brand new to longarm quilting--discouraged

Welcome Gail,

Along with all the other great advice, here's one little tidbit which helped me with my first panto. Look an inch or two ahead of the laser light to where you're going, and magically the light will go there too! The same is true when you're stitching from the front of your machine - - don't stare at the needle, but look ahead to where you're going - - kind of like driving your car.

Don't be discouraged, as you'll be amazed how quickly it does get easier and more fun. And don't hesitate to ask for help here, as there is an amazing amount of knowledge on this forum.

Gail,

First welcome to the greatest chat group there is. You don't even have to have a machine to join.

Second, I learned pretty fast that when I had a death grip on my machine my panto work was horrible. I still have to keep telling myself to keep it loose.

Third, Julie is right. Don't look at the needle/laser position, look ahead. It is just like driving, you don't look where you are you look at where you are going. Your machine will magically follow where you are looking.

I hope all this hellps. You have received some great adivce here. Don't be afraid to post any questions as there is always someone around who can help.

Pamela

Welcome and congratulations Gail.

Here is another helpful tip for stitching pantos-- as you first start, stitch each line segment individually. That is--if there is a four inch curved line, start and then stop at the point. Easy to do with a stitch regulator! Now you can see where the next line takes you, look ahead of the laser light as advised above, and stitch the next segment. There is not as much pressure to race through the panto design if you know you will stop at the end of each line segment. Also less chance of going the wrong way.

Your rhythm will start to kick in and after one pass of the panto you will be familiar with it and can pause at the line ends instead of stopping. This way also allows you time to take those side-steps and maybe breathe!!:D

Gail,

Welcome to the forum. Things do get easier; you've gotten so much good advice from forum members. But yes - square circles, curvy straight lines, straight curved lines, and any other number of wonky shapes are standard for most of us newbies.

Remember to keep some of your early practice pieces - you really will be able to tell how much you improve over a relatively short period of time. Animal shelters are happy recipients of practice pieces that can be used for animal bedding. Charity groups like Project Linus are happy to receive simple quilts that are perfect to for LA practice. Don't be intimidated by the gorgeous quilts you see posted here - rather use them for inspiration on where your PPP'ing will take you.

Go easy on yourself and enjoy the comraderie here.

Lynn

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome to the forum, everyone is nice and helpful too. I tried what was suggested about practice everyday and I am starting to see a difference already and what fun I am having. Although I let myself get roped into making 2 quilts for a friends grandchildren and they are photo quilts so I am making them very simple and going do quilt them with meandering they are not big only 48x54 jus throws really, but I told my husband no more orders I make quilts but they are patterns I want to make and enjoy them. I guess I will learn. I love this forum it is just so cool.;)

Hi Gail... glad you feel like it is getting better! I am so new at this that I feel odd giving advice... I am humbled by all the pictures I see on this forum.... however, I will tell you what worked for me with pantos. When I am standing at the back of the machine, I hold the left handle with my left hand, and hold onto the machine with my right hand to help maneuver it. It seemed to me that having my body centered behind the laser instead of centered to the machine helped with my balance and everything. I didn't feel like I was reaching for the handle on the right side. That probably doesn't make sense at all, but it worked for me! Maybe it's a psychological thing, and I just think I can do it better when I'm closer to the laser light. I don't use the right handle at all. In fact, I wish APQS had put a handle of some sort on the back of the machine. I'm tempted to screw a drawer pull on there! :P But I can't bring myself to put holes in the back of my Millie! Relax, and you will be able to do this! And remember, a light touch is all you need!

I agree with everyone's advice and comments. First I was afraid to touch the machine, then I couldn't make a circle to save my life but could make a great square instead. After PPP one day the light came on and away I went, I'm a LA quilter. PS, I think panto's are hard. Please stay on the forum and ask questions, we love all quilters no matter what machine they have.

Gail, we don't care what brand you use - sometimes it helps to know in case you ask a question about tension and such. This forum is for everyone who loves to quilt! We are glad you are here and so glad you were able to get a machine. What a wonderful idea to get it through vo-rehab. You will get the hang of it and you will smile every time you look at it. Please post pictures as all the members of this family do!!!:P

Originally posted by gbaum

The State Rehab bought me a Babylock Longarm, full size. Can I still be part of this forum?

You betcha Gail! I have a Nolting longarm, but I come to this forum all the time because the way the information is categorized is really helpful and user friendly.

We all have been thru the same things, I wanted to throw my machine out the window so many time it is not even funny. It does get easier all the time and remember the quilt police won't know if you stayed on that line or not. Once you take off what your quilted and stand back it looks pretty darn good. There are some beginner DVD and good books out there that will help you alot too. Keep practicing it does get better. Good luck Joyce

Gail welcome and we are all so glad that you have joined us. All of the advice you have received above is right on. I am one of those silly people who actually enjoys doing a panto, but it took me forever to get comfortable and I spent a lot of time frogging because I wasn't following the line exactly. When I found out no one knew I wasn't on the line but me, it totally freed me up and now I just have fun. If you can't see going 10 miles an hour an a galloping horse then its all right. I think that is how the saying goes.

Anyway, please keep us informed and remember someone is always awake and ready to jump in if you have a question.

Well I took all this great advise and practice,practice practice and I do feel better about it. I am going to quilt my first real quilt(for a friend) tonight so I will see if we are still friends after I finish it, LOL, it is a small quilt for her grandchild. I will post a picture after it is finished if I can figure out how. I really feel like I have very good friends on this forum and I am loving my longarm most of the time. Just when I think I've got it I mess up, but I just keep going so we will see what happens. Thanks again everyone;)

Gail,

I'm glad you already see some improvement. That's encouraging. I always keep a panto on the back of the machine and whenever I go to work on the machine I practice following the panto with the lazer light. PPP is the key. I personally find pantographs to be challenging and when I'm the least bit tense it shows in my work. It is hard to relax when your quilting on someone elses quilt but real important. I have been quilting since the end of July and am just now feeling relaxed. And my curves look better because of it.

Have fun.

Jessica

Hi Gail, I like everyone's advice, especially Claudia's. :)

So....just remember that we've all been there where you are now. You will be OK. Just hang in there. Make it fun. Don't make it a challenge. It's OK to screw up. It's OK not to be perfect. But, it's not OK to make this a chore. Reeee-lax! Go withthe flow. Roll with it. Don't put expectations on yourself so soon. Find some beginner DVDs and watch them about 10 time each. Myrna Ficken, Kimmy Brunner, Pajama Quilter are all great starters to build confidence. There are others, too. Just play. And like Mary Beth said, hang out with us here and you will learn a lot. ((Hugs)) Shana

Gail,

I know you wrote about your concerns in October, but I would like to know how is it going now that you've been at it for a few weeks?

I am new Millie owner, but I rented another machine for 3 years. So I really thought I knew it all until the day "Zippie" (Millie) was there in my room.

Standing so grand and tall, she scared me to death. I actually couldn't even touch her for 2 whole days. All I could do was look.

Then like you I tried the panto's and nothing looked right. The best thing that happened after that was I had the opportunity to take some classes with Dawn Cavanaugh. I am truly thankful. She is a wonderful instructor.

In class we used white board and practiced drawing curves, letters, and motion. This exercise helps to warm up your wrists and hands. Before I start "Zippie" I will white board draw for 15 minutes, I do notice a difference.

I know you will be fine, once you relax and play with your machine. Turn on the music and let yourself go.

I hope this will help you. Keep in touch.

Hi Marge, I was just about to post my update when I recieved your message. Thank you for your interest and everyone has been so helpful. WELL, I finished quilting my first 2 throws 54x60 and now the binding. I will post a picture when I gett the binding done, hopefully tonight or tomorrow morning. the second was better than the first. I think I was going to fast for the stitch reg on the first so slowed down on the second. But learned a lot like always check to see if you turned the back the right direction or you will be adding fabric and don't sew so close to the leader. So I guess you know who did that. What is so funny is I have sewn for years and quilted on my home machine and I get my longarm and went brain dead. Well time to rest and start again. I guess it's not to bad for the one arm quilter (help from my husband) happy quilting. I am really enjoying this even with errors.;)

Gail, when I first start to use a new panto I turn the machine on with just the laser light NO STITCHING and I go over the lines from end to end once or twice then, .... I go away and do something else for an hour or so. Later I come back and do the same thing until I feel comfortable with the motion. I may have to do this three or four times before I start on a quilt.

It is like learning to color inside the lines all over again.

Also, I have learned to notice what kind of grip I am using. If I am holding the handle with a "Death Grip" I know I need to stop, breathe and, "let go".

Several good teachers taught me to stand to the left of the machine and use only my right hand to hold the handle Not Both hands. Once I got used to doing it that way it was much easier.

Archived