...Just the binding left to do...

Hey there.

This is my first post to this forum, but I've been lurking for months, getting inspiration from all your photos.

I only make a few quilts a year and only quilt my own (just as well, given how slowly I get around to things >grin<). I have a Juki TL98-Q on a frame, so am somewhat limited by my quilting area.

Attached are some pics of a quilt I've been making for my sister. It was supposed to be for her birthday in November ... 2008 - hopefully she'll get it this February >sigh<.

The request was for "something Thai-related, in reds and white-gold". I sent her pictures of various patterns and this was the one she picked, with my embellishments at the corners.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

post--13461903012143_thumb.jpg

I had no idea how hard it would be to get the large cream triangles the right size (I had to do all the math myself, since I was working from a photo of the pattern), and I ended up using a truly nasty piece of faux-silk that I found at Wal-Mart (not somewhere I would normally shop for fabrics but it was the perfect colour/type for this project, even if it was nasty) for the border.

Unfortunately, because of these two things, the border was super-wavy >ack< so my only choice was piano keys.

Even more unfortunately, I didn't have the quilting space using my Juki to do the whole width of the border, so had to add some curlies to make it work.

In the large cream areas I did freehand vines/leaves/berries and was pleased how they turned out, given that it was working *very* free-flowing.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

post--13461903012541_thumb.jpg

There are two more completed tops sitting waiting to be quilted (one with my first attempt at trapunto, so we'll see how that turns out). Biggest challenge is avoiding quilting so dense that the quilt is stiff as a board. I need to experiment with some finer thread - I like my quilts to drape and be usable.

Anyway, thanks for looking. As I said, I've gotten so much inspiration looking at all your photos that I wanted to post some in return.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Hey Luce...a post of quilts sans ponies....amazing! Glad to see you posting; now you need to add your pic so everyone can see you!

Oh, and for those of you reading Lucy's post--she's Brittish, so you must read them with the correct accent:D

Will you do the binding before you leave for DVE?

I can't believe you just looked at a picture and were able to make that quilt. I'd have to have my friend Theresa help me with that one. It's really very pretty.

Thanks for reminding me about Leah Day's blog. I did look at it and then promptly forgot, as usual.

I really, really, really love the way you did the piano key border with the little swirls. See, you use what you have and make it work. Me, I just sold my HQ16 and bought the Millenium. I'm going to save the picture to my favorites so I can remember how to do the border. Have a great holiday!

Originally posted by DoryJM

Will you do the binding before you leave for DVE?

>snort< I'll be lucky to get the trailer packed, the pones washed and rasped, and get out at a decent time on 26th. They are currently filthy and full of witchy knots.

I'm banking on some down-time when we get back to get some quilting done.

Thanks for all your kind words, people!

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Archived