from metallics, monofilament, 100 cottons, cotton blends and poly. I am equal opportunity thread quilter upper. I like to play with all sorts. Each type and weight requires a little bit of tweaking but I always have success with my stitches. Your machine will accept any thread. Just be patient and don't be afraid to tweak or experiment. :)

Hang in there and enjoy the nice fall weather. This is my favorite time of year.

(((hugs)))

We're all here for eachother. I know some day down the road, you are going to be helping a newbie here on the chat and you will know exactly how to help. Cuz just like me, we've been there; done that.

Shana

Sheryl,

I am located close to Twin Lakes, Colorado. We are about 40 miles from Aspen which is over Independence Pass ( only open in summer ). About 40 miles from Vail, and I am about 100 miles from Denver & Colorado Springs. So, it is kind of remote here and if I want to go to the big city it is about a 2 hr. drive. Well gang, it is 6:15 a.m. and I have been up since 5 a.m. I guess I better start practicing on Lenni. I am a early riser and it would be nice if my brain would let me sleep longer. Winter is just around the corner so should get a lot of sewing done then. I do mean right around the corner. It rained yesterday about 6p.m. and the high peaks are white with snow and hail. Won't be long and it will be down here. I can see the 2 highest peaks in Colorado from my home and they keep me from doing more sewing as I have to keep going outside and enjoying the peaks and nice weather.

Shana,

My line was busy talking to Dawn, thank you all for the help. You guys rock!

Diana

Diana,

This is a great group. I have enjoyed watching how they've been concerned about you and your stitching problem and how they have jumped in to help a fellow long-armer in distress.

I think I would also have a hard time concentrating on my sewing, or anything for that matter, with a view like you have. I have visited Monument CO and found myself gazing at the mountains all the time. So beautiful!!!

Have a good day.

Jessica

Diana, I am a relatively new Millie owner, and I too had many tension issues when I first got my machine. Some of this group will remember my many posts asking questions and venting frustrations. I probably spent the first two to three months perfecting tension. I love the heavier threads like King Tut, Signature, and Valdani on top and now use a slick polyester on the bottom which is something I never thought I would do. My advice - listen to the advice coming from Dawn, Shana, and the others - and follow it. It really works! :)

Archived