how to baste

Hello Elizabeth

Great choice of machines, I as well have a Liberty and LOVE everything about it!

Lets hear it for the Liberty Ladies!!!:D

Are you are asking how to baste a quilt in preperation of either hand quilting or tying for yourself or a customer? If sew you have a few options which I will try to explain for you. Load the rollers like you always do and then either using cotton thread or water soluable thread you can begin stitching across the surface of the quilt using large U's The U or W (with no points) will encompass allot of the quilt surface and will be easier to remove when it is not needed. No need to secure any stiches at the beginning or ending of a row either as this will be the ONLY situation that we will want the stitching to come undone (other then frog stitching that is) ((wink)) If you use washaway thread in both the top and the bobbin then this will dissapear once the quilt is washed or spritzed with water.

Hope this helps, holler if I can help you further.

Have fun!

Hi Elisabeth

I suggest a continuous U because it is easier to pull out later when the basting is no longer needed. It also encompases most of the fabric. Just my way....others may prefer another method still. You find the way that works best for you and run with itl :D

Clear as mud yet? ;)

for what its worth....when i baste a quilt on the machine i just sew lines across the quilt about 4-6 inches apart......that has worked so far but i never thought about the soluable thread....i will have to do that on the next one....

marie

Hi,

I was wondering if, those of you who have more experience with basting, can tell me how the fabric responds once the basting stitches are taken out.

I'm thinking that it can take me a llllloooonnnnggg time to finish a hand-quilted piece.

Does the fabric get permanent holes?

Does it matter which thread you use: cotton or poly?

The idea of soluble thread is super.

Will it last?.....unless I take it out in the rain, of course.

Gee, I'm learning a lot here!

Thanks.

Linda/9patch

Guest Linda S

Linda - this will all depend on needle size, the type of thread you use to baste, the type of fabric you are basting, etc. I've been a hand-quilter for years and "basted" my quilts with safety pins. The little holes always seemed to disappear after the pins were removed, as I imagine the needle/thread holes from basting would. Of course, I make quilts out of pre-washed fabric and I make quilts that are usually intended to be washed, so that makes a difference too.

Linda

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Janet,

Superior has a water soluble called Vanish that I use for trapunto. It comes in two weights and two sizes of cones. It is pricey to use for basting IMHO. I baste with a slippery poly in a contrasting color to make both seeing the stitching and removing it easy for the customer. Usually hand-quilters will use a hoop to stabilize the area to be quilted and remove the basting stitches as they progress. That way the basting stitches are out of the way as they quilt. Leaving the basting stitches in the quilt until the end and then removing with water seems like an extra step--again IMHO!!:)

Hi Elizabeth,

The U shape is just a wavy line across the quilt. The U shape makes it a deep wave. Make it about 4 inches deep and 4 across. Use your lonest stich length or turn off the regulator, slow down the motor and move quickly. You can also go acros down, across, up, and so on in a squre shape but the U's go faster and do the same thing. The holes go way when the quilt is washed or if you use water soluable thread they may go away «ight then.

Congratulations on your Liberty! How long have you had her? Have you named her? Inquoring minds want to know! Welcome to the forum and visit often, please, we are a wonderfully fun bunch!

Archived