decisions, decisions

I use my channel locks to do piano key, but don't let channel locks be the deciding factor, there are ways to get around that feature. You need to think about the size of the head, types of qults you will be doing, etc.

I bought a Millie thinking that I would get all the bells and whistles so I would need to trade in the near future. After 5 1/2 years, I know that there are things I could have done differently and been just fine.

Oh, I'm not much help am I? :o

I recently bought a Millie. Tough decision I know! Love the channel locks, but as Mary Beth said, there are ways around that. You could use a bull clamp on either side of your wheel to get the vertical channel lock very easily. The only other difference I saw between the Millie & the Freedom SR is the thread cutter, which I have never used (I bring my bobbin thread to the top) I do love the hydraulic lift, and the auto fabric advance though, and if I had to choose between either of those and the vertical channel lock, I would save the $600 by getting the Freedom and put that towards the hydraulic lift. JMHO! My hubby said get the Cadillac :D, otherwise it probably would have been the Freedom for me! Either one is a fantastic choice! Good luck with your decision!

Looks like the Millennium comes with the channel locks, thread cutter and turbo winder as compared to the Freedom which doesn't include these items. For the $600 difference...I would go with the Millennium. I use all the extra features that I listed above.

You could also consider the Green Millennium. It has all the features of the Millennium except it does not carry the QuiltGlide option. It is considerably less for cost if that is a concern.

I use the channel locks but again, as Mary Beth said, there are ways around that. I do not use the thread cutter or the on-board bobbin winder. I have the motorized fabric advance and love it. I believe it's optional on both machines. Of course if I had never had it I suppose I wouldn't know what I was missing. Basically, knowing what I know now, the Freedom would have been fine for me.

I love all of the things that came with my Millennium. I have not removed anything from it. I love my thread cutter, channel locks, power advance feed, etc.

I added the vertical cone holder and horizontal spool holders to the front of the machine, and installed the Rulermate. I bought the little magnifying glass to clamp onto the front handles. I have a little snake light to use as a side light when I need to see while quilting white on white or black on black or busy fabrics. I will install the edgrider wheels in a few weeks. I don't expect to pimp my ride with any other gadgets....

Yeah, right...

I have a Liberty - no channel locks, no thread cutter, but I do have the auto advance feature and absolutely love, love, love it!

I might use the channel locks if I had them, but as others have said, you can get around that issue with a few clamps.

I probably would not use the thread cutter, except possibly when doing an edge to edge when the little thread tails would be in the excess edge of the quilt, not actually on the quilt, so I wouldn't have to go back and clip them all. BUT, I like to tie & bury my threads, so I would not use the cutter for any other reason, than beyond the boundaries of the top.

It's a tough decision to make. My personal thoughts...if I were to get a larger machine and money was not a deciding factor, I would get the Freedom anyway. If I wasn't going to use the thread cutter, why buy it and why drag around that extra few pounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Always take into account how the machine moves. Do you really need the channel locks & thread cutter or can rulers do the same thing for you. The Freedom SR has everything but those two items and the weight difference might make a difference for you. Check them both out if you can. Have fun getting your machine!

Test drive any machine you are thinking about purchasing. It's got to be good for you and YOUR specs - no one else.

I chose Freedom because it was less weighty (sans channel locks and thread cutter). It came with the fabric advance, SR and I added on the hydraulics.

Worth every $!!!!

You need to try out the machines to suit you and what you can afford. I think one thing to remember is that even the top of the line machine will take lots of practice and classes. You will still have a learning curve. The machine does not necessarily make the quilt -- it's the quilter that controls the machine that makes the quilt sing!!

I have a Lenni and quilt customer quilts and couldn't be happier with her!

Best of luck with your decision --- Any APQS machine and it's support staff will not disappoint you!

Sharon

Archived