Power lift & Hartley fence now/later?

Hi Anne, I have the hydraulic lift and I just love it. I have a bad back that bothers me from time to time, and this is absolutely a saving grace for you. Sit or stand, whichever works, so lift or lower as needed -- perfect.

I don't know anything about the Hartley Fence, but have a look at this thread and see what you think.

Good luck!

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=19287

Hey, Anne,

Congratulations on your "Freedom"! I have the Hydraulics on my Freedom (easier to add it on as you are putting together your machine/table , rather than wait).

I also have the Hartley Fence. But have not used it (too technical for my "pea" brain - even though I took Myrna's class and have her DVD). I ended up with the Circle Lord, which I use all the time.

I've had my Millennium for a little over a year--if I could, I'd have the lift in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, the darn yurt is costing way more than anticipated--no lift:(, but I will have an awesome studio:P

Congrates on purchasing the Fredom....you won't be sorry!

Anne, I'm only 5FT tall so I don't have the lift. The only time that I wish I had it is when I have to crawl under the machine for something.

I don't know much about the Hartley but the Circle Lord is fantastic. Since the Hartley and Circle Lord are a bit pricey you might want to wait until your comfortable with your machine to jump into large purchases. Others on here also rave about the quiltazoid and topper so there's other options to consider also. Isn't this fun!!!

The lift is definitely on my short list. I've had my machine for 2 years now and love it but find that there are times I want it higher and others that I want it lower. I'm 5'8". It has been hard to find that sweet spot for me. I usually sit while I'm quilting, even doing panto's but when I'm working on a custom quilt I find myself standing more and then the machine is too low. I don't have the Hartley fence but would highly recommend the Quiltazoid. The Quiltazoid attaches easily to the front of the machine (or the back) and it gives you a done of design options. You can do templates or the spirograph designs. There are just a ton of options and it goes so quickly. Well worth the money and personally I think it is the best bang for buck! Here is the link for that quiltazoid.com Good luck with your new machine!

I have a lift on my table and I think it is the best. It really is worth every penny. I also have the Hartly fence but dont use it very much. I also have the Circle Lord system with lots of extra goodies and I love using it. I suggest getting the lift now and wait on the decision of a Hartley Fence, Circle Lord, Topper, etc. Once you start using your machine you will know better where you want to put your money.

Pamela

I wish I had the lift. My kids also quilt with me and I have to get creative in finding things for them to stand on while quilting. :D

I have access to a Hartley fence still..and it is terrific, however, I purchased the Quiltazoid and it suits all my needs. I can use it from the front of the machine and do all sorts of things with it. Besides, it has well over 600 spirograph designs and can use a multitude of templates on the market for doing continuous patterns. EZ boards, RnS boards, CircleLord templates, and Quiltazoid's own templates.

Connie is right, you might want to wait for the additional tool purchases until you have gotten used to your new system, and then research all the tools on the market. :)

• 1 month later...

Ginny, the lift is $1500. Whenever I want to know about the APQS features I go to the comparison chart on the web site. If you click on the name of the feature you get additional information about some of them. Congratulations on the wonderful Christmas gift you are getting!

http://www.apqs.com//machines_compare.php

I am also 5'2". There are times working from the front of the machine when I wish I could lower it (its already down as far as it will go). I don't like working from the back of the machine, but if I had lifts, I would raise the machine slightly to work the pantos. It is certainly not horrible to work from the back of the machine with the machine at its lowest point, at least for me. I think it might be different if I sat to work on the machine. The height might need to be adjusted then to accomodate the height of the saddle stool. I don't quilt for hours on end. It is more of a "two hours in the afternoon" type thing. While lifts might be nice to have, I don't see they would be worth the money to me personally.

I'm 5' 11" and I bought the lift. I like to lower when I do a pantograph so I can see more of the quilt while working from the back. I'd also like to get my little cousin involved and I wanted to be able to lower it for her. Then my friend said that sometimes when she's quilting a lot, lowering an inch takes some pressure off her back. And installing it from the beginning is probably easier.

I'd wait to get any kind of extra system just to see what you really want to do with your quilting. Good luck with your machine, you'll just love it.

Archived