Batting questions.

I always thought cotton or wool was the warmest batting until I read Dawn's note in a previous post. I didn't think polyester would be. My customer has left a quilt for me that is going to the south of France and her mom (the recipient) likes polyester because she will probably wash the quilt weekly, but she also wants a quilt that won't be too warm and is light weight. So now I'm stumped. I suggested Hobbs Polydown because it is so washable and lightweight. Did suggest the right thing? What about Soft & Bright or Hobb's 80/20?

Also, another customer wants me to quilt a quilt for a child with epilepsy. Together we decided on cotton because she said something about him not supposed to have anything 'synthetic', but he needs warmth. Is this the best choice for someone with epilepsy?

Caroline,

You can use a poly that isn't too thick and won't be too warm. My personal favorite is Dream Puff but that is a little warmer. Hobb's 80/20 is a nice light weight but has a little warmth...not too much though. The only problem I've ever had with hobbs is that I sometimes get batting pokies. QD poly select is another nice choice but a little heavier.

For the child with epilepsy...does he have an alergy to synthetic? I wasn't aware of anything with epilepsy that would cause them not to have synthetic. Dream Angel is a wonderful batting for children. I love the feel of it.

Heidi - thanks! The Hobbs Polydown isn't too thick so I think I'll use that. I have an order of QD Dream Puff on its way - can't wait to try it. I've been looking for something with more loft than the Polydown. I also have some QD poly select, but my customer wanted it puffy and the poly select is very flat.

I don't know if this boy has allergies. I will call and ask. She said something about when he has an 'episode' his body temperature goes way down. Maybe the Soft and Bright would be a good choice. It does't have any resins or glues and is warm. It is made by The Warm Co. I don't have any Dream Angel. I'm going to find out why my customer was worried about synthetics. She a nurse, so maybe there is more to his illness than just epilepsy (poor child).

I think Dream Angel is perfect for kids and quilts beautifully - Many of my grandmother friend like the Dream Puff for their older grandchildren because of the puff and it washes so well - warm but not too warm! Synthetics - generally synthetics cause less allergy problems - I would definitely talk to your customer.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Just a tab off subject! I just love Hobbs 80/20 but twice in the last month I have purchased the 90X 108 and when I got home and measured it was 75 X 90. Not fun!!!

This will make you mad--this happened to me recently with a batt a customer dropped off. I offered to take it back to the LQS and have them replace it. They were very nice and did so, then the clerk told me they were having trouble with one "special customer" who had been caught swapping the larger batting for the smaller--she wasn't able to get a queen size in the bag for a double quick enough to get away with it. Now they remove the twist-tie and securely tape the tops closed so tampering is evident.:mad: What a shame!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Just a tab off subject! I just love Hobbs 80/20 but twice in the last month I have purchased the 90X 108 and when I got home and measured it was 75 X 90. Not fun!!!

This will make you mad--this happened to me recently with a batt a customer dropped off. I offered to take it back to the LQS and have them replace it. They were very nice and did so, then the clerk told me they were having trouble with one "special customer" who had been caught swapping the larger batting for the smaller--she wasn't able to get a queen size in the bag for a double quick enough to get away with it. Now they remove the twist-tie and securely tape the tops closed so tampering is evident.:mad: What a shame!

That's horrible! Why do people do stuff like that?!

Imagine how awful for those of us who quilt for those kinds of folks!!:mad:

I have a customer now who is elderly and very, very wealthy. And lets me know how wealthy! Looks down her nose at me and my house AND MAKES SNIDE LITTLE REMARKS! Then she brings a small (41" x 41") quilt top and said she was saving some money by "layering it so it's all ready for you"!!! I said you did not save a dime, in fact I may charge more because I have to take it apart!! She brought it the other day. I might call her and say I can't do it because my mom is moving back in with me (she is) and I don't have time??

She also told me not to be "skimpy with the quilting"!!! Whatever. Thanks for letting me vent on YOUR post. Sorry!:o:o

That's all right Linnea Marie - you can vent on my post anytime :). I'm sure she's got a cheap batting in there too! Maybe you could overquilt it for her so it comes out a stiff as a board? :P:P But that would just be mean, and we quilters are not mean. I would probably just do my best and hope she does not come back...

On the same note as the quilt batting swapper...in Reno, we had a quilter...who will be un-named here...that would go around with a huge tote... until we noticed that when she left there were empty bolts in the racks after she left.... and it wasn't just in one store, it was ALL of them. The store owners decided to take notes to see if it was full bolts or just partial ones that were being taken, and then they started to stop her from coming in with her tote. They would ask if they could keep it at the counter so that she could shop more freely and not have to lung the huge thing around.

Amazing enough the bolt boards weren't empty anymore, but she also stopped shopping in Reno, and she and her tote would go to Sacramento.

Archived