Favorite/Best Sewing Table??

Hi.

I'm sewing (DSM for bindings& piecing) on a old desk and it is time to upgrade to a bigger sewing table. I have the space, so it will be out all the time and does not have to be able to fold up teeny-tiny.

What do you have and do you like it? And, what do you not like about it?? Those lifts look good for changing bobbins. Would **love** a flat sewing surface.

Thanks!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

I have Horn of America cabinets for each of my machines. They do have the ability to fold up, but that doesn't mean that it ever happens!!! Only when I am rearranging! I have the basic one with drawers on the right and swivel trays on the inside of the door on the left for my machine that also embroiders. It does have the lift (I wouldn't ever get one without that!). The cabinet my most used for piecing, binding, etc. machine is on is the more deluxe model, It has the lift, 2 drawers and a pull-out box/door on the left. The right has the side arm for a serger (or iron and pad, or other wonderful needed stuff). The back panel folds up to make a 40 by 60 work area.

I got the brand because I liked the lift mechanism, the drawers worked better than Koala, and the back panel is great. I have quilted queen sized quilts on that cabinet. One of the benefits of the back panel always being up is that the 3-drawer plastic roller units fit under the panel between the outsides and in between the gate legs. Sure holds a lot of my supplies. I really like having the drawers readily available for the main supply of thread, scissors, the toolbox for the machine fits in the second drawer, and extra feet, and little things always needed in the area.

My table for George is very similar and his back panel is also where I have more 3 drawer units holding my fabrics.

I also have a Horn cabinet. Mine folds up and the door closes. I bought this type because I had several kids at home then, and they used the rec room to play video games and watch TV, etc, so at that time I did not have a dedicated room for sewing. I also didn't have a LA at that time, either.

It was great to close it up and not worry about it. Now I mostly leave it open, unless I am going away for a week or two, then I "clean-up." Or, if I am having company, I can clean up a bit.

Those sewing cabinets that fold up into a pretty piece of furniture are very nice indeed, but instead of getting one of those, I bought an oak dining room table (on sale) at the furniture store. It's big and it's solid. I'm happy with it. I have a dedicated sewing room so no need to put things away like I used to when the sewing room took over my bedroom! I have a large extended table attached to my sewing machine so I have a flat surface to work from. Maybe some day I'll get a cabinet but for now this works good.

Gene built my table as well...he took an old executive solid desk and cut the hole that will fit my Janome's and now I have an inserted machine with a flat table.... AND I built the other one out of an old folding table...also cut a hole and inserted the sewing machine....

Someday I want a Horn but till them these will be just fine.

I use computer desks that I purchased at Staples. They have a keyboard drawer which I use for storing accessories and supplies, with a smaller drawer and open shelves to the right for additional supplies. DH cut the desk legs down to get the desks at a more appropriate height for me. I have the DSM I sew on, along with the TV, DISH box and DVD player on one, the machine that I embroider on is on another, and on a third I have my computer with a shelf unit that gives me additional storage. All are set up in a "U" formation so everything is handy. I have an acrylic table that fits around my DSM to give an additional flat surface area for sewing. The stackable drawer units come in handy for storing additonal items. I'd like nice cabinets, also, but what I have works great.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Holly once you have it set at the right level then the lift goes up or down in the right increments and you don't have to get it "right" again. I've seldom closed my cabinet up but I wanted to make sure I had the option to do so if I needed to.

Really? I feel silly now but I'm still afraid. It's probably all froze up after all these years of never moving. I'll have to try it, after a couple shots of tequila. For courage, you know.

Holly, have you ever taken the tag off of the lift mechanism since you got it? I still have mine on there because that's what tells me how to adjust the height of the lift so it is just right. I moved it a bit once and it works for all three of my machines that I've used in it.

I know it is an expense for each of us when we buy a new cabinet, but I had a dealer that did a great job on sales and discounts. It was well worth my saving the money to get them when the sale came.

Another added benefit, they all come with casters and are easy to move when needed. Mine are on carpet and still not a problem.

i have a koala cabinet. sounds like the horn that all the others are talking about. spot for a serger on the right - lots of drawers and they work just fine for me - fold up table out the front which is great for quilting larger items (of course i will not be using that much since i have my lola:)).....i got mine in january many years ago when i lived in michigan. it was a floor sample with a couple of small cosmetic dings so they gave me mucho dinero off the price. i LOVE it. it has the lift mechanism but i hardly ever use it unless i am giving my bernina a big cleaning, i can change the bobbin just by feel - good luck with your decision!

I have the Horn Quilters Dream with the drawer cabinet added. I love the room it gives me for munipulating large quilts. I have a Bernina 820 so I needed the extra strong lift.

http://www.hornofamerica.com/products.cfm?func=productdetails&productID=92

I also have several arrow cabinets too, they're good medium priced cabinets. I'm a sewing machine junkie, I have 7 plus 2 Brother 6 needle embroidery machines, 1 Serger (never used) and my best buddy "gator" (millie).

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Originally posted by hmerrill

Holly once you have it set at the right level then the lift goes up or down in the right increments and you don't have to get it "right" again. I've seldom closed my cabinet up but I wanted to make sure I had the option to do so if I needed to.

Really? I feel silly now but I'm still afraid. It's probably all froze up after all these years of never moving. I'll have to try it, after a couple shots of tequila. For courage, you know.

LOL have a shot for me!:P:P:P:P

My Sewing table is actually a recycled Breakfast Counter.

A Neighbor was remodeling his kitchen and put this 8 foot long cabinet out on the sidewalk.

I told Bob that I "needed" that for the sewing room. He just smiled and went and brought it home.

It has worked out wonderfully!!!

On the Bar side, I have both machines set up and still have room for cutting.

The other side has all the drawers and cubbies for my "STUFF".

And it was FREE!!!

The only set back may be the Height. It works great for me, ( I'm 6' tall as is Bob).

Laura

early on I decided I wanted to spend $$$$ on a cutting table ... i was hating cutting fabric at not-the-right height and a good cutting table was my priority. So Mr. Santa brought me one several Christmas's ago. So cutting table was main priority and my sewing table is just a 6-7 foot long basic table with my two Featherweights on it. I have plenty of room and I use every bit of it. And since I'm sitting, it seems the height is OK for me. One of these days, though, Mr. Dancing Bear will surprize me with a REAL sewing table! Hope it is BIG with plenty of room on top for all my 'stuff' ... ha! Bear ... stuff ... but I am not a stuffy bear! I dance, I twirl, I waltz, I glide ... and I have a wonderful time with my New Toy Max! Take a bow ... and exit.

I have a Horn cabinet though I don't use it as the sitting position does net let me sit straight on to the needle.

Instead I use a folding camp table that I have adjusted to the right height for this vertically challenged sewer with another 4ft folding table as an extension. A further 4ft folding table my DH has put extension legs on for a cutting table.

Check where your needle and seat can fit before buying a new cabinet. Especially if you have one of the longer throat DSM.

Lyn