after the big jump of buying, the little steps of trying

Joma

with the manual CD in my computer, finally started excercising, very pleased how it feels to run the machine

will add a photo

made a "brown bag" quilt top, and now looking for matching colors to quilt, so the not so good shaped lines will be a little bit hidden

because I want the backside as neat as the frontside, I have some questions,

I think I have to loose the bobbin thread... and

when I make the top of the swirl, a sharp zigzag, there are little loops of the thread at the backside, will post a picture later

but already one good thing

I'm not so afraid anymore to touch the machine

have a nice day

Jo

post--13461902681433_thumb.jpg

Hi Jo, and Welcome!

Congratulations on getting past your fear of using the machine. I remember that feeling very well! :P

If you are getting loops on the backside of the quilt, then your top thread tension is too loose. Try tightening it up, giving it a full turn to begin with. It takes a bigger adjustment to make a difference... not like the domestic sewing machine, where you make very small adjustments.

If you find that your bobbin thread is coming up to the top of the quilt, then loosen the top thread little by little, until you get the balance right.

And I agree about your wanting a matching thread. When I first began, I wanted all of the beautifully colored threads that I saw people on the forum doing gorgeous things with.... after stitching a few things on a practice piece, I realized how much I would have to improve to even want my stitching to show up even a little!!! I switched to matching thread, and immediately felt better. It hides wobbles wonderfully! :D

Your flowers look great! Keep up the good work, and most importantly, have fun!!

sorry for choosing the wrong forum, previous post,

want to display a photo of the backside

there are loops with the needle thread, it is a king tut, winding only 2 times will it tight of loose the thread,

I think I have to tighten this thread,

the bobbin thread is too tight I think...

all advices are welcome,

thanks

Jo

post--13461902681629_thumb.jpg

Looks like you are on your way!!! It is a learning curve, something this old lady thought she could never do:P. But with APQS and this form, I am sailing alng and have customer quilts backed up about 1 month:o:o And I've only had my Big Baby (aka Millie) since February!! I love it:P:P:P

Jo,

In addition to tightening the top thread tension, it also helps to slow down when doing curves. Most of us tend to speed up doing curves, so slowing down will help keep the thread tension even. By the way, I find that King Tut is one of the most challenging threads to get even tension, due to its thickness. Try a more forgiving thread, such as Sew Fine (from Superior Threads) or Aurifil MAKO Cotton 40 wt. You are doing really well for your first practice quilt -- you have wonderful design ideas. Best wishes!

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in - our tension queen, Shana tells us to always deal with the bobbin tension first & I totally agree. Take your bobbin case and see how the thread flows out - lay above the palm of your hand and pull on the bobbin thread - if the thread just flows out - it is too loose - if the thread doesn't flow at all, it is too tight. You want the thread to have just enough resistance that when you hold that bobbin case over the palm of your hand it just slowly drops (like a spider) down to the palm of your hand. Every bobbin thread will need to be set a bit different. Once the bobbin tension is good, it is much easier to work with the top tension & remember as others have said - you need to really turn that upper knob at times.

Other things to remember: size of needle (#4 is a pretty good general needle), batting (the thinner, the harder to get perfect tension), fabric, & how tight you are rolling you quilt sandwich. Don't roll & stretch your quilt too tight!! I highly recommend using Bottom Line or Sew Fine in the bobbin (I like Sew Fine the best and use it all the time). While you are learning you might want Sew Fine top and bottom - this is a very easy combination to work with and is a very common combination for quilting. I also like Lava in the top - works very well with Sew Fine and the variegated colors are great. King Tut can be a bit more finicky, but is a great thread - I would not recommend it for the bobbin.

You are doing great with your first designs - I am sure we will see some wonderful and fun things from you - welcome, breath & have fun!!!

Not sure why I like Sew Fine over Bottom Line - maybe just a tad heavier and seems to me a better everyday choice. They are both great. When doing very detailed work with a lot of backtracking I would definitely use Bottom Line or a silk which is even finer. What ever you use to get going, have fun and remember - Bobbin first, then the rest will follow....

As an added thought - having machine embroidered for many years - I have tons of Issacord and Floriani & found both work great with Sew Fine in the bobbin. Both have great sheen and quilt beautifully.

Hi Jo,

your sunflowers look very nice. Give yourself time!

I had similar problems when I begin in July and I havn't mastered the tension thing yet completly. But as the ladies said above, it helps to slow down and using the same color on top and bobbin thread. I like So Fine very much, havn't used King Tut already. When stitching with So Fine I've got the feeling it goes without a hitch. I often use Embrofil for PPP because it is so much cheaper, but it is thicker and causes sometimes threadbreaking problems. For that I apply one drop of Sewers Aid at the hook above the cone and then it works. At the moment I don't care when I have not the absolut perfect tension because I like to practice my movement coordination and having fun with Claudia's PFeathers :)

Have fun on PPPing!

Archived