brand new to longarm quilting--discouraged

I just got a longarm machine and have it down(I think) on pinning the quilt to the frame and even practiced on some fabric but when I loaded a quilt and tried to use the laser with a pattern I found it not coming out like I felt it should so I tried just do loops and vines which look uneven. Does it get better soon or do I need a large order of NERVE PILLS? any help really appreciated.:( Gail

Gail,

Don't give up so soon. If you have been practicing, keep it up, even with pantos. Just because there is a line to follow it is not as easy as it sounds.

First, just load some practice fabric and try the panto.

Second, and probably on of the most important things, is to relax. I won't tell you to "dance with your machine" because frankly, that sounds corny to me. Just relax and get in the "groove".

You will get it and the squared off circles will start to look more like circles.

Did you set up your machine, or did you have it set up by a dealer?

Some will tell you to start adjusting the wheels, I say not to, until you are very familiar with the machine. You can mess up the setting on the wheels and then it takes forever to get it right.....Don't ask me how I know this, just do a search on wheels, you will probably see my name there every time.

Oh, one last thing. If you are making yourself crazy because you are not staying right on the line of the panto...forget it sister. No one will see those lines, they are just a reference line for you. And when you quilt a panto on a quilt top, if the fabric or the pattern is busy, you are home free, no one will really see the quilting.

Thank you so much, it really helps to know that everyone starts this way. I really love making the tops and think I will enjoy the quilting part once I get relaxed with it and yes I was trying to follow the line exactly and see every little stitch that is out of line. I guess I will pu the practice quilt back on and buckle down. Thank you so much that really helped

Gail,

We've all been in your shoes; don't be discouraged! Like any new skill, longarming takes practice. Some folks say to practice every day for about an hour just getting used to the machine and how you handle it. Over time you will learn the rhythm that works for you and your machine, and the style of quilting that best suits you. Some folks say they don't "get" pantos at all; some say that is all they do and don't like freehand or custom. You will find your own style! Relax, remember to breathe, and a bit of chocolate can't hurt!! We are here for you if you need any help or encouragement!! Have fun and enjoy your new endeavor.

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

Gail

Along with your chocolate I have heard (from the Pros:)) that wine helps alot. I don't care that much for wine so Mikes Hard Lemonade will do for me. Or if you are really stressed a Colorado Bulldog works nicely!!! Don't give up, just rest the shoulders and take a sip and try again. After enough rest and sips things look much better!!! Smile and we all will be here for you:):):)

Welcome to the APQS family!

Don´t worry and just relax!;)

Imagine your machine would be your pen in your hand and you have to learn" writing"......remember your very first lesson at school to write llllll´s and eeeeee´s and mmmmmmm´s .

Maybe you can start with this freemotion excercises instead of trying restricting lines?

Just an idea.....

Have (P)fun......

Claudia

One of the first things I did when I got my machine was to load a muslin queen sandwich and quilt the same panto the entire quilt. I would not recommend starting with a queen, but the practice was well worth the time and it became my dog's new blanket. Best wishes -- pantos are scary at first, but in time you'll start recognizing the shapes!:)

Hey Gail!

Do not fret. This seems to be a common feeling when we first get our machines. I was convinced I was the only person in the world who couldn't follow a pantograph. BUT.... it gets easier, better and more fun until soon you will be thinking "what did I ever worry about this for?"

Keep up your practice and your spirits. A month, year, five years from now you'll be able to do this with eyes closed. ( that could lead to new anxieties )

Cheers

Sylvia ( F.C )

Gail,

Oh we can all remember being right where you are! Don't give up. Everybody has given such excellent advice. I would add that what did to learn how to track pantos was to stitch it and then stitch over it again and again. Change your thread color and you will be amazed at how you progress. I would also recommend taking some kind of hands on class. It really helps! You will get it but you have to be willing to ppp! Before you know it you will wonder why it got you so stressed out!

Hi Gail,

I'm a newbie too and am having so much fun practicing. One minute it looks awesome, the next not so good but it's all fun!

This is a great forum with tons of expertise and support. Hang in there, I know we'll both get better and better as we practice. In six months, we need to share pictures of where we started and where we're at. I'll be there's going to be a world of difference.....Mercedes

Remember to practice on paper, on white boards, in the dirt and sand, in the air, in chocolate pudding and even mashed potatoes. You are training your muscles to remember the motion. Your brain doesn't know if you're doing it on fabric or dirt. It's a muscle memory sort of thing. Carry pencil and notepad with you where ever you go. Stopped in traffic, doodle; boring meeting, doodle; coffee break, doodle; that's all included in PPP>

You can get these marvelous little "Moleskine" journals at art supply or office supply stores.. They come with plain paper or graph paper. It's great to store ideas and inspirations in--and to look back at when you become more proficient to see how far you've come.

And above all, have fun!:D

Gail - what you are going through is totally normal. It seems that what we see in our heads we should just be able to do......... eventually you will, but it takes time, PPP'ing and of most importance - learning to relax - easier said than done at first. Start slow and easy and be nice to yourself. Put your muslin on - fill it up & then just add another piece over the first - you can put up to 3 pieces of muslin on top of one another before it gets to stiff to practice on. Pick something to practice - loops - do them until you like them - not necessarily love them - pick another shape - then mix the two - just keep trying shapes, adding shapes and mixing - pretty soon you will see that you are quilting!!!! Do simple flowers, then simple leaves, then mix the two by adding a loopy line - voila - a pattern!! Have some fun - write the alphabet - lots of shapes there............ just keep going!! Your shapes today will be primitive as compared with what you will be doing in the next few weeks!!!

When I first started just over a year ago, another gal told me that there seems to be certain stages we all go through: 1 - 3 weeks = OMG, why did I ever buy this thing and will I ever be able to use it, 3 - 6 weeks = I can actually do something - maybe even a simple quilt!, about 9 weeks = I can do this, just have to learn more and get better & from then on it just gets better. She was right. I still have so much to learn but am constantly learning and improving!!! I still have my first practice piece and it is so awful but I am going to keep it to remind me where I was and how far I am progressing!

When I started just over a year ago, I bought a couple of DVD's that really helped - Pam Clarke, Kim Brunner, Myrna Ficken (SP?) to name a few. Pam Clarke's are great because she really stresses learning shapes and has some great exercises. The advice to draw/doodle is the best ......... it also helps me to initially trace certain patterns, then draw on my own & finally practice with my LA. Whatever works - just do draw!!!

I am so glad you joined the group here - it is a great place with lots of support and inspiration................ with every level of quilter!!! Hang in!

Originally posted by meg_marsh

Put your muslin on - fill it up & then just add another piece over the first - you can put up to 3 pieces of muslin on top of one another before it gets to stiff to practice on.

Now why didn't I think of that???:o What a great idea Meg! Thanks! :D:D You just saved me a bunch of $$

And welcome Gail! I'm a newbie too, so I know how you feel. You've come to the right place to be encouraged and learn a ton of stuff! Happy Quilting!

All the advise really makes me feel better, so I will practice practice practice. I was asked what machine I bought and when, The State Rehab bought me a Babylock Longarm, full size. Because of my disability(partially parilized) due to a auto accident I can use my left arm and hand and am learning to use my left arm some. They wouldn't give me enough to get an APQS, I tried. Can I still be part of this forum? I have watched silently for the past three years when I could only watch and not type and loved reading what everyone has to say and suppotive everyone is. It is a wonderfull forum. I will try and find theDVD's that train, that would be so helpful. I can't thank everyone enough for all your thoughtfulness and advise.

Of course you can still be a part of this forum!! APQS machines are not a requirement.

One of the things I learned from Darlene Epp with regard to Pantos...they are not all that easy. But, she also pointed out, that once you get the hang of them...just one of them...you can do it!! One of her kids/clients/someone had a great idea. Buy a yard of fabric and a 1 1/2 piece for backing. Load them as you would a quilt and then quilt a panto. Take it off, square it, bind it and give it away for a Christmas present. By the time you do a few of those, you'll not only have homemade Christmas gifts to hand out, you'll have mastered pantos.

Hang in there!!! We've all been exactly where you are; it does get better.

Welcome Gail,

I totally agree with everyone. When I got my Millenium in July 2007 and started practicing, I almost quit and thought it was a mistake to buy this big machine.

Then I met all these great gals in this forum and started reading and lurking and finally posting. Now I have a steady growing customer base and been able to do some custom work. I even won 1st and 2nd place ribbons on my own Applique quilts that I practice on in 2008, I was determined to make this work for me.

Did not happen overnight but the practice and determination paid off. I went to Longarm University for a 4 day course for beginners in 2007, then went to MQS last May and took classes from DeLoa, Pam Clarke, Dawn Cavanaugh, Sally Terry. I try new things and practice whatever I have learned from these good instructors.

Be patient and kind to yourself, it will happen.

Corey

Hi Gail - Welcome and I agree with all the above. One more thing I found helpful and taught my husband, is to put your elbows next to your body and move the machine with your whole body instead of using just your arms to move the machine. I find the lines are a lot smoother and the machine is easier to move and not as tiring. Have fun.

Archived