"A Sitka Starry Night"

Here is a king sized quilt I just finished - Lonnie, one of my dear friends, fellow guild member and customer too, her daughter Brooke is getting married in Sitka, Alaska next weekend. This is their wedding gift. Lonnie got inspiration from Van Gogh's Starry Night, so she named it "A Sitka Starry Night"

It's made all with batik on top and bottom. I kept my bobbin tension "loosey goosey" and had no issues with my bobbin tension! Looks great! I used the "Spash" pantograph design and Rainbows thread that had variegated green, blue, and yellow. Bobbin thread was lime green Bottom Line. She'll pick it up and get started tomorrow to put the binding on. No tiime to waste!

Here are a few pics

post--1346190261284_thumb.jpg

OMG! I, too, love impressionist style paintings. There was a fascinating program on PBS I watched a few years ago on the impressionist painters in Europe and the struggles they went through with their "new cutting edge" technique which was not accepted nor welcomed in the traditional, general population at the time. If these guys only knew that 100 years later the millions that their paintings are selling for... who woulda thunk it. These paintings really did change the world with how "art" is accepted nowadays.

Shana, beautiful quilting, and a lovely quilt for your friend's daughter!

You used Rainbow thread - a short time back someone mentioned they couldn't use Rainbow on batik so I'm wondering if you had any problems with it. Also, did the quilt have a batik back? And what kind of batting did you use? I'm asking because I have a batik quilt to do and am planning on using batik on the back, also. I was going to use Rainbow thread until it was mentioned there were breakage problems on the batiks. Thanks!

Originally posted by yankiequilter

You used Rainbow thread - a short time back someone mentioned they couldn't use Rainbow on batik so I'm wondering if you had any problems with it.

No problems. In fact I often (most times) use Rainbows on batik because Rainbows looks so GORGEOUS with it!!

Originally posted by yankiequilter

Also, did the quilt have a batik back? What kind of batting did you use?

Yes. Many of my Batik top quilts have batik back. I usually don't have problems with tension. On a quilt before I had a 4.0 needle and had some bottomtension issues. On this quilt I changed to a 3.5 needle and this really helps!! Plus I think I also loosened my bobbin tension a wee bit more than I usually do and I think this helped too.

On this one it had Warm and Natural 100% Cotton Batting but most times I have Hobbs. But I also love WOOL batting with batik. OOOH I love wool.

Rainbows thread and batik top and bottom... Go for it!!!

Great quilt, great picture, great gift. I have to make a wedding quilt for my son and his quilting wife (I think I had something to do with that. Her first quilt was out of my stash. I just love this women) I'm thinking a whole cloth my way. I just need to find the time to get started. Pictures will follow but don't count on that any time soon.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

On this one it had Warm and Natural 100% Cotton Batting but most times I have Hobbs. But I also love WOOL batting with batik. OOOH I love wool.

Rainbows thread and batik top and bottom... Go for it!!!

Thanks, Shana, I will try the Rainbows. I've had tension issues with Warm and White so I think I'll use the Hobbs 80/20. It is a quilt that I want to put in our guild's show the end of October so I don't want to take time to fiddle with tension, but I'll try the combination another time.

That's a goose-bumps quilt, Shana. The thought that went into the color selections and the care taken with the placement of the colors really makes the quilt match it's namesake. It is a "love quilt" all around and your final touch with the quilting makes it a stand-out. I love the stories behind the quilts. Tell your friend she has fans from far away and we think she has a great quilter!

Linda B: Good to see you here again. I haven't seen you around lately and (really) I miss you and have often thought about you. :) Whatcha been up to lately??

Linda R: Aww! Yes, Lonnie is really a lovely beautiful lady and has a solid heart of gold. She puts so much thought into her quilts; and anything else for that matter. She is an anmazing hand quilter and does a lot of artsy things. Everything she touches is lovely. I think if you met her you would instantly love her. She's a magnet that draws people in. I will tell Lonnie that you all love her quilt. You are such a sweeeee-eeetie!!

Wow! A beautiful quilt and your quilting makes it even more perfect!

Your friend is an artist herself! I love the transfer (or transformation, don't know the right word) from the van-Gogh-picture to the quilt design. She has taken important aspects as color, the proportions of colors and forms and dynamic of the swirls very well into her quiltpattern and her fabric choice! Really admirable!

Archived