My First Wholecloth

Kay Anderson

I did mark it with a very light blue chalk before putting it on the machine. I had sized all of the motifs in AutoCad first, then printed them out. I used my stencil tech. to make the stencils. The 10 days included marking the quilt and stitching all the motifs and the backgrounds. No, I didn't get to quilt all day on any of those days, averaged 4 hours per day. I have never done that much background on a quilt in my life. I'll tell you the pebbles were the hardest, made my eyes so tired. Mostly though it was fun, I finally relaxed and just let myself play and fill in the spaces I made in the background. The poof is from useing a high loft batting. I do want to do trapunto and this was a warm up to see if I could follow such a complicated design or get tired of it before I finished. I think my trapunto will be a little simpler. What do you ladies think of adding some color to it? Or would you just leave it alone? I realy do want your opinion.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you!! I'm not going to color it. My DH says "NO WAY". And he wants me to put it in a show too. I wanted to sell it, to make money for my son, I didn't start out to do a show quilt. Maybe it will attract a buyer after it's in a show or two. I hope so, my son needs a little financial breathing room. I'll put that decision in God's hands, finish it up and go from there. I do like it, it's the best thing I've ever done. I can allways sell it later and give the money to James.

I love all you gals, thanks for your wonderful comments. It is so good to have this forum to share our love of quilting. And all the wonderful personal things we share too. Aren't quilters a great bunch of people!

Originally posted by Kay Anderson

It's big, I've never had a quilt in any show. Is King size too big to show?

Each show has it limits...just read the rules and you will know if its to big or not. MQX, MQS, Innovations they have a set size...I saw some big ones there, but without measuring not sure if they were actually this huge or not. As this is more of a spread than a quilt, although once washed it may shrink up a bit more than you are expecting...and finished block size is your measurement to go by....

It is gorgeous...and there is sell this one and then make another one for show in the size required.

Shows do normally have a maximum size, but the couple that I have looked at I could enter the king sized quilt on my bed into. So it really depends on how big it actually is...

I'm glad that you decided not to use color for the binding . Your quilt is beautiful!

If you decide to raffle off or sell this one you should definately make another one for yourself. Or for you DH since he seems very attached to it. Got to love DHs that are so loving and supportive of what we do!

I'd put it in as many shows as possible, take pics of it and save any atgs or ribbons you get from any of the shows to prove it was there, and then auction it on ebay (maybe), as an award winning quilt, having appeared in XYZ shows, with the provnance from the shows, and with a high reserve. Enough to make a dent in those medical bills! A collector will snatch it up!

Very good advice from all of you. I'll see how big it is after it's washed and all the finish work is done. We do love it. My son is only 28 years old. He has MS, and he has a wife and four little children to support. He is such a fine young man, and we are so very proud of him. It is my aim to do what I can to help him. It is so expensive to treat MS and he was stretched to the limit before he got sick. It is important to get as much for the quilt as I can. My DH said he would not want to see it go for to little money, we want to make a difference for him. We would just give him money, but DH lost his job, lay off, a few weeks ago and we don't know yet what's going to happen on that front. Oh well, God will provide. Love all the support form all of you on the forum, it's great to have friends.

I'll just add my 2 cents---I would not color it unless you know what you're doing. I tried the coloring process and it looks like a kindergarten coloring book. If you could swing having Irena Bluhm color it for you, then it might turn out ok. IMHO leave it white. They are stunning! My prayers are with you and your son and his family.

WOW Kay, that is stunning! I echo the voices saying do not color it--only because your design and execution is so wonderful anything more would be distracting! I love your quilting layout--maybe you could make some extra money for your son by offering the design for sale.

Okay you computer geniuses--could Kay load this original design on a CD with the sections done individually to be printed on regular-size paper. Then the purchaser could tape them together and transfer the design to the fabric? That way one could re-size the design if they wanted a smaller size. King is too big for me, but I could do maybe 80 X 80. And I love that design!!

Hi Linda,

The motifs are by Karen McTavish, the arrangement is by me. I did the layout in AutoCad, (I was and engineering tech in my working days). I can resize this design very easily and yes I could print it for you at the desired size. I don't know here, do we need to get permission from Karen? I make my own stencils and that's what I did here. The marking was very fast and easy with them. No tracing required. If you want the pattern send me an e-mail. I'm sure we can work something out. You couldn't print out the pattern unless you had AutoCad. But I can, and I could make the marking stencils for you as well.

Your quilt is beautiful Kay, I agree with everyone else re colouring, it's stunning without. I'm hopeful that things will get better for you and your family.

I think that Kenna has the right idea when she wrote............

"I'd put it in as many shows as possible, take pics of it and save any atgs or ribbons you get from any of the shows to prove it was there, and then auction it on ebay (maybe), as an award winning quilt, having appeared in XYZ shows, with the provnance from the shows, and with a high reserve. Enough to make a dent in those medical bills! A collector will snatch it up! "

(((((Hugs)))))

It's GORGEOUS! Personally, I wouldn't do a thing to it colorwise. I was imagining a wallhanging sized quilt. This is overwhelming. Your quilting is ...... well I don't have another word but AWESOME. For a first one, it's truly impressive. I'd buy lots of raffle tickets for just the chance to have it!!

I have contacted Karen McTavish about selling a layout, and maybe stencils. She said she has to talk to her publisher about this as it would be a copyright issue. The designs are Karens but I did the layout. I love it, I'm ok on the copyright for my personal use, but we'll have to wait and see if her publisher will grant permission.

I've decided to enter in in MQS next year. Hope it wins a prize. But mostly I'm just proud of my work and want folks to see it.:)

Archived