My new studio

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Okay, so it's not a luxury suite, but compared to what it looked like when I started, I am THRILLED. It's still pretty rough -- needs molding and new lights, and I have to move in some furniture and shelving, but that will all come. Here's the link to show you how I have been killing myself for the past few weeks. You know you really have to want something badly to work eight hours a day and then come home to the heat in the attic to renovate! As soon as the molding is up around the windows, I have a large air conditioner that will take care of the heat. I hope you can follow this link!

I've added a new picture at the bottom. She's all set up and even is sporting a new set of ZIPPERS! :D

Linda

Linda's Studio

Linda,

Looking good! My DH finished off the back of our large garage for my studio last year. I can appreciate how much work it is. The trim is still not up, but we are quilting.Elphaba sat in her box for weeks waiting patiently to sit on her rails:)

WOW! Linda, you did a terrific job! Just goes to show that where there's a will, there's a way! You've transformed that dreary attic into a wonderful studio. Congratulations. I'm reallly impressed with what you did there.

I think we'll both have our machines up and running about the same time tonight. I can't wait for DH to get home and help me!!!

Pat yourself on the back . . you've come a long way!!

Guest Linda S

Did the guys in brown end up bringing your new Millie, Judy? I'm so glad!! I remember sitting in the living room listening for those air brakes or the squeak of tires. :P Good thing I'm not a dog or I would have barked my fool head off! :o

Happy Quilting!

Linda

Love the look of your new room. We had to rotate 3 bedrooms in our house so I could have the largest (14' 7" X 15' 4") for my 12 ' table and all my sewing supplies. It took me, my sister and my daughter a whole week to move things back in place before my husband got back from his motorcycle trip with the guys. His only statement before he left was, "I don't want to see that thing blocking my view in the living room when I get home." Our living room windows are floor to ceiling. It took him a while to get used to sleeping in a different room. Eventually, I hope to build a shop just for all the quilting business.:D

I just wanted to give you a tip from something I learned about finished attics. I don't know how much snow that you get in Eugene but once your attic is finished you need to keep the snow off the roof. When you put insulation in the ceiling like that it reduces cold air circulation. If you let the snow build up - you could have a problem with ice dams....something I learned the hard way. Your studio will be great! Nice work.

Lynn - Minnesota

Guest Linda S

Lynn - thanks for the tip, but it snows about once every five years in Eugene! We get lots and lots of rain, but snow is very rare. Watch, now that I've said that, we'll get five feet this winter! :P

Linda

What a great job you've done and how exciting to have a space just for you and your machine! My machine is in the dining area of my kitchen, and I'm grateful to have her there, because she came in from the garage where I had her set up first, and it is just too hot out there now to work! I sure would like her to have her own special space, but I don't think that's likely to happen! Congratulations!

Love your pictures of your room; I thought of you often this summer working on the attic. I can't believe you did so much. You also inspired me to at least paint the room that my Millenium would be sitting in; didn't get the flooring changed before it arrived, but then I rarely look that low. Have had a wonderful 10 days with my machine; there is so much to learn, but now I am getting a little calmer--or maybe things are beginning to register in my brain.

Oh, Linda...the space looks awesome! I couldn't believe how different it looked! How high are the ceilings? Are you going to knock into those light fixtures?

I have to "shuffle" the guest bedroom with my sewing room to move the Liberty downstairs instead of up. Hubby thought that made more sense than finishing the basement ($$). I'll need to enlist the help of my sister for the move, and install a lager overhead light so I can see. (I'm not even sure how wide the room is.

Any suggestion on what to do with my Loom?

Guest Linda S

Actually, I'm very lucky. The ceilings are 7' in the middle and I've got lots of room. I'll need to post another pic with the machine up. I somehow (without really planning) managed to put the machine in the perfect spot. I can still stand up comfortably on the front end of the machine, even though I envision using a drafting stool there most of the time. I left the back in the more open area, where I figure I'll need to stand and move more freely if I want to do pantos.

If you're on the fence about buying a machine -- do it if you can. It is a blast!! If I can start making money at this, I will be in heaven for sure!

Linda :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lucky with my sewing room space.

When I first learned to quilt we lived in one bedroom apt. My coffee table was my cutting area and my sewing machine was in the kitchen.

When we decided to move we went to a condo that had a sunroom, not heating, no air conditioning and no insulation, but it was perfect. It was then I decided to get a longarm. We knew we would not stay in the condo forever. I knew over a year ago that I was getting a longarm.

When we went house shopping, one of the requirements was a room big enough for me and the machine. We passed over several houses that were perfect except no room for the longarm.

I remember when we were talking with my step daughters about the house that we wanted a FROG, the youngest who was moving in with us after graduation said she wanted that as her room. Of course we told her that its purpose was for my sewing space.

I remember when we moved into this house the previous owners and our realtor were dumfounded as to why I needed that much space. If they could see how much room the machine took up in there they would understand.

I had big plans on how to re-arrange the room, but I waited til i got my machine. I am so glad. The machine was wider than I anticipated and so the tables have to stay where they are. I would have to say the most anoying thing is that my chair does not move all that well on the carpet. Maybe one day we will put a hard flooring down.

My wonderful husband has been so supportive of my addiction. I have often thought of writing a twelve steps to quilting. He even likes to go to the quilt shows with me. He does not like to come in the sewing room, he always steps on the pins in the floor. He has realized that a good marriage survives if he encourges me spending money on keeping my sewing room comfortable and well stocked.

I am now teaching my step-daughter to make quilts. She is curious about the longarm so maybe she can someday help me with my business.

I am in the process of converting the room over my garage into my quilting studio. It was my late husband's workshop and it has been sitting unused for the past 18 years. The lighting is great but I don't have any heat up there, as of yet. Do any of you quilt in unheated areas and does that affect your machine? I was thinking of putting in electric heat for winter and AC for summer. I am so fortunate to have a space (approx. 15' x 28') to work in. I can't wait for my new Liberty machine to be set up in it!

Guest Linda S

I'm not sure of the effect this would have on the machinery. That might be a good question to ask Mark or Connie on the help page. My studio is about the same size as the room you're planning on using. I have that 6' wall that kind of sticks out into the middle of the room which limits things a bit, but it's okay. I have not heat up there either, but it will have some basic heat rising from the house below. I plan to use a space heater while I'm up there working. I also have a large window unit AC for the summer. Couldn't do without it.

Best wishes to you! The Liberty is a wonderful machine!

Linda

I did some research when I was looking to buy a LA. Looked into a Gamill. I went to a (only job) quilter's home that owned a Norling. She worked in the basement. She told me that she found the humidity control was important for her machine.

I also work in the basement. I have kept the humidity low and have had excellent results with operation and basement smells.

I find the biggest factor to be dust and lint control. I agree with someone's earlier advice. I clean my bobbin casing and under carriage with every bobbin change. I brush/wipe excess lint and oil from the machine head almost as frequently.

I use my lint brush and canned air more than I do my scissors.

Since I have added those steps, I have been able to quilt non-stop to use up an entire bobbin and have not had many of the problems that I have seen mentioned in other posts.

If I am getting thread breakage, I suspect a burr. Even if I can't feel them, I get out the emery and go over every part that might have one.

When I realized that this machine was going thru a bobbin in 15 minutes vs my sewing machine going thru one in 15 days. I just adjusted my ideas on maintenance accordingly and we are all getting along famously!

The unheated/uncooled thing is no doubt regional.....unheated in my garage would be -15 degrees sometimes!

Lynn - Minnesota :-) This site is very fun!

I work in my basement and it gets very cool in the winter (I live in the Midwest with serious winters). I often start out wearing a long fleece bathrobe over my clothes to be warm enough with a space heater or two turned on for my own comfort -- eventually I warm up enough from moving to take the robe off and turn off the heaters.

With it that cold, my machine runs fine but Connie at APQS did suggest running the machine without thread in the needle for some minutes to warm it up when I start each day. ;)

Mary

• 1 month later...

I also have a new room. My husband did great work... I have a 20x25 foot room with my Mil. (14 feet). In the other corner is my sunroom furniture, because the sunroom is not completed yet on our new house. He also built an office for me that has my computer and embroidery machine in it. It is a Viking... and I love it!!! I will try to post some pics when I have a chance to take some with my Digital camera. We didn't take the before and after however.

Barb

It's such fun to see your work spaces. I'm a long way from getting a machine, but I really enjoy seeing and hearing about the different ways the space issue can be handled. I have a couple of ideas on how to expand a space or two in my house to accommodate a machine, but I need to make the money to pay for it first! Thanks to everyone for sharing what has worked for you.

Kathy

I'd love to see pics of your quilting spaces. I should post some more pics now that the machine and most of the shelves and furniture are moved in. Of course, that would mean I'd need to clean things up a bit! :P

Linda

OK everyone, I did try to take pictures, but they were really crappy. Not a very good camera I guess! Well I've primed the drywall in my space 13X23, and primed and painted the bathroom.

The flooring will be in next week, and so will Belle. I have one more room to prime and a paint job on my own space (nope, Belle is not getting a pink room.) The ceiling and lighting will be in next week, too I guess...

Cynthia

Archived