Quilting Studio AND Sewing Room

gable428

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

My kitchen isn't safe either. My husband says that I have a horizontal sufrace condition...if it is flat...I am going to fill it up with something...probably quilt related!! :P

YEAH....I found another sister....I have every flat surface from upstairs to the basement that is either covered in my quilting or something....ironing boards on both floors with irons...would hate to have to run up or down to press...2 machines set upstairs and 3 downstairs....and plan on at setting up stations each with a different sewing setting.... i.e. surger, ruffler, single stitch and then the Bernina, and one Janome...plus the LA and embroidery machine.

Kristina...I knew I liked you....;)

I started out piecing in my sewing room, then when we packed the long arm in there, my sewing area got squished. We just moved and now I have a separate sewing room from the long arm room -- it is a luxury, I know, but that is all I do is quilt. I'm looking forward to doing more piecing again and being able to see all of my fabric out on the shelves.

Well Heidi, I am glad that we only have two floors then!!!:D

When we built the house, I insisted on a sewing room. Geoff has always had a study, the children always had their space and I was always in trouble because my sewing was an "inconvenience". So I have a 3.45m x 3.95m (11'x 11.5') sewing room upstairs.

When we bought the Millie, I moved Martin out of the 5.35m x 4.1m(17.4' x 13.5') room downstairs. He went into his brother's room, since Andrew had moved out. Once Martin moved out, I utilise that room for "flowover". I also have fabric sitting the back of my reading chair in the family room and quilting business stuff on a chair next to the kitchen table, where my laptop is. There are boxes in the garage and there is stash in the front entrance cupboard and the spare bedroom cupboard. But no, I do not see my sewing as an inconvenience, afterall, I know where my stuff is!!

We have a 4.1m x 5.3m rumpus room, which will eventually house an area for me to receive clients in. We have a garage which is 11m x 5.3m (36.2'x 17.4') and I keep threatening to take that over for the business and reocate everything in it. Geoff said he would rather build me a studio!!........... now that must have been in a moment of weakness!!!:D;)

I actually like that my sewing/piecing area is in a different area of the house to my longarm. I get easily sidetracked in my old age!!;):D

Bonnie: I may be the worst one on this thread for spreading out!! I originally had a small bedroom, needed first the hall closet, then the eating area table and chairs (after all the kids had left and we eat at the breakfast bar:)) then decided to go upstairs to additional bedroom that was convienently vacant , needed more room because oldest daughter moved in with her family while her house was being built, so put some (:o) stuff along the long wall of the master bedroom. Decided to take a machine and serger to NC condo while watching grandbaby for 4 mo!!, finally took over half the finished basement for Milli. NOW, I'm in the mother of all reorganizing projects, trying to put the house back in order, daughter and family in their own house for 6 months, and I'm still not done...

The original plan of course was to down-size when the kids left, and build that 30 x40 studio to hold everything in one place, but with the economy, my house value, and the poor retirement account, everything is adjusting to reality, SIGH, AGAIN....

I can say I do get plenty exercise, carrying boxes,heavy fabric and books, up and down three levels:P:P:P Still love all my spaces, Pat

In my sewing room/studio I have two sewing/embroidery machines as well as my computer with the desks in a "U" shape, and my Millie is also in the room. There are two closets, three bookshelves full of books and "stuff" and two filing cabinets where I keep our personal papers and records. I utilize the kitchen island, which is 50" x 63", for all of the cutting, and of course I have to use one of the other counters in the kitchen for rulers, rotary cutters, scissors, tape measure, and whatever else I need to get the job done.

Some weeks the island is occupied by quilting things every day and I just push everything aside to clear a spot long enough for us to sit and eat. I use one closet in the guest room for batting and the guest bed is sometimes used for quilt block layouts if the quilt is too large for the design wall, which is nothing more than a flannel backed tablecloth hung on two quilt hangers.

Several years ago I made an embroidered quilt for our daughter. The blocks were on point, with a large center block which required corner triangle blocks to square the on point large block. I didn't use a pattern and made the blocks whateer size seemed right. I had all the blocks laid out in the living room on the floor for a month, trying to figure out how big to cut those corner triangles. I was afraid I would ruin the embroidered pieces that I was using for the triangles. I know it's just a math thing, but I didn't know how to figure it out! :P Good thing we didn't use the living room!

I have quilt books and magazines piled on a chair in the living room and fabric catalogs in the bathrooms. I guess I'll consume whatever available space in the house I need to get the job done! ;) I do like having my machines, computer and Millie in one room. I tell DH he always knows where to find me. :D

Originally posted by ckeindl

Hi Gable!

I DO have 2 whole rooms for myself in the basement! I am really lucky - my quilting frame was in the (unused) front room until my DH finished another long room downstairs. It is my own place! What do you have?

Ditto, Cathy. I am in my unfinished basement. Long arm on one side, everything else on the other. My little piece of heaven or my happy place.

I technically have 2 rooms. My quilting and sewing stuff is all together in my studio and then I have my "office" in the smallest bedroom. I never go into my "office", it is actually used more as storage then anything else.

We are currently looking for a new house. There are just me, DH and our 2 dogs. We are looking for a house with a walk out basement for the longarm and my stuff. I saw one yesterday that I really liked. The basement rocked. 2000 square feet of unfinished basement. That is about the size of my current house. Somehow I doubt DH will agree to that house. But a girl can dream. :) Too bad is farther out then we live now. We really want to move closer to where DH works and the store where I do pick up/drop off.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

My kitchen isn't safe either. My husband says that I have a horizontal sufrace condition...if it is flat...I am going to fill it up with something...probably quilt related!! :P

YEAH....I found another sister....

Kristina...I knew I liked you....;)

What's not to like?? :P

I knew that I liked you too Bonnie. You are so like me!!:P:P

Cathy, right now I have a room that is the size of a single car garage with all my stuff. I am quickly running out of room. We have a little sitting room which we don't use and I am going to turn that into my sewing/piecing room and keep the current room as my quilting studio with my longarm in it. I definitely need the space:)

Gable...in all seriousness. If I could...I would probably prefer to have my sewing room separate from the longarm room. Both require lots of space and different tools. Sounds like you are making the best with what you have at the moment. That is all that most of us can do. I would sacrifice alot of things...but not my quilting. :)

Oh Gable, what a fun thread! I love to hear about different studios and what people do with their spaces.

I am actually in the midst, and I mean in the midst, of moving out of a 10x10' spare bedroom to the basement, which we have totally gutted and redone. I would actually be setting up Milli this weekend, but my daughter and I are off to a quilt show in Fargo, ND.

My new space is about 950 square feet and is L shaped, so Milli will be in the long portion of the L and my sewing, cutting, storage area will be in the short portion of the L. I have a separate desk to hold my computer and such, two tables for my DSMs and my sergers, five bookcases and an antique wardrobe for fabrics, a cutting table that is set up similar to the island in my kitchen (where I normally cut fabrics -- you know, amongst the bread and supper fixings! LOL!) I hope to officially be stitching in my new space next week. I am sooo excited, but I just can't miss the quilt show!! LOL!

I'm going to post some photos next week.............:)

When we moved 7 years ago, my sewing room started out in the enclosed front porch, then to DD's room after DS got married and DD moved downstairs. Then when DD moved out, I moved the sewing room to the downstairs bedroom and the small family room down there became my quilting studio. They aren't large areas, but they are all MINE. Since this is in a basement, DH has said we could figure out a way to put a small bathroom down there but I told him no. I do need to come up for air once in a while. LOL DS did leave a small fridge, so I do keep my cold drinks down there. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm seiwng or quilting, I need to drink more liquids, my throat gets more dry when I play with fabrics. Kind of like my hands. Happy Quilting!!

Thank goodness my longarm is on casters because when I am not using it, I can roll it towards the back of the wall to give me space when I am sewing. The nice thing about the sitting room I was telling you all about is that it has french doors on it and I can always put curtains or whatever those things are on the window portion so when the door is shut, you can't see in or out. I think it would be a perfect sewing room. It's been great reading all your posts. Seems like no matter what, we quilters can make good use of any space.

After reading all of your posts I think I am getting jipped out of space at my house>:o:o We have a 3 bedroom house with a FROG, which is my studio. If you dont' know what a FROG is, I didn't till I moved down south.

It is Finished Room Over Garage, It would be fine if it had been a double garage, but it is only a singe and the stairway takes up a good portion of it, otherwise it would be about 14 x 16'. It used to be our sons room and now that we are empty nesters once again, I use it for my quilt studio. By husband has the family room which is actually what was the garage. When we bought the house it had already been converted, we just added a bay window where the garage door was for more light. It is about 14 x 20. Five years ago we built a 20 x 25 addition as a game room. all open area. Pool table, hot tub, second dining room table flat screen onthe wall, windows around three sides, I know sounds like the perfect studio doesnt it. Don't know why I ever let him talk me into putting that big pool table in there. The only thing I see it being good for is to lay out quilts. Boy he doesnt like that when I leave threads all over the table either. One day that pool table is going to come up missing and I am going to have a great place for my studio. until then I guess I will be stuck upstairs in my cramped space. My Lenni takes up most of the room but I still have my koala table with two machines on it, my cutting table, computer and most of my stash in plastic containers under the Lenni. The only good thing about having my studio upstairs is I can leave all the mess I want and no one sees or bothers it. Grandkids sneak up there sometimes and I am always worried they will get cut or hurt with all the tools, etc. I have small grandkids that wouldnt know any better. So maybe once they are more grown up , will not worry so much about using other parts of our living space. You usually dont find too much quilting stuff anywhere else in the

house except for magazines. Once in a while I do drag a machine down and work on a quilt in the game room. FROG doesn't have heat in the winter so it does get cold up there occasionally if the door gets left shut.

I just dont like having to pick it all up and move it when we get invaded with kids and need to use the table to eat, which is usually about every weekend, so I dont do it too often.

Well, where do I begin. When we moved into our house I had our master closet area converted into a sewing /craft room since it was VERY BIG. It already had a window in it (cosmetic look for the front of the house), an air conditioner vent, and two electric outlets. About a 8 X 6 foot space. I soon out grew that and moved into the guest bedroom. And have outgrown that. I have to say though, that I don't like being in a sewing room, isolated away from the rest of the family. I moved my sewing maching and all the essential tools down stairs to the family room/kitchen table where the action is. No one ever complains about the machine making noise. (And to be honest, they probably know better than to complain about my sewing machine.) I have converted our master bathroom into a fabric storage room and have put panel insulation up at the window to prevent the light from fading the edges. We never used that bathroom anyway since the main bath was actually located closer to our bedroom. (And one less bathroom I have to clean.)

When we purchased our long arm, we moved the dining room table into the living room and that's now my long arm room until we figure out a permanent home for her. My husband wants to convert the garage into a room for her but I want to convert the back screened porch into her new home. We haven't decided which conversion will cost the least. I have one daughter who is getting married in November and will be moving out. My other daughter has teased her that I have already measured her room and put chalk marks on the floor to show where I am going to put my sewing stuff. My other daughter has a contract on a condo and will also be moving out. I haven't decided which of their room's I will be taking for a sewing studio yet, but I can guarantee you I will be taking over their rooms also.

So, to sum it up, I pretty much taken over the whole house.

Archived