Help Dating Old Tops & Fabrics??

Hi.

Are there any reliable sources for dating old quilt tops and fabrics? Not going all out with an official appraisal, just an approximate dating to determine if the top should be finished for use today - or left as it is - so it is not "runied".

I was about to quilt one on my Liberty when my friend said finishing it would ruin it its value. The family just wants it done so they can use it. I'm stuck in the middle! Help.

Thanks!

Lisa Burghart

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

post--13461902905058_thumb.jpg

Holly is correct on this...this one is only as valuable as the family feels it is. The fabrics on this one are from the 70's and 80's I would double that very few are older than that.

However, yes there is a book...not sure of the name right now,(I will see if I can find it for you) but I believe it was written by Barbara Brackman...its has samples of EACH fabric from the 1800's to present day about 1960's unless she has updated the book to come further into the 20th and 21st century.

PS sorry wasn't Barbara but here is the link to the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dating-Fabrics-Color-Guide-1800-1960/dp/0891458840

Bonnie, thanks for the link. I'll get that book.

I have a Barbara Brackman book on America's Printed Fabrics 1770 to 1890, which has nice quilt patterns and shows types of fabrics from those years. The one you recommended looks more thorough, thanks.

Holly, you are right. I agree it should be finished, used and loved! It is nice and in good shape but not museum quality...by a long shot. I'll go forward.

Speaking of ebay type re-makes, have you seen those cute stuffed animals made of old patchwork and old towels? Many gift shops seem to carry them. I feel sad for the quilts that they should have been.

Thanks ladies!!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

Archived