how much to charge friends

I was wondering what some of you might charge a friend who uses your longarm. That would include showing them how to load the quilt and use the machine. I suggested to my friend $20 and hour since that is what I noticed was being charged by longarmers in general. My friend suggested I charge what I would have charged if I was doing the quilting for a customer. What do you think is fair?

Well, I can tell you it takes me 1/2 the time to do the quilt that a friend took to do hers. You basically cannot leave her for any amount of time, thread breaks, they forget to unpin the edges, unlock or advance the quilt, etc. It took my friend 7 long hours to do her twin size quilt. I did not charge her (she's a really good friend...helps me out with orders and such), and I have to say that after this one experience, she decided that "it's alot more work than you think it is". She said that she will pay me from now on.

I would not charge her any less that $10. hour. Be sure that you have zippers so that she can pull it off the frame if she doesn't finish it, or if you have customer quilts that have to go on it.

Cynthia

Machine rental....

I know that an APQS dealer nearby charges $100 training

fee (10 - 5PM) and then $15 an hour for machine time.

When I first offered the use of my machine to some of my

quilting buddies, I did not realize how time-consuming it

would be. They have all offered to pay a rental fee. Of

course, you have to show them how to set-up, use and

clean the machine. But I discovered that I really feel the

need to baby-sit them (the machine and the quilter)

also.

I know they are careful with the machine. My main

concern is that they end up with a nice quilt, not a tangled

mess. But I feel odd charging a fee to stand around and

watch them quilt or tell them when a bobbin runs out on a panto.

I have 3 quilters who have done quilts on my machine. Two

of them are coming back to do their 2nd or 3rd quilt over this

week-end. I am hoping that I will not have to stay with

them the whole time as I also have things to do with that

week-end time.

I think loaning/renting your machine is one of those things

that you thought was a good idea at the time but later on

you wonder if you made the right decision.

I don't allow anyone to touch my machine, friends, relatives etc..It's an expensive machine and I am not willing to take the chance that someone would mess it up somehow that would cause me to loose customer time on it. As far as me charging them to do their quilts myself I charge them what I charge everyone else. I am running a business and I feel that once I give into family or friends than no one would veiw it as a business but just a hobby.

Joann

I think I could be stingy but I'm not to cool with anyone messing with "Vera Mae". I am considering this as an option for my friends but they too will have to trained and I would want a second machine on Hand for myself.

I plan to get the Liberty and may Purchase a third and less expensive used that I can rent CHEAP to my quilting buddies. I am finding myself doing more charity quilts than I thought (and no I don't mind at all if my time allows) but with a less expensive machine They could come do their own charity quilts and make the time for it themselves. I would not advertise this but make it available for my guild members and good deed doers that I know and things that are important. I have been asked to do quilts for Fund raisers such as one for a child that recently passed away with Leukemia. I enjoy these things but do not have the time for all of them. I can however make a machine available for such important things that is an affordable used. That's something I am considering.

I feel that what I have spent in money will require years of good care and attention to maintenance. It like my first Mercedes or something. I am very protective of my Machine and tools. I want to keep them a very LONG TIME and in good working order.

I agree with the many thoughts above! My "Machine" is mine, it is NOT a

toy, and yes - it is my business. I have one really great friend that I do

cut a deal for on her quilting charges (I do custom / heirloom for just an

overall price) - but otherwise thats it.

I would love to have another machine to rent out or let others us, but that

will wait until we build the quilting studio. No way am I going to let some-

body else break my machine! I like Connie, and it's great to visit her - but

man thats a long drive! Would they pay for your time and trouble to get

it back in working order? I think not,..... especially if they have a problem

paying to use your machine, just my thoughts.

I was going to charge $100 for 4 hours (approx.) of training on the use of the machine, cleaning, loading, tensions, etc. and then $20 per hour. I have one friend who has rented my machine several times but I have found out I cannot leave her alone with the machine. I have to be with her most of the time and I get nothing else done. Every time the quilt needed to be rolled, she asked how to do it. I also found out that I am very protective of my Millie and really don't have the personality to let others use it unless they really know what they are doing.

If you are going to rent your machine, set up specific times for this. My friend always wanted to use the machine right after I got one of my quilts loaded and the tension perfect for my thread. Also, she would set up a time to be here and then show up 3 hours later - like my time isn't valuable:mad:

She hasn't asked about using my machine since December and I don't encourage it anymore.

I'm so glad you posted this question. I have been asked too, if I would rent out my Millie. My first thought was no way - I don't want anyone to touch my Millie and potentially mess it up. Then I thought, maybe I could make some side money by renting it out. However, after reading the messages above, it's just not worth it to me. If someone accidently damages it or messes up the timing, tension, etc. I would have to spend time correcting "issues". Plus I would have to baby-sit everyone (so I wouldn't be able to use the time for myself anyway).

Julie

I echo everyone that said, "NO WAY"...years ago when I first got my machine and was learning how to use it myself, a person came and asked me if I would crosshatch 30 yards of lame' (ms) , but she wanted to be there to help as she couldn't afford to pay me the price I quoted.

I should have backed out then, but being the nice person I am I said sure, but I would run the machine if she would clip the threads and do all the gofer work, she agreed.

To make a very long story short after about 5 days of this, I asked her to put in the bobbin as she was on that side, she had watched me do it hundreds of times by that time and I was sure she knew what to do. Needless to say she got it in some how wrong; I'm on the back side I hit the button and the bobbin shot out of the housing, just as she bent over to tie a shoe, the bobbin and case just missed her head as it flew across the room (personally I didn't know they could do that).

When this happened it messed up the timing like you will never know and it cost me over $350 to bring someone into Reno, from Sacramento to fix the machine including hotel room and meals....this was before I found someone local to do this sort of stuff. Believe me I learned fast, and NO ONE was ever allowed to touch my old reliable ULT II after that.

If the bobbin/case had made connections with her head, I don't think I had enough insurance to make her happy....it was a lesson well learned for me. No amount of money offered after that would get anyone near it.

Just my learning tale.....

I agree, friends don't use my machine. I have trained my daughter-in-law(who is more like my own daughter) to use Millie and she is the only other person that quilts on it. She is great about checking for the best time for her to use it too. She also does all the binding on my quilts when I actually have time to make any. Since I wouldn't charge her anything if I was to do her quilting this arrangement actually saves me time.

I do give my extended family (there are 3 quilters) a 40% discount on their quilts but they do many things for me in exchange. They also have given me many referrals. Since I have a 100% mark-up (I double the cost) on batting & thread, I still make a 10% margin on those items. We are a very close group and this works for us.

Thanks for all the advice. This will be a hard one for me. My friend has already done a quilt (panto) and did pretty well. She is lined up to do at least 2 more. But I don't feel I want to continue with the arrangement after those are done, that will be the hard part. I don't feel I'm getting enough $ for her time on my machine. Fortunately for me and my milli she is anal about the care she takes with it as if it were her own. But you are right if something goes wrong and repair is needed, then who is responsible?

Bonnie

Bon Bon's Quilting Service

Newberg, Oregon

I have let my sister watch me do some polar fleece throws for her, but she thought it looked like too much to remember every time you advanced. My daughter-in-law, who is very close, has spoken up for my machine when I'm gone. I told her she would have to learn how to use/take care of it. She is still a bit nervous but she comes when I have free time and she has done a couple of simple pantos. She is very into crafts and sewing. I do usually keep an eye on her, but I can leave the room and do other things because if she has ANY questions or problems she stops the machine and comes to get me immediately. As for others renting or using my machine I just don't think I'll ever have the nerve to let just anybody use her.

Archived