Self Winding Bobbins

Busy Quilting

Mary Beth and Shana its a Maths thing!!!!!

I have just self wound a full 3000yd cone of Bottomline thread using my turbo winder.

I was able to get 32 aluminium bobbins wound from it.

So that means each bobbin is about 94 yards.

If you buy Wholesale from Superior that is about US 24 cents each.

BUT it took me 11 minutes to wind 10 bobbins. So if you put a dollar value on your time of say 35c a minute. Then it took about 40c of time to wind it.

So really it costs about 64c to self wind your own bobbins at wholesale prices.

By buying superbobs by the dozen at wholesale prices you would save 50%.

Since I need 240 + bobbins for the World's Biggest Hexagon Quilt I'm off to buy 2 gross of prewounds, saving me time and money.

Lyn

Who has now quilted 10metres of the WBHQ.

• 1 year later...

It does seem a lot easier to use the prewounds, but.......

SuperBobs costing:

$68.00 for 144/ 118yds per bobbin

$68.00 for 16,992 yds

$136.00 for 33,984 yds

$45.00 for 33,000 yd cones

So SuperBobs 3x the cost of 33,000yd cone of Bottom Line

Am I correct in this deduction?

Do I order metal OR aluminium bobbins?

So i'm not sure how to even start this post. I have prewounds in beige and white. I like to use all different colors of bobbins on my quilts. So essentially if I wanted to use prewounds all the time, I would have to order them in every color that I use for my bobbin color. Do you use only a set number of bobin colors on your quilts. I would need another cabinet or space to store all those bobbins in. So I guess I'm asking? What colors and how many colors of prewounds do you use?

Originally posted by Littleshoes

So i'm not sure how to even start this post. I have prewounds in beige and white. I like to use all different colors of bobbins on my quilts. So essentially if I wanted to use prewounds all the time, I would have to order them in every color that I use for my bobbin color. Do you use only a set number of bobin colors on your quilts. I would need another cabinet or space to store all those bobbins in. So I guess I'm asking? What colors and how many colors of prewounds do you use?

Superior Threads now has it that you can order a 1/2 gross of 72 bobbins, but you can mix the colors........have to get at least 12 of each, but a good way to get a variety of colors without having to buy 72 or 144 of the same color. So, you can figure out which colors you would probably use the most and go from there. MOST of the time, I can use a white,cream, taupe, black or gray that will blend with a lot of backs. There ARE those few times that they won't and you need a matching thread.

LittleShoes - I have a big red tool box that I purchased at Home Depot. The top 3 little drawers are full of prewound bobbins.

I took a case with me when I was shopping for the tool box, so I knew how they would fit. 2 deep - 5 wide, makes 10 boxes per drawer.

** That is as much math as I want to do today too by the way!!! **;)

The big drawer on the bottom holds other supplies. I was able to squeeze a plastic liner for a silverware drawer in there, so I have compartments for markers, chalk, q-tips, etc.....

I do have 3 or those rings for my metal bobbins to fit in that I wind for other colors I need.

As many as you get - you will still want more!! :cool::cool:

Thanks for doing the Math on pre wounds. When I first saw the title of your posting, I thought---Finally someone (perhaps APQS) has devised a machine that has a continuously fed bobbin! Dream On! :)

I've just started using Fil-Tec Magna Glide bobbins, and while I'm sure they don't last as long as Super Bob's, I am pleasantly surprised at the quilting I get completed before they run out. It must be the tight, compressed winding that can never be achieved with a regular bobbin and machine winder----If, and when I do wind my own (now I avoid it I'm getting so spoiled with the pre wounds)---I use So-Fine and Aluminum L bobbins.

Again, thank you for the the info.

Archived